“Lovely Hotel 5 ★★★★★ stars from us :D”
Review of Sandgate Hotel

Sandgate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandgate
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Sandgate Hotel is a lovely hotel. The Staff are friendly and helpful. The room which I stayed in was decorated with a modern chic feel. In fact, the whole feel of the hotel was stylish and funky. The food was extremely delicious. I would strongly recommend the fish menu. The Swordfish salad was fantastic…. I am looking to book in again at the end of this month, for a couple of nights with my family. Can’t wait!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2012

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN, what a dirty, filthy hotel!!!! We chose this hotel as we where attending a wedding nearby (which was fantastic by the way!!). On arrival the reception area was quite nice and welcoming as was the receptionist, she even gave us an upgrade to a balcony room, yippee!! Once we entered the inner door to head towards our room we started to became very doubtful about the cleanliness of the hotel, tell tale signs like dirty carpets!!! Our doubts were well founded, what a disappointment the room was (heaven knows what our original room was like). The carpet was so dirty we wouldn't walk on it without our shoes on. There was a very grubby velvet chair with a grubby looking velour throw thrown on it. No curtains only a roller blind which was very cracked and torn in places. To boil the kettle we had to put it on the floor as that was the only plug, even the tray which held the teacups etc and was rusty!!! The bed was like sleeping on concrete and only 1 wafer thin pillow. But hey the towels were clean!!!The bedroom furniture was bulky and black and was chipped and cracked in places.
Now for the bathroom, the toilet seat was loose and the flush wouldn't work, there were wall tiles missing, the floor tiles were cracked, the shower head had to be held to have a shower as it kept falling out of holder. Don't forget this was an upgrade!!!!
Breakfast was very greasy, the bacon was mostly fatty rind and to top it all off the milk jug was dirty inside with stale crusty milk lodged around the handle, it made me feel quite sick. Thankfully we were only there for 1 night and we paid the sum of £90 for the pleasure of staying in this awful, neglected hotel. I could go on and on with complaint after complaint, but I think you will have an idea about our stay. We are not the type of people to complain but this stay was not pleasant, trust me this is a true refelection of this hotel in our opinion, so you have been warned!!!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cortek
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stay for 2 nights and enjoy the stay.
Had a lovely room and balcony with a Sea View
The only downside was the wait for are meal,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here as we were invited to a friends wedding nearby. The reception /bar was clean, crisp and relaxed. The check-in and check-out were quick and easy. Our room was clean, modern, comfortable and the sea view was a bonus! The staff were friendly, polite and helpful. There was a variety of options for breakfast to choose from, I had the cooked breakfast which was good. Parking on the esplanade was free and easy to get parked (although I imagine this would be different if the weather was better!). Overall we found it value for money and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrmowgli
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I recently stayed here with my family, booking a family room which cost £120. The Room really needed some updating and cleaning. The carpet was very stained, the furniture old and burnt and the shower was taped up around the hose to stop it leaking!! Not what you would expect for £120! The house keeper clearly only dusts to eye level, anything above that, forget it!

However on the plus side, my family were made to feel very welcome. the food was excellent and great value. The views from the Hotel are beautiful, and the surrounding area we just love!

If they done something with the rooms, ( make them actually look like they do on their website!!) I would return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Hotel website certainly makes this hotel appear slightly nicer than it really is.

Well placed 30 minute walk from the centre of Folkestone.

Lovely welcome by reception staff. Room on first appearences is nice and modern but broken bathroom floor, broken taps in the sink and shower, broken bathroom light, no socket close to the bed, aged furnishings, unclean carpet and a window that would not close all spoiled the initial impressions. The outside of the hotel also needs to be smartened up.

Service in the bar/restaurant/breakfast was generally slow with them forgetting orders on several occasions. Some food was undercooked for breakfast and no offer of toast or coffee refills etc.

Fortunately, a good time with friends and family helped me overlook the inadequacies at the time but on reflection, it is not somewhere I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view worth it
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is a tacky hotel trying desperately to be a 'boutique style' hotel but without the style. The decor and furnishings in my room and in the restaurant are poor quality and the only consolation for me was the sea view. The quality of the bathroom was poor and the bed was uncomfortable. Breakfast on the second morning was a farce. The teapots deposited the tea everywhere apart from in the cup, the milk was off and the fresh fruit was anything but fresh. The kitchen had even run out of white bread and marmalade. The manager was apologetic but ineffective. I would not have written this review if the room rate had been 50% less. I could have laughed it off and put it down to experience but at £120.00 per night, payable in advance, it was a bad experience and certainly not worth the money. I will never return and certainly will not recommend the Sandgate.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brian G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel
Best Western Clifton Hotel
Best Western Clifton Hotel
#6 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Sandgate Hotel? Share your experiences!