“Wonderful Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bushypark
Limerick, Ireland
“Wonderful Weekend”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had a wonderful weekend stay at the Glenlo Abbey. The rooms were well appointed and the beds very comfortable.We ate dinner in the bar on the Friday night simple but tasty fare. We then went upstairs to the ffrench room to listen to Morris the local pianist. On the Saturday we were advised on what sites to see by the pleasant and informative receptionist Anna. After a lovely day spinning around Connemara we dined at the restaurant a fabulous meal served to us by very friendly staff, in particular Arno. On return to our room we were pleasantly surprised at our room turndown nice touch with the home made petit fours. For breakfast the eggs benedict is a must. We had a lovely weekend retreat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here on our 3rd castle of The Castle tour of Ireland. Honestly it was my least favorite of all.... Our room was large and clean but kind of dingy.... Needs some updating . The key/locks took awhile to figure out. The view was the parking lot in back. The best part of our experience at GlenLo was our waiter Luke.... The very first night he made sure to accommodate our request to eat off of the bar menu in the dining room... He was soooo helpful during our whole stay. The food was excellent and the waitstaff even surprised our daughter with a birthday dessert after dinner. The breakfasts were amazing and Luke's suggestions to do the Connemara loop drive was perfect! The only big complaint I had was that the fireplace in the dining room we ate in was soooo smokey...we had to pack our clothes in plastic bags in our suitcase the next day because of the strong smoke odor. I would go back to Glen Lo because of the staff but not expect too much of the rooms.

Room Tip: Our room was 211
Birr, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I find some five star hotels can be a bit pretentious and a little overdone but the atmosphere in the Glenlo Abbey was just perfect. I have just returned from a most relaxing two night break and am already checking my calendar to see when we might be able to go back. From the moment we arrived we felt relaxed and at home. Other guests were all very friendly and we had lots of chats around the beautiful open fires. Our rooms were very spacious, modern TVs and the beds were heaven! Lovely quality linen and feather pillows, pillowtop mattresses for the utmost comfort. Bathrooms are quite dated but functional. Breakfast is to order which saves a lot of running around. We had bar food on the first evening, and the second night we dined in the dining room. Food was excellent all round, but dinner was super. Our waiter Bart was helpful, cheerful and very professional. I followed his recommendations of liver parfait to start, sirloin steak for main and creme brulee for dessert...just writing about them is making my mouth water! My steak was very tasty, cooked to perfection and the creme brulee was award winning. When I wondered whether to have the Merlot or Cabernet house wine he brought me both to taste. When I arrived at the Hotel I ordered a Latte in the lounge I asked for a little biscuit or something to go with it, I was given a homemade shortbread type biscuit...yummy. I recommend to the Hotel that they might serve one these delicious biscuits as standard with all their beverages, it would be lovely. As for everything else the Hotel managment are getting everything just right, congratulations! Including a welcome letter addressed to me and signed in handwriting by General Manager, James Howard, a nice personal touch which I appreciated.
There were four ladies in my group and we were treated like VIP's throughout our stay, James, Luke, Maura, and indeed all of the staff befriended us, each of them as helpful as the other and all of them made our stay a 6 star experience!
The location of the hotel is very scenic with lovely walks but a car is handy as it is a bit out of town. We found the bedrooms a bit warm on the first night but remembered to turn off our radiator on the second night.
I feel that this time of the year is perfect for a visit to this hotel as with the cold days and dark nights the open fires are great. Also as it is off peak the hotel offers some incredible deals so go on check it out, treat yourself, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Myself & my husband stayed here for just a night & we hopefully will return again. From check-in the service was excellent, with our bags being brought to our room, which had a beautiful view over the lake. We had dinner in The River Room Restaurant & both of us would say it was the nicest meal we have had in a very long time. Again service was excellent. We were in the oak cellar bar afterwards for a drink which was again great service , yet still relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was again faultless & then we played the golf course which was a lovely way to finish off a night away. We will happily recommend this hotel to family & friends.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank nordlaw06
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 February 2014

6 of us travelled to Glenlo on Saturday in the height of the bad stormy weather for a New Year get together and what a wonderful afternoon evening and morning we had. I called in advance and spoke to an extremely pleasant friendly lady Maura. She is a huge asset to the hotel in our opinion. Our rooms were not ready so we headed to the bar downstairs and started the party going. Well it was 4.30PM when we decided to go get our keys. Nothing was too much trouble with the staff from the time we arrived.

We ate in the hotel and the food was gorgeous. Presented very well and the dining room is very comfy and we had the added bonus of a round table.

I thought the music in the cellar bar was a little bit not suitable for our age group (50 - 65), although the girls were very talented.

The hotel was full on the night and again extremely busy at breakfast but the service was excellent. Well done to all of the staff. They made our stay very pleasant.

The rooms are a little dated if I was been honest but it did not effect our time there. The hotel itself had 3 log fires lighting which was very cosy.

Room Tip: I would imagine all of the rooms are equal.
1 Thank LizzyToner
Offaly Ireland
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed it very much. We found the hotel very relaxing with plenty of rooms to sit and read etc. Our meal on the Sunday night was excellent so we decided to eat there again on the Monday night. While it too was good it was not quite up to the standard of the 1st meal. It took three attempts for me to get the dessert I ordered. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms well serviced and comfortable. We wood query the rating of 5 star however.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarjoOffalyIreland
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff especially Enrico, & Maura. Beautiful setting relaxing & peaceful.Bedroom very dated, Food is ok. We would probably have enjoyed it more but our expectations were 5 star as per the hotel rating, it's not a five star.....

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Caolfhionn1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushypark
The Twelve Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Glenlo Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!