“What a wonderful place!”

The Royal Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Sandgate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have just had the distinct privilege of staying at The Royal Norfolk Hotel for the first time. The staff were very friendly, engaging and helpful. Our room was a delight (with views over the castle and beach) and the food exceptional. Overall, we could not have wished for a more relaxing family stay by the sea!

Room Tip: Recommend room 42.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank radq

Reviewed 24 September 2013

AVOID !!!!! We stayed in this hotel for two nights. We arrived at 10PM so we had to check in through the pub downstairs. The music was louder than in a night club the walls were actually shaking. We had to elbow our way through a very drunk english croud to see a bar tender who did not know what to do. After waiting over 10 minutes a young woman arrived to help us. She was cold and rude. Because we arrived at 10 pm she had already given our rooms away so she charged us 60 pounds more for a larger room. The rooms where very shabby and simple you can here your neighbours talk. tha bathroom is stripped to the bare miminum. Also we paid on the website with an american express and when we arrived she told us she could not take our amex because it would be more expensive for her. We were exhausted so we gave our visa and ended paying 45 pound of commission for international use.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sally K
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thanks so much to Sandra & Georgia for a wonderful stay. My wife and I had a fantastic break at the Royal Norfolk to celebrate our anniversary. Then hotel is spotlessly clean and the service can not be faulted - the staff attitude is fantastic - they are so helpful. First class all round!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

MY self and my wife stayed at the The Royal Norfolk Hotel in Sandgate, Folkestone
for our 1st anniversary the hotel was very clean modern and had a huge comfortable bed we stayed in the superior room. All staff were very frendly and helpfull and
went out of there way to make our stay a good one' we had a very nice home cooked style
sunday dinner and enjoyed the pub in the evening the locals in the pub down stairs were very frendly' We stayed on a sunday night and although we were above a pub we had a very quiet nights sleep could not hear a thing. Would def go back.
The area Folkestone
was very nice ideal for a day or two to relax good clean
looking pebble beach town has all main shops and little boutique shops and pubs.

Room Tip: superior room room 25 i think.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in a superior double (41) recently. Having read reviews here, I knew to ask at the bar, otherwise I agree checking in might have been confusing!

The room was large and simply/ elegantly styled with a good bathroom, shower and toiletries. Bed linen and towels of good quality, hairdryer and some toiletries provided, standard hospitality tray which would be improved by a couple of biscuits and some bottled water. Comfy bed.

The street outside can get noisy (after the pub has closed, which is potentially noisy for these rooms) so earplugs advised.

I didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.

All in all, a decent place to stay in Sandgate, and only 30 mins walk down the seafront from Folkestone harbour.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

When I arrived by taxi from Folkestown Central Train Station I was impressed by the buiding itself. But hey when I looked for Reception there was none. I rang a door bell entrance. Inside there was a bar a barman and a big dog sitting on the floor. I went in thinking that I may get help but the dog barked so I left. The Barman followed me outside and said that the bar was the the entrance into the Hotel. I got my key to my room up 2 flights of stairs but he di help with my bags, The room was nice but I didn't get the sea view I asked for. Instead I got the main road and a bus stop. Ok the room itself was adaquate. It was ensuite and warm. My three days and nights were ok but nothing special there. There was little hospitality. You had to hang out at the bar to get that as it was run by one of the bar attendants. Nothing really friendly there either, Just on my last day I had a brief chat to a lady who worked there about my stay but that was the sum of it and a little late in the day. I had previously asked for a chicken salad sandwich, She couldnt do this she said but suggested a toasted chicken sandwich instead but when I got my sandwich the she had forgotten my simple request and gave me the salad on th eside of the plate, They only did ham or chicken sandwiches and that was that. Very disappointing, Its in a good location alright. This is a quiet little town with a lot of character with a beautiful stoney beach. I rented out a bike and cycled along the coastal path to Hyth. That was great. In all this hotel lacked any sort of personality or friendliness, It was a room in a hotel with a bar and restaurant downstairs. Thats it, Maybe it might suit some people but I would not stay there again. Its a pity because if they made use of the small reception that was there with some hospitality it would have made a very good first and last impression. The rooms were perhaps overpriced for early May I thought. Sorry giving this one a miss. Maybe this hotel is for the businessman but certainly not for a weekend visit on a Bank Holiday. No ghosts in sight. They didnt feel welcome.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the back.....There are no good views at the front of the hotel unless you like...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank McKensie7
Reviewed 8 May 2013

An excellent find for a short stay if wanting to explore local sights, shopping etc.
Accommodation was clean, very well presented with more than generous proportioned rooms. bathroom very modern and clean. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Ammerican diner attached seemed popular but not experienced on this trip.
Would certainly use hotel again

Room Tip: Room 43 is the best room, although at top of hotel with many stairs to climb, but it offers sea view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Humph3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandgate
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandgate
Grand Burstin Hotel
Grand Burstin Hotel
#9 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to The Royal Norfolk Hotel? Share your experiences!