“Nice people but service needs sorting”

and 1 more site!
Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartpury
Aberystwyth
“Nice people but service needs sorting”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Welcome was warm and friendly and bar meal ok, First pint of real ale from new barrel not right. Spacious bedroom needed to have several cobwebs removed. Breakfast offered for 7.30, but no sign of anyone to open up by 7.40 when I left. Unlikely to return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Euryn J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We visited the Watersmeet On a whim after a day touring the Forest of Dean . Although the bar is well lit two of our party tripped up the steps on the way to the toilets,( before we'd had a drink) because they are in a dimly lit area and no hazard tape denotes the edges .
All that aside I was extremely impressed with our meal . Really tasty mussels as a starter and plenty of them ,followed by haddock florentine, excellent , we were totally stuffed when we had finished . All the food was delicious and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Complaints ?? None really. I wish that they had offered a cheeseboard ,but it was probably for the best, I doubt that my trousers could have stretched that far. Thanks Watersmeet .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Worcestershire
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'm afraid I agree with other reviews that this hotel needs some attention to detail. Whilst the food is good the staff polite and helpful the place itself is tired and needs some TLC. It has so much potential which just tidying of the grounds, ensuring that tables and rooms are spotless and that everything works. ie. no shaving point, a television with only one channel. Tables at breakfast which were still sticky from the night before. All little details which could make a real difference.
Would I stay again....... I would think twice!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We visited Watersmeet after a couple of recommendations from people saying ignore the 'spit and sawdust' exterior / bar area but that the food is good! We decided to brave the restaurant and to be honest really wish we hadn't bothered (with so many other far better restaurants in the area).
Service was seriously poor, after waiting a long time with our menus we had to ask if we could place an order (this seemed to be a common occurrence amongst other diners around us)..the waitress didn't look too impressed that we actually wanted to eat in the restaurant!
When we finally did get chance to order our sunday lunch we were told that "sorry we've run out of yorkshire puddings!" despite being on the main menu as 'home made yorkie puds'...I then asked the simple question of "can't you make some more?!!" and was told no...."I asked if they would replace it with anything else as that was obviously what we were paying for...was then told you can have some more potatoes or more meat, we all opted for more meat. When the food arrived each person had 2 small pieces of meat so I'm not quite sure where the 'more meat' was!

The food was ok but certainly not the best sunday lunch (as they advertise) I've ever eaten, there are far better restaurants within a couple of miles so I definitely won't bother going back here again.

Less than average experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carly H

Travellers are raving about these Hartpury hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We recently stayed at Watersmeet and have mixed feelings abou our stay there. The fishing is good with a good head of carp in double figures however, there was the problem of having a limited choice of swims on the main lake because 5 pegs were constantly filled with anglers rods etc 24 hours a day throughout our stay, which I felt was unfair because these pegs were not fished throughout earley evening and throughout the night. Sureley, it is only fair to pack away your equipment once you have finished fishing to give others a chance. I also observed that a peg was being fished for a day by an angler who mentioned to me that he was not a guest staying at the hotel, again, very unfair for the guests who have paid for their stay expecting fair and equitable access with other guests. It was dissapointing that the fishery doesnt seem to be managed in terms of making the swims fully accessible for casting. All that is required is for some overhead branches on pegs to be cut back. Because there are no rules, which is great for sensible anglers, I saw one float rod left unatended to the peril of the owner because a carp ran with the rod and no doubt may have caused damage to the carp. I also saw atleast two anglers landing double figure carp with wholey inadequate sized landing nets and laying them on the bank without a mat, one of these anglers was using what I and many others would describe as a death rig, which he changed after I diplomaticaly pointed it out. Along with an unatended rod all this highlighted to me that fish care and management is not a priority at Watersmeet. I was greatful that there were dustbins along the bank however, dissapointed that they did not get emptied and this atracted the plague of wasps, that were present in the hotel grounds and local area, to swims and being a constant nuisance and distraction. Again, poor fishery management adversly impacting on anglers.

Watersmeet is listed as a hotel however, I would not define it as a hotel in the traditional sense. There are no rooms in the main building, which is a pub and restaraunt. The rooms are outside and can be definded as cabin like or chalets. I personaly was happy with the room as it was more than adequate for the fishing and reasonably comfortable. I was dissapointed that there was no where to keep my fishing kit, I had to leave it in the car. We could have taken it to the room, but her in doors said it would stink after a days fishing. Surely there should be some provision to securely keep kit and baits outside your cabin, even at an extra cost.

The breakfast and dinner meals were very good value for money and the restaraunt service was also of a good standard with helpful and friendly staff serving you. I would definitly reccomend the Sunday dinner, which was massive and extreamly filling, you have been warned!! Its also worth mentioning that the other guests were very friendly and that a lot of them were happy to help you on the bank giving advice. Needless to say, a lot of them had been coming to Watersmeet for years and no doubt will continue to do so. I was told by regular anglers that Watersmeet has improved greatly over the years and was good value for money.

In conclusion, I am convinced that Watersmeet would be prominent on the anglers map if fishery managent and fish care could be taken a lot more seriously. Stopping the hogging of swims by anglers who are not night fishing leaving their equipment set up on pegs, established sensible fishery rules and making all swims free of overhead snags for casting would most certainly entice me back to Watersmeet. It would also be nice to establish pegs on the deepest lake to the rear of the accommodation as there are non or they are overgrown. Granted, in these lean times it all has to be paid for and would have an impact on scarce funding. However, I personaly would not object to paying for a fishing permit for the duration of my stay and surely investment now would pay dividends in the long term.

Room Tip: Take a fly swat to keep the wasps at bay
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre last month. We decided on the venue as we had friends living locally and had had Sunday lunch in the restaurant the year before but not stayed the night. The Sunday lunch was excellent with large portions and very acceptable service.

As we had been there and had a great lunch AND friends knew the place well. I didn't read a single review before booking our stay. I will never make that mistake again.

So why the bed score I hear you say?!?!

Because of our previous experience and that when I booked the hotel nobody I spoke to had actually stayed there, we thought it would be the obvious place for us to spend the night. If the food was that good then the accommodation should be of a similar standard. Wrong very wrong! When you sit down for lunch you see the waitress some food maybe the bar and probably the toilets. When you stay the night however you see the workings of the whole operation.

We arrived early afternoon in a light drizzle, not a problem until we wondered about for ten minutes looking for someone to check us in. The reception sign was covered by overhanging plants and after standing around for a little longer we found out, from another party that had just arrived, that that they had removed the reception to cut costs so we had to check in at the bar.
Minor but annoying, we are understanding people so we shrugged this off.

After being shown to our room we had a quick look around dropped our bags off, at a glance the room looked tired, decorated in the late 80's but good enough for the night.

We returned later that night and went straight to bed.

The next morning the horror started!! The first thing I did was go to the loo, before I used it I had to flush it and CLEAN up the marks left either by the previous user or the half hearted attempt by the CLEANER. Looking down at me whilst I was grumbling to myself doing this was one of many long legged spiders on webs that clearly took some time to weave. I then got in the shower, after a very short time it was apparent that to let the water out I was going to have to pick out the hairs and grot from the pug hole. I finished my shower in my flip flops.

Looking round the room before we left it was obviuos no one had CLEANED it properly for a long, long time, I don't mean vacuum CLEANING I mean dusting, mopping and scrubbing. A room is not CLEAN until this is done. It is also possible to remove the bed skirt and put it in the washing machine, the CLEANER should have been informed of this. We also found dust under and behind every piece of furniture and fitting in the room.

Breakfast was amazing, huge portions well cooked and fresh, good quality ingredients. Too big in fact, way more than most average people could eat and I imagine the amount of food wasted is significant. This is however only an issue for the overheads of the hotel/restaurant. I neglected to tell my wife that at one point during breakfast I walked past the open kitchen door and the floor was filthy, bits of food, old dirty pots and general dirt everywhere!

For the first time ever whilst paying the bill I complained about the CLEANLINESS of the room, my comment was met with a smile and 'Oh the cleaner is usually wonderful, I don't know what could have happened' a bare faced lie in my view, the room had not been properly CLEANED in a very, very long time.

Our friends went there the next day for Sunday lunch. We got in the car and found somewhere for lunch on the way home.

My advice would be take a tent and sleep with the fisherman, they all seem to rave about the place.

Families beware !!

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BiggerBen10
Middlesborough
Reviewed 27 July 2013

just got back from a 5 day fishing break..we've been going for the last 13 years and every year is a good 5 days fishing.We stay in the basic old wooden cabins which we like..breakfast is as good as ever.:-)..Peaceful quiet no one bothers you and never a problem from any of the other anglers..
Tom & Gail are very helpful..as when we got there on Saturday our room was not available..But Gail went out of her way to sort it out for us..Thanks:-)
Will be back again next year ..
Cheers Gary..:-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank yarm_uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartpury
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#6 of 21 in Gloucester
The Royal Oak Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#4 of 4 in Ledbury

Been to Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre? Share your experiences!