“Look beyond your first impressions”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Sandgate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

When you first arrive at the Famous Ship Inn, it is a very old pub with extremely friendly staff and you may wonder what sort of room you are going to get. The rooms are out the back and next door. Our room had recently been refurbished as had the one above (we met the couple at breakfast), and they were both sea views. We were the ground floor so got to use the terrace outside our room for our own use. It was a beautiful weekend, but we were visiting friends so didn't use it, but it's a nice little addition to the room. As I said, the room had been refurbished and the decor and linen was white and grey. There were nice little touches, 2x shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, good fluffy white towels. Mineral water and 2x the drink J2O, which I'm not sure whether there were complimentary or not as there was no signage. The breakfast was also very nice, they bring you orange juice to pour yourself in a jug, choice of tea or coffee. 3 types of cereal, toast and nearly a full English (grilled vine tomatoes, baked beans, 2 eggs, 3 chipolatas, 2 thick rashers of bacon and fresh mushrooms, 2 rounds of toast each, selection of jams.

The only negative and I did mention it to the management was that we were on the ground floor and had a terrace and a road outside our French door, which did not have a net curtain. Therefore every time I changed I had to draw the curtains. Plus the bathroom door faces the outside so one had to close the curtains if using the shower.

Would I go back? Yes I would, it was a good choice.

Room Tip: I was told the room above had been refurbished and was a lot bigger than the ground floor, so if you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JenJ54

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We visited in late April for a dinner after a long day at work. My boyfriend had the pigs cheeks which were superb, I had the duck which was terrible, it was tough and the dish with which it was served (beans?) didn't go at all and was bland. Other than that the service was pleasant and so was the atmosphere.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Things have changed since we last stayed at the Ship. Still a great pub with really good beer and now an excellent restaurant with a good selection of tasty treats on the menu. Thoughtfully well appointed room, comfortable bed, terrace, sea view. Wendy, Stewart and all the staff do a great job. Thank you for another great stay.

Room Tip: Rooms are very well appointed. If you are disabled you will need ground floor so perhaps ring in adv...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Wonderful, old World Inn. Great staff, wonderful food. Fantastic beer. Comfortable and large room, comfy bed and large bathroom. Great breakfast and the night-time saw me enjoying a rare American band. Was handy for Lydd Airport and the attractions of Capel-le Ferne Battle of Britain Memorial, The Kent Battle of Britain Museum, Fly with a Spitfire experience with Action Stations, Hawkinge and the old Battle of Britain airfields of Biggin Hill, Cliffs of Dover and Romney. The Inn was also where a famous author wrote a story of a scarecrow that became a Disney classic film. Try it and be impressed. Paul Davies FRTCA, CIM, BoBHSc

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Hats off to Wendy and Stewart we had booked for the weekend and was given a sew view room just can't believe what I saw when I walked in the room beautiful room with an excellent view I was so happy we was welcomed by Wendy who took us to our room what a lovely couple and the staff to who was happy to help what can I say about the linen and the bed me and my husband was knocked out as soon as we touched the pillows iv never experienced anything like that we travel a lot and experienced a lot of things but the ship in was perfect I would recommend it to every one who wishes to experience it them self keep it up Wendy and the crew.

Room Tip: The sea view if you can
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I would like to reiterate what other reviewers have already said we had the sea view room it had the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in any hotel so far , the pub would benefit from some comfortable seating , the restaurant was very nice and the food was good,we had the fillet steak which was cooked perfectly,my husband hates getting up for breakfast so a breakfast tray was delivered to our room which was quite adequate cereal, rolls orange juice and fruit.

Room Tip: sea view suite
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

A big thank you to Wendy & Stewart at the Ship Inn. We had a lovely room at the top with our own sitting room, bedroom and en suite shower. Everything spotlessly clean and everything you could possibly need was catered for. Great nights sleep and a very good freshly cooked breakfast the following morning. For people that like local ales, Stewart has a great selection to offer, and I might add a shelf full of malt whiskies. We would certainly stay here again and would recommend this pub and accommodation highly.

Sue & Sid (Penge, London)

Room Tip: People with walking difficulties shouldnt ask for the top room, even though the views and the room i...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
View Hotel Folkestone
#6 of 10 in Folkestone
The Royal Norfolk Hotel
The Royal Norfolk Hotel
#1 of 3 in Sandgate

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!