“Good Restaurant Meal”

Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartpury
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have visited the venue a number of times. It is certainly a 'no frills' place, but we have only eaten there, and not stayed and we found the meals very good. They are plentiful, colourful and taste great. The staff are friendly and meals are served promptly. The restaurant is certainly not pretentious, but it is comfortable and meals look attractive. Outside, it is fairly basic, but if you like fishing, it is very pleasant. There are certainly no luxurious settings here, but I'm sure the prices they charge reflect this, but not having stayed here I am unable to comment. The surrounding area is rural, and in very attractive Gloucestershire countryside.

Room Tip: It is a pub and worth a visit , as they serve a good meal. I have never stayed here, but it is not...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We arranged to stay here and despite ringing to confirm and giving our payment details, when we actually arrived the look of horror on their faces made it clear they had forgotten about us.
When you arrive the car park resembles a scrapyard, with abandoned cars and numerous fridges in various states of decay. The place looks like a dump, lakes is a bit strong they are large ponds!
We entered the bar in an attempt to try and check-in and the bar man who initially looked go smacked at our attempts to stay there, then disappeared to try and find someone to help us. He then returned after about 5 minutes and said we didn't know you were coming...
He then disappeared again and eventually returned and said they only had two rooms available. We were shown to a tiny twin room and a double room. We had booked for two double rooms.
The rooms were filthy, cobwebs, dust adorned all corners and surfaces. The bathroom was rank, when I peeled back the anti-slip mat, the bath was caked in grit and grime and I cleaned it myself before getting in. The towels were stained and damp. The toilet plumbing made a horrific noise every time it was flushed.
Worse was to come when we tried to get into bed, the sheets revealed ominous stains, an a single Lon thick dark black hair decorated my pillow... I am blonde and my husband has short hair so definitely NOT one of ours!
The rest of the bed contained a mixture of hairs and grit, this led us to believe the rooms had been previously used and not cleaned/changed etc.
I ended up sleeping clothed and wrapping one of my clean shirts around the pillow before trying to get to sleep.
I'd rather drive the four hours home rathe than stay there ever again, in fact I still shudder when I think about that night...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or in your car
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Emma B
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Came here for a fishing wkend with my husband to catch carp but neither of us or the other visitors caught any. Expected the lakes to be much bigger also. The site as you pull in seems like a rubbish/dumping ground. The rooms are very dusty with lots of cobwebs, and in the shower there were lots of skinny daddy long legs. Bed was comfy, room was warm with the portable heater no heating in bathroom so very cold. TV had only 4 channels. No internet and no signal. Food was nice and very big portions but don't bother with the mussels very over cooked. Staff were ok.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 new building
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wifey777
Reviewed 5 March 2014

me and 20 odd other fishermen go here every june and it is an amazing stay for a fisherman!! the owners and staff are super friendly and super helpful and manage to some how keep us all happy!! the lakes on site are good with some nice carp and there are 4-5 other fisheries within 5 miles that are truly something else!! the food is brill and very reasonable and the breakfast keeps us all full until evening! the rooms arnt for posh spice but are somewhere to put your head after a heavy days fishing and a few bevys! if u want to do your make up fake tan and straighten your hair find a travel lodge and leave watersmeet available for the fisherman who will be over the moon with the place!!

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank greggs23
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Welcome was warm and friendly and bar meal ok, First pint of real ale from new barrel not right. Spacious bedroom needed to have several cobwebs removed. Breakfast offered for 7.30, but no sign of anyone to open up by 7.40 when I left. Unlikely to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Euryn J
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We visited the Watersmeet On a whim after a day touring the Forest of Dean . Although the bar is well lit two of our party tripped up the steps on the way to the toilets,( before we'd had a drink) because they are in a dimly lit area and no hazard tape denotes the edges .
All that aside I was extremely impressed with our meal . Really tasty mussels as a starter and plenty of them ,followed by haddock florentine, excellent , we were totally stuffed when we had finished . All the food was delicious and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Complaints ?? None really. I wish that they had offered a cheeseboard ,but it was probably for the best, I doubt that my trousers could have stretched that far. Thanks Watersmeet .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'm afraid I agree with other reviews that this hotel needs some attention to detail. Whilst the food is good the staff polite and helpful the place itself is tired and needs some TLC. It has so much potential which just tidying of the grounds, ensuring that tables and rooms are spotless and that everything works. ie. no shaving point, a television with only one channel. Tables at breakfast which were still sticky from the night before. All little details which could make a real difference.
Would I stay again....... I would think twice!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartpury
The New County Hotel
#18 of 21 in Gloucester
Travelodge Gloucester
Travelodge Gloucester
#8 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre? Share your experiences!