“Very good pub experience”

Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartpury
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

This review is based on two visits to the pub for food/drinks. We did not stay overnight.
One meal was Sunday lunch which was superb value; the pub was busy so it is obviously a place known to locals. The food was great with friendly service. Restaurant area was a bit cold.

The second meal was lunch yesterday which based on two starters of prawns and garlic mushrooms followed by massive burgers and mussels was excellent! Huge portions and friendly service again, sitting by a roaring log burner drinking great beer (Doombar) and white wine spritzers made this an experience we would want to repeat. We were the only three people in there, though. Would definitely eat here again.

Can't comment on the room reviews except to say we saw bathroom furniture being delivered so perhaps they're upgrading!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Have just returned from spending the night here. Unfortunately there was evidence of a flood in progress when we arrived - they were "pumping out" . However we were greeted by friendly staff and a roaring log fire. We were shown to our room which was clean and warm and pleasantly decorated. As we had a busy day we went back to the bar and ordered dinner. the food was homecooked and tasty. The portions were too large for me - but my daughter ate all of hers. We retired to bed and slept well considering the storm outside. As it was dark when we checked in we did not realise the extent of the water till the morning. The resturant was flooded. The owners had been pumping out till 5 in the morning had assisted the house over the road who were flooded out. The owners were so good, we could see they were struggling and offered to get breakfast else where, but they made us tea and toast, which along with cereal and orange juice provided a more than adequate breakfast although it was obvious the owners wanted to provide their usual breakfast. We would definitely stay here again. The welcome and room were warm and inviting. The food was good. Hopefully next time we will have a full breakfast with less water! Thank you for being so hospitable in very difficult circumstances.

Room Tip: Upstairs. Perhaps furthest away (so no one walks past your door)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Please note, I did not stay in the hotel. This review is based only on my experience from the pub/restaurant.

After a busy day in an unfamiliar place, my family and I decided to stop off for a pub lunch at Watersmeet.

When our meal arrived we were fairly disappointed by the less than average food. However, we are not a family that like to complain so we began to eat.

I had chips with my meal, to which I added some vinegar. When pouring the vinegar I noticed some bits fall out of the bottle, but assumed it was just a different type of vinegar.

After eating some of the chips and thinking that they didn't taste 100%, I decided to look more closely at what had fallen out of the vinegar bottle. Much to my horror, the black bits were bugs. Feeling physically sick, I made my family look inside the bottle, only to find a haven of bugs and flies.

We informed the barman of what had happened, he apologised and gave us £3 compensation.

I would strongly advise that anybody thinking of paying this place a visit, doesn't.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Against our better judgement we booked for a 4 night stay as it was convenient to a wedding we were attending. After a very bad experience on the third night we booked out and found alternative accommodation. My wife will doubtless detail the problem in a separate review..

I can only agree with a lot of the other reviews on here. The room was cold. The radiators didn't work so a very small, inadequate portable radiator had been put in.
The room was poorly furnished, in desperate need of a re-furbish and a thorough cleaning.

A thoroughly unpleasant experience and one we will not be repeating.
Don't waste your money. It truly is an awful awful place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Okay, it's not the Ritz, but it's not a complete dump. I went this weekend with my husband and to be honest wasn't looking forward to it after reading the reviews. But saying that the room, which was one of the ones that had been refurbished, wasn't that bad, it was okay, it had an oil heater, which I suppose isn't good in today's standards, but it was warm. The bed was okay and the shower worked to an extent. But the owners are trying. The annex rooms, I believe weren't great, so probably shouldn't be rented out. But let's remember what this place is... it's for fishermen, who don't really care where they are as long as they have somewhere to sleep and fish all day. The food on the evening was okay, the breakfasts were amazing and huge - so no complaint there. I believe the fishing was okay to. Go again? Me probably not, my husband probably yes.

Room Tip: Don't have an annex room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have recently returned from a 3 day fishing stay with 2 pals, and I really cannot understand why all the negative reviews ? We were really pleased with the vast majority of things - the food was great and the portion sizes were enormous, the fishing was very good - my pal had a PB carp of 14lb 5 mins after casting out and the other two of us were bagging up on bream, and the staff were friendly and could not do enough to help us, Ok, the chalet rooms were a bit tatty and dated - however, they were more than adequate (we stayed in our bivvies anyway). Also, the water pressure was a bit "iffy" but we got by fine. The rooms on the other block were of a much higher standard with no problem at all - and they're only £4 per night more ! To sum it up, this is very good value for money place to stay for anglers, and I can only assume the negative reviews were left by people who expect Ritz-style accomodation for budget prices - I WOULD DEFINITIELY COME HERE AGAIN - NO QUESTION ABOUT IT !!

Room Tip: The newer accomodation if more comfortable with better quality ammenities, for only £4 a night more
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carl V
Reviewed 18 June 2012

reviews on here of this place cannot describe how awful this place is. i was booked for a 3 night fishing break and only stayed one night and didnt mind losing the £150
room shocking, dirty and very poor but hey if the fishing was good it may be bearable ? NO NO NO lakes were poorly landscaped and 3 dead Carp floating around covered in maggots and flies.
I asked the owner if it was fishing well and he didnt even look me in the eye with a response of "Im not too sure too busy to walk round lakes or should that be stagnant ponds devoid of decent fish,
AVOID AT ALL COSTS - SLEEPING IN THE CAR IS BEETER BET

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank adelong124
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartpury
7 mi away
The New Inn-Relaxinnz
The New Inn-Relaxinnz
#13 of 21 in Gloucester
10 mi away
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
The Little Thatch  Hotel Gloucester
The Station Hotel
The Station Hotel
#18 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre? Share your experiences!