“Recommended” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Furbo
Perth, Australia
“Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Connemara Coast Hotel with a friend for one night in mid May. The reception staff greeted us with a smile, were helpful and had our luggage brought to our room without even asking for such.
We were given a room with a sea view. Fixtures and fittings of good standard, décor neutral with a clean, well maintained bathroom. Whilst we only had bar snacks in the evening, again the staff were most obliging and the snacks sufficient. We met a delightful group of older women who were attending a conference and did they know how to enjoy themselves!!. Our stay at Connemara Coast Hotel was a great introduction to our two week jaunt around Ireland.
I absentmindedly left an item of clothing behind and on returning to Australia contacted the hotel who promptly posted it to me - a rarity these days.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Headford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Me, my partner, our 2 year old daughter and my parents called in for food on our way back from the beach. Boy did it ruin our evening!

When we walked into the bar we mentioned wanting to eat outside. We were told we couldn't. Fine, that was no problem. We chose a table and sat down. Not once did any of the staff offer us a babychair. When we had gone through the menu we ordered our food and drinks. The waitress, polite but badly needs retraining, forgot one of our drinks and had to be asked again. Then our food came out pretty quickly. Now in all the time I've eaten out with young kids, be it my own or someone elses, the staff have always brought the baby dinner out first without having to ask. My daughter's didn't come out at all. The same waitress forgot it. We had to ask for it after all the adults' dinners had come out. The food was mediocre at best. My fish was wet, the batter was soggy and the chips were stale. My Dad's and partner's chicken breasst had a massive bone in it, the portion size of everything was pathetic. I had asked for spud, veg and gravy baby dinner for my daughter. We got a paultry scoop of spud swimming in gravy. Not a carrot in sight! My mother's seafood platter tasted good but the portion size was a absolute joke and again, she had to ask for the brown bread it mentions on the menu.

Now, the fact that all that cost €70 was bad enough but when we realised that we had been charged €3 for a jug of Mi Wadi (we asked for orange and were given blackcurrent) that threw me into a rage. Rip off Ireland alive and well! Please avoid this place to eat in at all costs unless you like not great food at horrendous prices. We didn't stay here so can't comment on any of that but if the service, food and prices are anything to go by I never will!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ncmono
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed in the Connemara Coast Hotel for 2 nights. It a lovely part of Ireland but my stay at hotel was dissapointing. The staff are nice, I'd say many are studying locally which reflects the level of service.This is a sea side hotel with 4 stars but I just can't see that rating. In my view it's a nice 3 star.

My main issue is the food, it was poor produce that was badly cooked. Also kitchen closes at 9 in restaurant and bar which is not ideal if arriving late like 9.30. Another example is the breakfast which was price included, you always no the cutting corners ( small drinks glasses and shallow bowls for cereal ) So not to eat and drink to much from the buffet.

My rooms where not cleaned on our 2nd day until 3.30pm ( not sure on 1st as we checked in late)
But they where clean. And the leisure centre closes at 7pm and the swimming pool was a good size. I don't like to give a bad review but I feel constructive reviews can benefit the owners in making changes.

Room Tip: Try get coast facing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Warren L
Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Hotel was nice. Breakfast was not bad, but, could have been better. Room was very disappointing, quite grubby, broken toilet seat, balcony had pipes with lagging falling off. In hindsight we should have asked to be changed, another member of our party had also a bad room and asked to be changed and was granted a better room immediately. Staff were very friendly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stated in this hotel during the week (Tuesday June 10th and Wednesday June 11) with my partner. The reason we booked the Connemara Coast Hotel is that we wanted to stay in a good location in Connemara, and it particular we were looking for a nice, affordable hotel, with a nice swimming pool, as although we had planned to be out and about for our two day visit, we also wanted to relax and unwind on our return. I have to say that I was certainly not disappointed and was thrilled with the facilities and the level of cleanliness of our room and the hotel in general. We felt that the hotel went of of their way to go above and beyond to ensure that we had a lovely stay.

First of all when booking we specified that we would like a sea view room. We knew that this may not be possible as we had booked a standard room, and felt that perhaps we were asking too much for the price we were paying, but to our lovely surprise, we were given a beautiful, clean sea-view room. The bed was comfortable, and we were blessed with a great shower as well.

When getting ready for our night out however, I was initially disappointed with the fact that the hair dryer was in the bathroom and one of those awkward appliances that need to be used standing up and in a steamy bathroom! However, when I requested a stand alone hair dryer along with an ice bucket for the wine we had brought with us, both were promptly dropped up to us.

As we were late arriving on our first night, we decided to go down to the bar, as we were told at check in, that there was music there that night. We had a lovely time, but were surprised that my partner and I (both in our 30's) appeared to be the youngest staying in the hotel by about 30 years, as the hotel does a special offer for over 55's. However, although this may have dampen the atmosphere for other younger people, we both felt like it added to the charm of the hotel, and in fact we ended up dancing in the bar with the other guests, who ended up out lasting us on the dance floor and staying up later than us!!

As I mentioned earlier the facilities were fantastic, but it was a shame that the receptionist on check in seemed to be in a bit of a rush (I can't think why as there was no one else checking in at the time) and never told us about the facilities, which was a shame as we nearly missed the games room, which had a pool table, soccer table and video games. There was free wi-fi also throughout the hotel. For outdoors activities there is also a playground for children, and a tennis court, free of charge and you can also walk directly down to the beach through a lovely pathway. The swimming pool, steam room, sauna, and Jacuzzi were simply bliss and stayed open until 9.45pm. The outdoor tub however, was definitely the highlight of our stay as it gave us breath taking views, of Connemara, on the very few sunny days we have in Ireland!

After enjoying ourselves in the outdoor tub, we got a lovely surprise to find that our bed was turned down and a chocolate was left on each of our pillows and a newsletter with the following days weather on it and poetry quotes. I felt this was a lovely touch and not what I would have expected in a 4 star hotel. It may us feel like we were really being treated! On arrival at the hotel we were also given an option to have a newspaper delivered for us for the following morning.

The food for dinner was good. However my chicken and black pudding salad for starters, was a bit disappointing. The rest of the meal made up for it though, and the waiting staff were friendly, attentive and professional.

The hotel itself is not a typical generic 4 star hotel, it is stylish, quirky and relaxed. My only real disappointment about my stay, would be the fact that we were unable to stay an extra night! I do plan to be back and I have already told my friends and family that they would be silly not to book in next week!!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a sea-view room. Although we had a lovely room, rooms on the downstai...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Siobhán O
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

There for one night when visiting for Irish college met by very friendly and helpful reception staff.
Had been upgraded to lovely room with views of stunning coastline. Ate in bar that evening & had excellent breakfast next morning. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hugh2055
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Connemara Coast Hotel is truly charming! The setting near the water is lovely although the property is a bit out of town. The hotel is tastefully decorated and it has a very welcoming feel. Our room was very spacious and nicely appointed. Our one complaint about the room was that the in-room safe was not secured to the closet shelf. The hotel has a very nice pub on-site with excellent food. The breakfast buffet was limited (hot items were ordered from the menu). Overall, the service was first class.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AvidTravellerCalgary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furbo
The Twelve Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,254 reviews
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#10 of 46 in Galway

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!