“(In)hospitality”

Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“(In)hospitality”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have visited the Ship mamy times and had the fortune to be greeted by many lovely locals and bar staff. I hadn't had the (mis)pleasure to meet the licensee until Friday evening. I spent £50 on one round, with a group of professional friends (mainly primary school teachers [as I am] and staff). When I went to order a second round I was met by a hostile expression by a gentleman that later announced himself as the licensee. I ordered three drinks, asked the rest of the group what they would like and my drinks were begrudgingly placed in front of me. I was then told "It's a good job I'm not busy" (without a hint of humour). I smiled and said "It's a good job I'm a paying customer" at which point he told me that I was not and was made to leave. The onlooking locals were shocked at his hostile attitude towards me and many tried to reason with him. He looked at me with disdain and told me "I have the right to refuse anyone on any grounds I feel". Myself, my friends, customers (whom I do not know) and bar staff all openly expressed their disgust and apologies. I can only surmise that he didn't like the look of me as my actions were as amiable as they ever are. Being the only person of colour in the place, I can only further surmise that this may have been the basis of the proprietors instant prejudice towards me. What a shame, I like the venue and had heard good things about their menu. I will not spend another of my hard earned pounds there and suggest anybody who believes in 21st Century equality to do the same. in any event an individual with such an inhospitable temperament should not be in the hospitality industry

9 Thank tizzle22

California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good pub, good location”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stopped in here for a drink while walking on theme front in Sandgate. Nice pub with good service. In the summer you can sit outside also. For this visit it was blowing a howling gale outside, and was lovely and warm in there bar!

riberac
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Classic British Pub - cherish it”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

An unspoilt pub serving traditional ales and up to the minute lagers. Small, friendly and very cosy. There is an excellent resaurant at the rear with sweeping sea views. Pubs like The Ship are increasingly hard to find. Patronise it if you're lucky enough to find yourself in Sandgate village.

london
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Poor service in bar”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Used to love this pub when it was a traditional pub with good homemade food. Since the restaurant was added, the service in the bar has declined. Location great so will always attract custom, but a shame that the welcoming atmosphere has disappeared.

Last time we visited the young barman talked continually to his friend who was sitting at the bar, whilst he was serving us drinks for our (middle-aged) group. He paused a few times to emphasize some point in his conversation, whilst we fumed. Perhaps we should have said something, but we are unlikely to return.

1 Thank crystalcatLondon
Bromley, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Decent Pint”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not a bad little pub by the harbour, kept a decent pint, bar seats to sit outside when the weather is nice and a friendly efficient barman. Cash machine (fee to withdraw), pool table and a small smoking area to the rear.

Would go back if backk in the area.