“A Galway gem...”
Review of Glenlo Abbey Hotel

Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bushypark
Reviewed 30 June 2014

having brought my father home to Sligo my partner decided that a treat was in store for me as well. He could not have picked a lovelier spot... stayed 2 nights with breakfast and a meal on the Orient Express train in front of the hotel. The reception staff all such lovely ladies and not forgetting Dan who give you all the information and help you could possibly need. We had a fabulous room with a view of the golf course and lake beyond .. yes there is no air con so opened up the windows which I found was adequate and am sure if you asked for a fan one would be available they give the guests what you want if you ask. Breakfast is more than adequate hot or cold and there is something to suit all tastes. The meal on board the train is divine. The chef needs to be commended, and also excellent service and very attentive without being a nuisance. We had the four poster bed room which has recently been refurbished by the looks of things and absolutely lovely. You get what you pay for and if things are a little overpriced for some then don't stay is my advice - if you want a 5 star break then this is the place and everyone deserves a treat from time to time and at some stage in your life then Glenlo is the place to be. I think the new owners have done a good job so far and my partner and I will be back. My partner does play golf and thought the course was adequate for a 9 hole course. Taxi fare into the City centre is around 10 euros - don't walk though - we did one day and needed a stiff drink on our return, its further than it looks. Thank you to all of the staff for making a break something to remember. Lynn and Robert Wroe.

Room Tip: rooms on the right side of the building have a good lake view along with the golf course.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank robert w
There are newer reviews for Glenlo Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is an expensive hotel. It's a new facility built onto the old abbey. When I booked I asked for a queen or king sized bed - we were given a room with 2 very small singles (we only stayed one night so I didn't ask why). The room was large enough, well decorated. The bathroom was nice, however, the door was on a swing close lever as a fire door. I've never heard of a bathroom door being a fire door. We had to find a way to prop it open due to steamy shower. The shower / towels were good. Separate cold/hot water faucet in the sink were the same everywhere we traveled in Ireland. They do have turn down service. Breakfast was served in a nice room and was average. DO NOT PLAY golf here - it's a 9 hole course which I'm OK with, however, esssentially there are no greens. They tell you the greens are a bit rough AFTER you pay. The fairways are in better shape than the greens...the greens are essentially non existent. If it was free or 10 euro to play fine, but it's not!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelfun001
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The staff here are wonderful, and the grounds and rooms are beautiful. Breakfast was delicious. I had to give it three stars though because not only was there no air conditioning, there is no ventilation whatsoever except for the windows, not even a fan in the bathroom. If you're staying in a room where you cannot benefit from the breeze, you are in for a restless night. The price they charge does not match the experience, and if you want to eat in the Pullman Restaurant, expect to pay 50 euro for a 2 course meal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Johanna M
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed in a king garden room, which was roomy and the bathroom was enormous! Check in was ok, but there was only 1 porter working so there was a wait to go up to my room.

The bedroom was big but standard in other aspects. There were enough hangers and an ironing board, iron and hair dryer were available in the amoire. The bathroom was large and the amenities are soap, body lotion, body wash, conditioner, shampoo, coffee and tea service, and make up mirror (which wasn't lighted and was practically unusable because of its location). There is not a shelf in the shower, but the water pressure and size were both good. The faucets in the sick are separate (hot on the left and cold on the right), so it is tricky to get warm water. The tub is fantastic because of its size!

There is no AC, and on the night when I stayed here it was warm. When I called to ask about AC, the porter/do-everything guy told me that on warm days it is very hard to cool the rooms down because they are made to retain heat. However, the windows opened and I was brought a fan, which worked well. There are virtually no usable outlets in the room. The tea pot cord wouldn't even reach the outlet, so I was brought a power strip that could be stretched out to meet the plug from the teapot. While there was internet, it was terrible and I ended up just shutting my computer down rather than wait forever for anything to load. The bed had a saggy side, so I slept in the middle. The bedding and pillows were all to my liking (medium feather with a duvet). The room décor was typical of a large country manor house, with the only real flaw being clear and multiple pen markings/writing on the bed bench pad. My room (318) overlooks a small courtyard and garden and the dining area in the chapel. It was lovely.

The service in this hotel is really good. All my requests were met with a smile. I ordered room service and both the service and the food were good. Breakfast was delicious with a hot meal ordered from the menu as well as a pretty good buffet. The service was a little slow however.

The location of this hotel is fine if you are a golfer and have no one coming from Galway to meet you, because the traffic and travel time from Galway to the hotel can be excessive. It is far from the city center.

Overall, this is a place I would stay again because it is charming, it has all the amenities I needed and the food and service were all good. It is not a luxury hotel, but it has real country charm.

Room Tip: Get a golf course view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Christmas2010
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at this fantastic hotel. We were treated like part of the family and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel has gone through some refurbishments and it shows. We stayed in a suite and it was absolutly top class. The four poster bed, whirlpool bath, 50 inch tvs in both bedroom and living area, the carpets, the furniture were all in my opinion 5 star. We ate in the bar and again it was top notch. Attentive service with a smile and fabulous juicy burgers. Had a look at the train as well but did not eat there, from the outside it looks elegant and a real dining experience. The golf course is great as well and seems to be in very good condition, considering the climate in Galway, that is an achievment in itself! The restaurant for breakfast was 5 star, the menu on offer, the view of the golf course and the service was second to none. Check out was quick and easy. Thank you to Sandra along with Sammy the chef and Kieran the bar tender who really did go out of their way to ensure we had a fantastic time. Also we noticed in the reception area that there is an open fire smell it gives you an instant flashback to the Ireland of yester-year and a place that most people would be reminded of home. This is a venue thats doing everything right and is a must visit if you feel like treating yourself or your significant other while in Galway.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 22 June 2014

First, be aware that this is NOT a 5-star hotel. Not by any standard. There is no gym, no spa, no fitness center, no swimming pool, no ATM, no gift shop, NO air conditioning. The wifi is so unreliable that it's essentially useless most of the time. Both the shower and the iron in the hotel room leaked water everywhere. The fact that Glenlo Abbey advertises itself as a 5-star hotel suggests how little regulation there is in Ireland of these things.

That being said, the building itself is beautiful, oozing with charm. And the food in the Oak Cellar Bar and the River Restaurant was GREAT. The best food we had while we were in Ireland. Essentially, if you approach this hotel as a B&B, you will be very pleased; just don't expect the amenities and standards of a true 5-star hotel (or 4-star hotel, for that matter).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cavalier9915
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I spent 10 days in Ireland and this location was the finest. The entrance, gardens, the entire setting was just beautiful!! The front desk was polite, organized and helpful. The room was the most comfortable room so far on our trip. A large bed, soft covers, bathroom remarkable and the view of the river and golf course are just stunning! We enjoyed drinks and dinner in bar which was tasty and the bartender did a great job keeping up with customers eating and tending bar (he deserves some help or a raise). Thank you for an incredible lasting memory of Ireland!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushypark
The Twelve Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Glenlo Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!