Having done our homework on the location of this property, it did not let us down on being the perfect place from which to explore the beautiful West coast of Ireland.
This lovely old cottage is in a very peaceful setting, but not remote. It provided us with everything we needed and we had a wonderful week. The spacious master bedroom has tasteful period furniture and a comfortable bed. It has a lovely light bathroom with a large bath perfect for long holiday soaks. The dining room is spacious and charming; the cosy lounge has a log burner.
I would recommend this cottage to friends and family and would definitely stay there again.
We enjoyed a very relaxing holiday of ten days in July 2017 in the Poet’s House. Due to some antique furniture it looked and felt really picturesque and cosy. The warmth of the house was added by the permanently available heating and Janet’s kitchen gave us the feeling of being among good acquaintances. The house and location are correctly described on the internet as the photos represent exactly what you find, too. We recommend the house to people who love a tranquil destination with a typical Irish atmosphere.
My two children and I stayed for a week at The Poet's Cottage. It was a great base for excursions to Galway City, Bay and the Wild Atlantic Way. We went to Connemara for a day too and to Dartfield Equestrian centre looking for ponies.
The cottage was clean if a bit old-fashioned and very comfortable. The washing machine worked the one time I used it and I will be booking again, perhaps with a friend this summer
Booked a 2week stay at the Poet’s House in Craughwell, Co. Galway via "Shamrock Cottages" and was sorely disappointed for our troubles. A summary of this dissatisfaction is as follows;
- House was extremely musty upon arrival - required a day of airing to try and start to remove the smell; my wife is asthmatic and found it hard to enter the house on the first day without having to use her inhaler. We were also unable to use the wardrobes for clothes (they were the old wooden <1950’s style with wall paper on the inside old wooden and very musty),
- The house pictures from the website must be quite old as neither the house nor front garden are in the state shown in the pictures, i.e. the pictures imply an open front grassed garden which is now a fenced, over grown field - disappointing as we had hoped to be able to play football and the like with our son in this area,
- The washing machine is faulty; every cycle that we initiated would never complete and we had to manually switch it to a rinse/spin cycle,
- The tv channels don't work due to an inability to receive a reception. The tree growth surrounding the house is excessive and the tv reception is unreliable and intermittent (the only channels we could receive were the Irish ones and the the reception kept dropping meaning that programs were constantly experiencing a ‘frozen’ screen). Not an ideal situation with kids (or even as adults wanting to relax at the end of the day). The reception in the area is so bad that I had to stand at the house driveway entrance to receive a phone signal due to the excessive tree growth surrounding the house.
- Bed linen consisted of winter duvets as opposed to supplying a lighter summer version. Flexibility would be appreciated
- Tiny kitchen (only one person could realistically enter at a given time) was full of old utensils and cheap pans/saucepans. Less items of better quality for cooking would be preferred
- The property directions are completely inaccurate, i.e. there is no water pump as referenced for the turn and the turn is 1.5km off of the main road, not 1.5miles as stated in the directions provided – this is a significant difference when trying to find a remote property. This directions complaint is also repeated multiple times in the visitor book
- A huge grievance is the complete lack of shower in a rental property. Upon reflection, the website does indeed not state a shower is on the property but this is like having to check if there is an indoor toilet, i.e. a shower is a basic amenity these days. Considering the cost of rental, this is totally unacceptable. There is a visitors book on the site and upon review of it, many guests have written a similar complaint over the last +8years and seems to have fallen on deaf ears. This property commands a significant costing/week and is based in a remote location (>25min drive to Galway city centre). It is totally unacceptable to expect people to have to crouch in a bath (i.e. the bath is under a sloping dormer roof) to try and wash (one past guest expressed this challenge as an arthritic pensioner!)
We vacated the house a week early as we ended up being totally miserable and stayed at a hotel (at additional unplanned costings) just to try and make a holiday of the situation. We are totally frustrated and disappointed in the wasting of our money and time with the sham that this property was advertised under. A point to note is that it is now 4 weeks since we lodged out complaint with the booking company who forwarded our grievance onto the owner and we have yet to receive any form of reply – we didn’t expect one considering how they’ve ignored the comments/requests in the house’s visitor’s book for the last ~8 years