“The place to relax and unwind”

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just spent to very laid back relaxed nights at the Chilston Park with my wife to get away from life for a couple of days
We had a package deal with social escapes so had room breakfast afternoon tea and a dinner all included
The afternoon tea in the lounge room next to the open fire was truly a quaint English experience even just sitting and watching staff and guest coming and going , the sandwiches and scones were to die for and I can see why guest just go to Chilston just for the tea

Our room was a old cottage room with a door to outside courtyard so strange in not having the typical hotel corridor but handy to just pop out for a stroll to the lake , it was clean and a twist of modern and old ( though strange not to have a bath in it)

On our second evening we had a meal in the reasturant which was again a lovely experience and fantastic food

Throughout the hotel from reception to the bar and resturant staff they could never do enough for you and always welcoming , I spent time just sitting by the bar watching both the staff waltzing around the rooms attending to all the guest needs and strolling around staring at all the fantastic array of artefacts and stunning decoration of the building

I would highly recommend a stay just to relax and be treated like a VIP for a day or 2 can't wait to return so I'm already eagerly awaiting any future deals

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chelseaspencer
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, I am delighted that your stay was such an enjoyable one. It is great to read that so many aspects of your time with us stood out for mention especially our Restaurant and Bar team who looked after you so well.
I very much hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked this Handpicked hotel for our wedding anniversary. Having stayed at various HP hotels, we thought we'd try Chilston Park. Having paid extra for a Mews suite, I was expecting a nice room.

The Reynolds suite (ground floor) consisted of a living room, bedroom & two bathrooms & my intial impressions were very good. However, we were surprised at 6pm to hear what appeared to be a heard of elephants going up the stairs to the upstairs room. At the time, I thought maybe this was for "maintenance" as we didn't realise there was an upstairs room. Unfortunately, we were woken up at 12.30AM when the "elephant" returned & all we heard was creaking floor boards, toilet flushing - it was if the person was in the room with us. Unfortunately, we heard exactly the same noise at 6AM - I almost felt obliged to pass the guest a towel when they were in the bath!!

Having googled the Reynolds room, I note the following from a TA report in 2011 "Firstly avoid the Reynolds room unless you don't mind listening to the people above tramping round their bedroom, listening to their conversation through the ceiling or hearing their bath / shower / toilet flushing.. " With the manager (at the time's response): "The noise from other rooms due to the floorboards has been discussed with our Maintenance Manager and we are confident that we are able to find a solution."...........obviously not alot has changed in 2 years!! It was almost ironic to read the Welcome letter from the current manager of the hotel: "Our aim is to provide you with a peaceful, relaxing and memorable stay". I'm not sure why the hotel is charging a premium on this room: AVOID
Some other minor points: when we checked in to the hotel, there was no mention of the car park being dug up the next day and/or request to move our car. The request to move our car happended after about an hour from checking in which interrupted our afternoon snooze. Also, there was no mention that the car park works would commence at 8.30AM outside our window. What with the noise from the car park, a delivery van dropping off supplies outside our front door could hardly be heard - all contributing to the "peaceful and relaxing" mood!

It's a shame that the "noise" issues spoilt the "good" parts of our stay. The dining package was excellent & the food/wine/service could not be faulted. The restaurant staff were very friendly & although there were only x3 couples dining in the main room, the service was excellent.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob666
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Guest
I am sorry that on this occasion your expectations were not met. It is our aim to deliver to our guests a relaxing and enjoyable stay and as you will be aware from the looking through all the reviews posted to find comments relating to our Reynolds room made in 2011 on the vast majority of reviews we deliver this to the satisfaction of our guests. I am disappointed that on this occasion we failed to do this and am of course apologetic.

I am unaware of what plans or actions were undertaken by the previous manager to address any noise concerns when raised and feel that it would unfair of me to comment on this. However I am aware of the plans that I have instigated and am committed to delivering to address any concerns relating to any issues noise in this area of the hotel. Earlier in the year the rooms above this area had additional acoustic reduction flooring installed and on top of this noise cancelling underlay was laid. This action reduced noise issues significantly but we have committed with further actions to ensure that any issue is fully addressed. Our Reynolds room is planned to have a secondary ceiling installed which will be packed with noise cancelling installation, alongside this the entrance to the room will have a lobby fitted that will reduce noise from the external of the building. This work has already been undertaken in the room next door to our ReynoIds room with very impressive results. I do hope that you appreciate that this level of work to a listed building takes time to plan and work into the schedule of a busy property. I do hope that we will have this work fully completed by early 2014 for the benefit of all of our guests.

Our commitment to improving the quality of our guests experience does not just extend to buildings of the hotel, this is why we took the opportunity to address the surface of the hotel car park when our contractor contacted us with a next day window of opportunity to attend site. These last minute arrangements were made on the day of your arrival and finalised after your check in to the hotel. I was personally in the car park organising the roping off of the areas that were to be addressed when you along with several other guests were asked if you would mind relocating your cars. During this time I spoke with several guests regarding the arrangements explaining the circumstances, apologies if you were not one of these guests. During the program of the works our contractor was instructed not to begin work until after 9am, I am sorry if these arrangements were not honoured, please accept my apologies.

It is pleasing to read that several other aspects of your stay met your expectations and the service delivered met our normally high standards.

I do hope that I have been able to explain the circumstances surrounding your experience and once again extend my apologies for any disappointment caused.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were so lucky to be asked to our friends 40th wedding party celebrations and were really looking forward to the happy event!
On arrival the staff had no idea where we were to go, we were then sent to 2 different bars, us and fellow guests waited for over 1/2 hour before drinks were served.
meal was ok nothing more!
Waiting staff were far too young and had little idea what to do.
So sad for our friends that a special day was spoilt by sloppy service

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank anniech28

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to record your thoughts on Trip adviosr. I am of course aware that our normal standards of service delivery were not met during your friends celebratory event. This is something that I have recognised and apologised for within my direct communication with the organisers of the event. On this occasion we clearly did not meet the parties expectations, which thankfully a rare occurrence for us. We are of course regretful of this situation and offer the appropriate apologies to all concerned.
Regards

Reviewed 27 October 2013

After a particularly long and hectic week at work our nights stay at Chilston Park was just what the doctor ordered. As commented upon by most of the reviewers all of the staff we came in contact with were both friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Gilt room which was at the front of the building. A beautiful room with an exquisite super large four poster. This was a lovely surprise as my partner and I were celebrating our fourth anniversary. Dinner was lovely as was breakfast. We enjoyed a walk around the grounds which were equally as enchanting as the hotel itself. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are considering organising a big celebration there next year. A big thank you to all at Chilston Park for making our weekend memorable.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments following your stay with us at Chilston Park. I am really delighted that your stay was such an enjoyable one with so many positive aspects. I will be sure to share your comments with the team who looked after you so very well.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booked this as a stop off point (200 mile trip) to a cottage on the south-east coast so that we could be pampered before we had to start looking after ourselves. We weren't disappointed. A little bit difficult to find down the narrow country lanes but even though near the motorway/railway, it was peaceful. Our room was directly above the reception area but again no noise/disturbance only from people in other rooms who decided to have very loud conversations directly outside our door. We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was very good. The staff were very polite, friendly and attentive, although over 3 hours for a three course meal we felt was a little long. Breakfast was excellent. The rooms were very comfortable and the only thing we didn't like was that the sash windows were not a good fit and the breeze that came through was quite noticeable. We blocked the gaps with tissues.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, with the team and breakfast standing out for special recognition. I must also thank you for your constructive comments regarding a couple of finer points that we can improve upon, this feedback is really useful to us.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed recently to attend a function elsewhere, a lovely stay with a beautiful room four poster bed and comfortable room. Afternoon tea a delight, if you want a budget hotel it is not for you but what you get for your money is excellent , wished we could have stayed longer. Beautiful lake and grounds, slight noise from the M20 but nothing inside, warm and cosy with that country manor feeling. Staff were very attentive and always available to help with a genuine smile. Breakfast freshly cooked and plentiful.

Room Tip: Evelyn room was excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your short break with us. It is wonderful to read that the team were so attentive and delivered such a high level of service to you and the surroundings of the hotel met your expectations. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Without any doubt the best hotel we have stayed in. We have been fortunate to be able to stay in some of the finest hotels in the world and this hotel is definitely the best. The service is exceptional and it is a joy to stay in such beautiful surroundings and to enjoy staying I such a wonderful place. We stayed in the old building in la chinoiserie which was huge and filled with beautiful Chinese antiques. Restaurant has two rosettes but deserves Michelin stars . Blissful stay for us - first of many

Room Tip: Rooms in old building are exquisite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
I am thrilled that your stay was such a enjoyable experience and I thank you for choosing to record your thoughts on this website. I will certainly ensure that all members of our team are made aware of your wonderful comments and I very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
Hythe Imperial
Hythe Imperial
#1 of 3 in Hythe
Little Silver Country Hotel

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!