“Advantage fine dining break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chilston Park Hotel

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Advantage fine dining break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked a two night fine dining break as we were attending a weekend event in Canterbury, and were tempted by the excellent reputation of Chilston Park. To ensure we secured a booking, we booked at the end of August 2012, for mid August 2013, so almost a year ahead. This deal required payment in full in advance, which is non-returnable but a good rate. Two days before our arrival, so Thursday lunctime, when we were due to arrive Saturday, we were contacted by the booking team and advised that due to a problem with the booking system, we could not stay on Sunday night. We were offered a room at the associated hotel - Brands Hatch Place Spa Hotel, or they would find us a similar grade hotel in Canterbury, after I explained why we were in Kent. In truth, Brands Hatch Place was a satisfactory solution in terms of our route home, so we took that option, but the big problem was that we had to take all our luggage with us into Canterbury on Sunday which meant an extra early start, so that we could repack before leaving. This was an inconvenience which we did not expect.
On arrival the reception staff seemed to know nothing about the late changes. It would have been nice to have been given a proper explanation by someone from the management team, but that did not happen. One of the staff informed us that an exclusive occupancy wedding was booked in for Sunday, but that must have been booked in for some time. An apology, and perhaps a complimentary glass, or bottle of wine would have been appropriate, but none of this happened, it was all very matter of fact. So the moral of my story is that even if you book and pay well ahead, your booking may not be honoured.
Now on to the stay. All the staff are a delight to deal with. They are friendly, and attentive, and nothing is too much trouble. Our room was well equipped and comfortable with a four poster bed. The bathroom was pleasant enough, but showing signs of being ready for a refurb - yellowing radiator, and grouted holes in the tiles over the bath where the safety rail had been removed. If your room is at the rear, then you may hear the bins being filled with empty bottles, late afternoon - it was quite noisy for a time. The food is top quality here. We had sandwiches for lunch with a portion of chips, and the chips are the best I've ever had without a doubt. Evening meal was gourmet quality for every course. It really is that good. The dining room is exactly how you expect a country house should be with a remarkable plaster ceiling.
There was a good buffet spread at breakfast which we couldn't reall take advantage of, having to dash off early. The lounge and bar area are packed with antique furniture, but some of the seating is so patinised with age and wear that it really should either be restored or replaced.
Overall an enjoyable stay, spoilt for us by the way the booking situation was handled.
On the matter of traffic noise mentioned by another reviewer, it's nothing more than a distant hum, so did not affect our stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Guest
Having just returned from a period of annual leave I am most sorry to read about your experience regarding having to change your plans due to an error within our reservations system. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this and the lack of guest care shown when you arrived at the hotel. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the lack of contact on arrival to the team who where handling the situation as you are quite right to expect some contact to both welcome you to the hotel and offer personal apologies for our error.

I am pleased that overall the rest of your stay met your expectations with the quality of food offered standing out for special praise. This is indeed very positive to read.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, your time is very much appreciated.
Gareth Davies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

On 5th August my sister got married at Chilston Park Manor. What a fantastic weekend. Beautiful bulilding set in stunning grounds. I can not fault this weekend it was definately five star all the way, it was spotless, clean and beautiful. The staff were fantastic, nothing was to much bother, ,polite , clean and very smartly dressed, they all need a pay rise and are a credit to their boss.The food was delicious, hot and everything run so smoothly. The whole wedding day, and evening was great, breakfast was great, the rooms were great. I felt like i had won the lottery, every single guest loved the whole event, Thank you Kerrin and staff, brill

Room Tip: You couldnt choose between them, all winners 5*
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for such a fantastic review, it is wonderful to read that your sisters wedding was such an enjoyable celebration. I am delighted that Kerrin and his team had such a positive impact upon the day and ensured that the days events ran smoothly. I will certainly pass on your comments to all concerned and I am sure that they will be really pleased that there efforts made the day so special.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We had friends who were having a civil partnership in this beautiful hotel set in a splendid location in Kent. We wanted to arrive just after 2 pm in order to settle into our Room (Johnson), take a shower and change into our smart clothes ready for the first function - afternoon tea at 3.00 pm. Unfortunately our room (along with other guests) was not ready so we spent 15 mins hot and tired in the reception area with our luggage. Not an auspicious start but once we had moved our cases in and had a hot shower with a change of clothes one felt very refreshed! I was not happy with the receptionist who did not seem perturbed at guests standing around and did not apologise for the wait.

After this the whole day was wonderful! The grounds were we had afternoon tea are beautifully set out and I saw 4 different butterflies on the buddleia. The sandwiches, scones, jam and thick cream were superb. At 5.00 pm was the civil and at 7 pm - a meal that was perfectly cooked. I can understand why people would be inclined to book the Christmas Day meal which was advertised ar £118 as the three courses were a gastronomic delight! The room we stayed had a wonderful bed, a well-stocked bathroom and was very quiet. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel. I did note that the wines were quite expensive - a large glass of house white close to £8 and a bottle of Pinot Grigio was £32.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Johnson Room.
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Chilston Park, I am pleased that overall your stay as an enjoyable one and celebrations went so very well.
Here at the hotel we do operate a 3pm check in time. Wherever possible we do our very best to honour any requests for arrival times prior to this time. I am sorry that on this occasion you had a short wait whilst your room was prepared, but I am glad that we were able to check you in prior to our normal check in time allowing you time to prepare for the ceremony.
From speaking with the special couple I know that the cuisine offered throughout the day was just what they wanted and I am delighted that it was also well received by yourself.
I certainly do hope that you choose to join us for our popular Christmas celebration package. The hotel really is a special place during the festive period.
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We held our wedding reception at Chilston Park on 20th July and the whole day was perfect. The quality of the food and wine is second to none and the staff worked tirelessly throughout the whole day to ensure we had the best day of our lives. Nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed in the Camelot room on our wedding night which was wonderful, and the Tudor Suite the night after, which was out of this world.

All the staff are so friendly and helpful, the location beautiful and the ambience exceptional.

Do not hesitate to visit this hotel, we can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
I am delighted that your recent wedding celebrations held here at Chilston Park were so successful and you thoroughly enjoyed your special day. It is wonderful to read that the team looked after you so very well during the day, I will be sure to share these comments with them.
Thank you for the review and I hope that we will see you at the hotel again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I can't praise this place highly enough: location, room quality, customer service, food - all exceeded our expectations. Following the travel advice on the hotel's website ensured we had a painless journey finding the location - if however we had relied on the SatNav we would have been taken on a journey into the heart of darkness which are single track rural Kent roads. The room was clean, tastefully furnished and had every amenity we could have wished for. Without exception, every member of staff we encountered from the moment we set foot into the hotel was courteous, enthusiastic and helpful - they really went out of their way to ensure we had a great stay - I will not single out specific people as everyone deserves praise for their positive demeanour. And last but certainly not least - the food; having read a number of reviews on here I was steeling myself for the fact that possibly this would be the weak link but it was the complete opposite - the dinner was out of this world and the breakfast was similarly spectacular - set in the fantastic surroundings of the Orangery. We loved it and cannot wait to visit again.

Room Tip: The Oriental room has a fantastic double aspect.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind words, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is really positive to read that so many aspects of your stay stood out for mention, especially the quality of cuisine offered within our restaurant.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Nottingham England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel is situated in the country but with some traffic noise from the nearby main road. The main building is an old house but with a more recent addition at the side. There are also rooms in the converted outbuildings which are described as mews.
The main business of the hotel appears to relate to weddings.
The staff were helpful and pleasant once you had dug the receptionist out of the back room. The lounge and restaurant are in the old house and are decorated in period style. The food was good and the breakfast very good.
The major drawback is the quality of the rooms of which we saw 4. The general view was that they were in urgent need of refurbishement and maintenance. There was damp in the bathroom, the light cord had lost its toggle and the room was dark and gloomy with a single window. The wardrobe had 3 coathangers and was largely occupied by a large ironing board. (These features were reported from the other 3 rooms as well). The boiler failed in the morning and as a consequence, there was no hot water in 2 rooms.
I notice that the manager makes a point of answering reviews on Tripadvisor but perhaps his / her time would be better spent looking at the quality of the rooms. A good location and helpful staff are let down by poor maintenance.

Room Tip: Diificult to make a suggestion on the basis of our experience although other travellers have suggest...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adrian Ross
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor, I am sorry that that the several bedrooms that you were offered during your stay failed to meet your expectations. We do have a rolling maintenance plan in place within the hotel and are consistently working to improve our bedroom facilities. In recent weeks we have completed mini refurbishments of both our Austin and Hawks moor bedrooms and are committed to delivering the same level of improvement over as many rooms as possible in the coming months. Your comments will, I am sure be useful to us during this program. As a side note I do indeed take time to respond to all reviews placed upon this site as I feel that taking the time to acknowledge and engage with our guests is a high priority and simply good manners. I generally do this in my own time so that I can be as impactful as possible when at the hotel.
General Manger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a truly faultless stay at Chilston Park. On arrival we had afternoon tea which was impeccably served by a very personable and polite young man. Unfortunately we didnt take note of his name. Back at reception we were told that our room was now ready and that our luggage had already been taken up for us. Nice touch. Our room was lovely and spotlessly clean. A few moments later there was a courtesy call from reception to ask if we had settled into our room and was there anything we needed at all. How impressive! Dinner that night was lovely and we were taken through the menu and wine list by Ben, who thanks to his professionalism and enthusiasm would not be out of place in a leading hotels in the world. Breakfast again, was of a high quality and beautifully served. We were loathe to check out, and will definitely be returning very soon. We have stayed in many hotels around the country, but overall this has to be our favourite. Please dont take notice of some awful reviews, I cant believe it could be the same place!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Angel4348
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your leisure break here at Chilston Park. It is great to read that Ben and the rest of the team delivered such a high standard of guest care to you during your stay and this enabled you to really relax and enjoy your stay.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Lympne
Dog & Bear Hotel
Dog & Bear Hotel
#2 of 3 in Lenham

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!