“Excellent friendly staff, good basic comfort”
Review of Sandgate Hotel

Sandgate Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandgate
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Wonderful position overlooking the sea. There was a mistake with online booking - no sea-view room was available but this was speedily remedied with a generous discount for a smaller back room. Bed very comfortable, breakfast generous and well cooked. The friendly, attractive and helpful staff more than made up for the shortcomings of the somewhat worn furnishings and carpets.

Room Tip: Best to phone hotel direct to ensure a sea view room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sandgate Hotel

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We were travelling to France via shuttle and wanted somewhere nearby to stay overnight. Booked 1 night stay via Booking.com at £50 for B&B. Had read some of the reviews on here, so expectations were not the highest - fancied a change from Folkestone.
Pleasant surprise on reaching the hotel, lovely sea front location, parking was outside the hotel on the road, and was plentiful. The frontage of the hotel, is quite attractive, with seats/tables outside etc.
Check in was easy, there was a girl at the bar who gave us our keys, informed us of wi fi codes, info etc. Initially given room 17, 3rd floor rear room, reached by a small lift. This room was okay, but the TV cable did not work, nor did the phone when we tried to call reception. I went down to reception to tell them, and she just gave us another room, upgraded to a sea view, room 4, without any problem.
Room 4 is okay, sea view is great, and there is a balcony with table and chairs, and an ashtray, which is a no no for me, who abhors smoking. TV okay and bed was a little soft for me.
Biggest problem in this room is the shower and bathroom. The screen does not fit correctly and therefore water spills onto the floor.
Breakfast was good produce, but was not served hot, which spoiled it.
Did not eat here but chose to eat at the local Thai takeaway which was very good.
+ points:
Friendly staff, good location, comfortable, good VFM, quality breakfast produce, quiet and nice toiletries (recently stayed at a 2 star michelin establishment which used the same toiletries!)
Would return and would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I held an event at The Sandgate Hotel and I have to say, we all had a fabulous time! Before I start the review, it would be wrong of me not to say that the hotel is in dire need of some tlc - and soon. The rooms are tired and the further away from the bar/restaurant you go, the more investment is needed. That said, I had a fabulous experience and I fully uphold the 5 star rating I give.

We ended up commandeering the restaurant for our meeting which was absolutely great. The manageress Lily kindly closed the hotel for us which was fantastic. The buffet menu at £7 per head was DELICIOUS. It was simple, uncomplicated and wonderful. In fact, I think we polished everything off!!! Teas and coffees were provided throughout the day and Lily and her staff were on hand as and when we needed them. In the evening, we had booked a table for 25 in the restaurant and I have to say, the food was incredible. I usually run meetings in central London at five star hotels in Park Lane and Mayfair. I wanted to do something completely different and on a much smaller budget - hence choosing The Sandgate. However, I can honestly say that the food at the Sandgate was better than at most - if not all - of the host I other hotels I have booked in a long long time. I didn't have a single complaint from any of my guests and my personal meal was phenomenal. For starter I had the tomato and beetroot soup which was amazing. Vibrant in colour and deep in flavour. I want the recipe!!!! I then had the belly of pork with a layer of wonderfully crisp crackling, delightful bubble and squeak and a sumptuous jus. However, the crowning dish has got to be the most delicious cheesecake I have ever tasted. Whilst I argued it was the best dessert ever, my colleagues with the chocolate bread and butter pudding and the lemon tart disagreed as they believed their desserts were the best in the world too!!
Considering all 25 of us were served at the same time, all dishes were delicious, served piping hot or perfectly chilled and cooked to perfection.
As well as exemplary cuisine, the service was also first class. Lily and her team were absolutely wonderful and I can't thank them enough.

If the current owners invest in the upkeep of this hotel, keep Lily and her team and never let any of the chefs leave, this would be an amazing boutique hotel. Please spend some money on it!!! I would never hold a meeting anywhere else again if you did!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank SShieldsi
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Really good value for money, just stayed the one night but would have stayed two if I could have. Nice room, clean with a comfy bed. Shower was a bit noisy and old fashioned but wasn't a major issue. good location right by the sea - made for an excellent view was eating my breakfast in the morning. Had a dinner in the evening which was excellent too. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We arrived for 2 nights on Sunday in the dark when the gales were starting to hit the south-east and I thought OMG, it's Bates Motel. Just proves you should never judge a book by it's cover. Parking is on the road outside as there are only 2 spaces at the back. Our room was on the 3rd floor at the back, there is a lift. The room was clean and warm, tea and coffee making facilities, tv, phone (didn't work), shampoo and shower gel in the bathroom. Bed was comfy. The bathroom was a bit dated, wc had a pull-chain cistern (luckily we're old enough to remember them) but there was loads of hot water for the shower. The tv pixelated quite a bit and the wifi went off but we put that down to the gales. The next evening the tv was worse, the kettle decided it would only work while you held the lid, the wifi was non-existent and on ringing reception I found the phone didn't work. I went down to reception but there was only one girl on to do the bar and the restaurant and anything else. She came up and took a tv and kettle from an empty room. I think the tv problem was because the connection was just the wire, it didn't have the male 'prong' to push in. Wifi is bad in Sandgate generally apparently and the hotel is at the bottom of a hilly area altho it was fine in the bar so perhaps routers on each floor would help. The breakfast was great, help yourself to cereals and juices and there's a good choice if you don't want the full english. We had the 'full' especially as it included black pudding! We didn't use the restaurant as we were visiting family who fed us but it was set up very nicely and the menu looked very good. Overall, I wouldn't necessarily want to stay there for long but it's ideal for one or 2 nights and at £45prpn for b&b through booking.com it was a bargain.

Room Tip: Perhaps a lower floor if you need wifi. Rooms at the back would be a bit quieter but the road at th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked direct and received an upgrade so I paid £45 for a sea view room. Location was poor, advertised as Folkestone it was 3 miles away. We were refused our gourmet card for a dinner table even though they had only had a table of four sat on their own. Told to book in advance even though we asked at 2pm. Found a better indian down the road. If i had paid £75 for the room as advertised I would of refused to stay. Our window was broken so it was propped open by a wooden wedge. Walls dirty, spillage stains by the bin. General cleanliness was poor, obvious stains missed eg cleaning down behind radiator feet in toilet instead of mopping round. Carpet was old and tired. Everywhere needed a good polish and my right hand set of draws was falling apart. Room was noisy, needed window open as it was warm. Hair dryer left alot to be desired. Was not asked if everything was ok with our stay. On the plus side breakfast good, freshly cooked and good choice. We stayed room 9 .

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Sad to say our third stay with continuous issues and although I will say the manager and her staff do there best to put things right when they go wrong three times three complaints leaves you with sad taste
first visit issues with food in restaurant especially anything fried the chips etc.
second time spring sticking out bed again same issues with food
third visit lack of towels when more delivered they were wet again rooms looking very tired this time we had guets to join us for dinner two meals where returned they couldn't be eaten
sent several emails to try to resolve rang but the owner takes no interest when there are problems we spent over £200.00 for one night and a meal hardly cheap and didn't even do us the courtesy of a reply when you can stay in a premier hotel for not much more sadly this is now no more than a middle of the road hotel and the owner needs to pull his finger out to provide a quality service for the public
we have given them on three separate occasions the chance for the owner to speak to us once again. There are no issues with the staff in fact they are lucky to have got such a good manager but owner's are gutless this leaves us no other option but to leave a bad review> Avoid do homework first

Room Tip: ask for upgrade rooms are tired have lunch food good but not evening meal to rushed poor quality wit...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
Burlington Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel
Hythe Imperial
Hythe Imperial
#1 of 3 in Hythe

Been to Sandgate Hotel? Share your experiences!