“Old English charm in the countryside”

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Lovely English manor turned hotel. Very historic feel, with decor and artwork that reflects its 800 year old history. Nice grounds, with a lake right in front and a bit of topiary as well. Leeds castle and other historic attractions close by. Staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious, and well appointed. Only gripe is the strength of wifi in the rooms is very inconsistent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed yourself whilst here at Chilston Park and thank you for your very positive comments. We currently only provide WIFI within our public areas and function spaces. It was most probably this system that was being received within your bedroom, hence the weak signal. We do have high speed internet connectivity within the rooms and even some portable hubs that can be utilised for Ipad’s and the like. But I am pleased to say that we are moving towards a more long term solution and are currently waiting for an install date for full WIFI service across all of the hotel bedrooms. I am sure that this will again enhance our guest experience and help our guest’s enjoy their time with us even more.
Gareth Davies

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Returned to the chilston park hotel and yet again had a great time, even though there was a wedding going on it did not mean a long wait for any service. The food in the restaurants was excellent as was the service we eat out on a regular basis and I can honestly say the food here was some of the best we have had.
We cannot wait to return

1  Thank united9
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for this wonderful review and for taking the time to post it. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you so well. I hope that we are able to welcome you back to teh hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Both our daughters have had reasons to stay at Chilston Park, both adored it, and now, happily, it was the turn of my husband and myself to experience this superb and historical hotel, which is part of the Hand Picked chain. From the moment we arrived at this lovely place, to be greeted by a charming and efficient receptionist and to be informed we had been upgraded to one of the character rooms, a fabulous experience lay in front of us. The porter taking our bags was also keen to ensure we had all the information we needed, and when we saw our room named "Gilt", we were thrilled. A fabulous four poster bed - on which we had a great night's sleep - lovely furnishings of the type you would expect in a Versaille, an eclectic selection of old books which I thoroughly enjoyed browsing, and a charming en suite of an extremely high standard, we felt we had stepped into another world and back in time. The view we had of the lake, fountain and garden was all we could hope for. Throughout the mansion were paintings, statues, carvings, chinaware etc which I could have spent days looking at if I had the time. A grand carved wooden staircase, and everywhere interesting and comfortable areas to just sit and enjoy the surroundings. We had afternoon tea as we were booked for dinner at 8pm. The choices of savories, cakes and a large variety of excellent teas was excellent. Then dinner! It was just the most delicious food possible. Beautifully fresh and often local sourced ingredients, cooked to perfection and perfectly presented. We were lucky enough to be cared for by the Restaurant Manager, Paul Fermor, and if anything else could have been done to make the evening perfect, it was Paul. Nothing was too much, the service was spot on, we were made to feel valued and cared for throughout. If we had not had such a lovely room to go to, we would have been almost sad to go to bed. Yet again breakfast the next morning only confirmed the high standards of Chilston Park. A lovely lady looking after us, beautiful surroundings, and food of the absolute best. I had the finest eggs benedict I have ever eaten, and my husband said his full English was delicious. After breakfast, with maps provided by the Receptionist, we went for a walk around the grounds, and despite the frequent downpours, we really enjoyed it. I can honestly say that on returning home we felt we had been away to another country and surely that is the purpose of a break like this. Cossetted, refreshed and feeling special, what more could you ask for. Thank you to everyone at Chilston Park for making our stay such a wonderful one. Our only problem was to find enough superlatives to use throughout this review. Go there and enjoy it for yourself, you will be sorry if you don't.

Room Tip: If you can, do have one of the "character" rooms, although I am sure other rooms too will...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Guest
How wonderful to read that your stay with us was such a successful and relaxing experience for you. I am really pleased that so many of the team went out of there way to ensure that you were well looked after and our normal attentive service levels were delivered throughout. I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future and thank you for taking the time to review your experience.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Once again we enjoyed an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast at Chilston Park and from the moment we arrived until driving away we had a fantastic stay.
We were in the Cromwell Suite and upon entry, our breathes were taken away by the size and décor of the suite.
We dined in the Culpeper restraint and the choice, quality, and presentation of each course was excellent.
Once again our gratitude must go to all the staff we met and in particular to Gareth Davies (General Manager ) who ensured a relaxed and enjoyable stay.

If your looking for a romantic, and special venue you should book a stay at Chilston Park, as you'll not regret making that decision.

Room Tip: All rooms are of an excellent standard in the Main House.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your latest review of the hotel and your very kind comments. It was delightful to be able to welcome you back to the hotel and I do hope that this will not be last time we see you.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My missus and I had a night at the hotel as a Christmas treat. We had a quick drink in the local,pub, the White Horse before arriving. We were shown to our room - Camelot - a four poster bed and beautifully decorated room greeted us. It really did have the wow factor. Though the hotel is gorgeous, it does have a tongue in cheek sense of uh our about itself which is very refreshing. I noticed one of the other rooms was named the miss marple room! We had dinner in the Culpepper room. There are three menus to choose from, thank god we didn't have the tasting menu , tempting though it was. We opted for the fantastic ala carte menu and were so full up we didn't manage the cheese and biscuits!!
Overall a lovely night, topped by a great breakfast just before sadly leaving.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott B
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your room and the dining experience you had met your expectations.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had our wedding at Chilston Park in Spring 2013, I've waited a few months to write this review because I wanted to wait for the 2 other couples we know who booked their weddings at the hotel to get married to see what their overall experience was like.

The staff from the moment we arrived for our wedding were exceptional, absolutely brilliant. Nothing was too much to ask. The lady who set the reception room up (I'm sorry I can't recall her name Becky or Vicky I think) was particularly lovely and on hand at every moment to help both myself and my husband. Guy the porter was also really helpful. The hotel itself is beautiful and the food was great, many of our guests commented on it. Our wedding day was a dream. Simply perfect.

Sadly the run up to the wedding was difficult and the aftermath absolutely appalling. Without this the hotel would be receiving 5 stars from us. We and the other couples we know who have booked Chilston found it very difficult making contact with the hotel, unreturned phone calls and e-mails being the main problem. Understandably they are very busy with weddings but this was frustrating particularly when you are eager for everything to work out well.

A week or so before the wedding we paid our final installment and received a contract confirming we had £0 outstanding it was surprising therefore to receive a bill for 2 rooms on the morning of checking out. Despite attempts to contact the hotel about this in the weeks following our wedding we (surprise surprise) had no return call. In fact the first correspondence we received was a solicitors letter via their head office threatening court action. We were shocked and devastated. We did not owe money for the 2 rooms and proved this with receipts and the contract showing a £0 balance.

To this day we have not received an apology. The hotel wrote to us and simply informed us they had "written the amount off" - I must emphasise that we did not owe any money!!

Overall I would say Chilston Park hotel as a wedding venue is beautiful however if you want a stress free time before and after your wedding then it certainly isn't for the faint hearted.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Charlotte W

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience here at Chilston Park. I am pleased that on the day of your event the team looked after you so well and thank you for these kind comments. However I do find myself confused regarding your portrayal of the events following on from the event which I believe to be not totally accurate. With this in mind feel that people reading this review should be entitled to hear our recollection of the events before placing any emphasis on this review. The hotel is does not take lightly the issuing of formal solicitors letters regarding outstanding balances. Thus we would only take this action if firstly we were 100% sure that monies were owed and secondly appropriate steps were taken to contact and try to resolve the issue. I have outlined the various attempts at contact that were made by us regarding the outstanding balance within my correspondence with you. I am also aware that you were fully aware of the situation by the fact that verbal discussions were had with your coordinator prior to my involvement in the situation. When these steps had not resolved the situation a letter was issued to you as you detail. I feel that the issuing of the letter on our behalf was justified and the acted as a catalyst to the situation being taken seriously and resolved. These discussions that followed led to a part payment being received from you, a detail that is missing from your recollection of the events and my gesture of good will to “write off” the remaining nominal balance in order to draw the situation to a close. After this agreement was reached you requested a detailed account as to why these monies were still outstanding something that was provided to you in my letter of the 5th July 2013, which I note I am yet to receive a response too. Within this I outlined the reason was simply that payments where not received from all of your guests for the rooms which you booked at the hotel. This situation arose after guests at your wedding transferred a booking between themselves to void payment of cancellation fees but failed to pay the hotel for that room. I am of course happy to discuss this issue further with you should you still require further clarification as to why these monies were outstanding and hope that this response has put into context for readers the comments made within your review.
Regards

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We attended a New Year’s Eve wedding day and bash on through the night seeing the New Year in. We stayed for three nights and enjoyed our stay we had to change rooms due to wedding bookings and I believe every room was booked up throughout the period with wedding's back to back and all we had to do was put our stuff on the bed and hey presto like magic all our clothes etc. appeared in the new room all nicely placed and all on hangers. The first room we stayed in had a newish bathroom so was nice I think it was Shelley in the annexe building a few seconds walk from the main building, we ended up in the main house in the Byron room nice size all what you need but the bathroom was looking a bit tired however all working fine.

The wedding itself was wonderful with a winter wonderland theme and was handled by the registrar, staff, and everyone concerned really well and the photographer was both professional and handled a very stressful photo shoot with great aplomb I can’t wait to see the pictures. Now the food was very nice at the reception except the soup starter was a bit thin for my liking all food was piping hot and the crumble desert was gorgeous. Breakfast was good and tasty with lots of choice and local produce on offer and all very tasty and I’d recommend the eggs benedict.
Overall the venue is wonderful and just ideal I would love to stay again and have stayed at a couple of other handpicked hotels in the past.
To sum up friendly warm staff helpful and engaging which and a good time had by all, oh and the manager was great to nothing too much trouble and as the saying goes preparation preparation and it all went off swimmingly.
PS- Internet access wasn’t great to be honest and if this could be extended into the rooms it would make life easier.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the main house if you can, only because you have to go outside to get to the annexe a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyBadBoy

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations and your stay with us. It was great to the read that the team played such an important part in insuring that your stay was an enjoyable experience.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
#8 of 17 in Maidstone
The Black Horse Inn
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!