“Brrilliant !!”

Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hartpury
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Brilliant 2 days or day and a half..25 Yes 25 carp in 36 hrs , great breakfast , for the guys .Crazy how some give a bad review ,Does as you say .does as it says on the tin nice to know your dog , never ate our bait this time lolcost of two , ducks fed left most of the bait alone Top time been before caught 2 carp but friendly owners

Room Tip: Who needs great rooms when your fishing they d what it says on the tin
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ron T

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having visited Watersmeet with friends for previous fishing breaks, I have always previously found it fantastic. It had everything we anglers could want and more - however, this is all about to change as Watersmeet have decided to allow access to non-residents ie day ticket anglers !!

Now, for those of you that know the place, it's difficult to get a peg at the best of times - especially when you have anglers leaving their tackle on their peg 24/7 - whether they fish it or not. That leaves you very little choice other than to do the same ! Additionally, with the far bank on the main pool getting increasingly overgrown and inaccessible (and with management unwilling to do anything about it) you essentially only have 3 sides access - take away the small, short piece of bank in the beer garden and you only have 2 sides to fish !!

Therefore, with the expected influx of day ticket anglers, things are going to get increasingly worse ! If I had paid my money for B&B and angling, and I couldn't get a peg where I had paid to fish, I would be EXTREMELY hacked off !! On that basis, I think it's time to look for alternative venues, especially when the management seem to have so little consideration for the fishing and the increasingly downward trends in standards (when did they last check the stock - cough, cough - the water quality, anglers with no unhooking mats etc...)

Don't say you haven't been warned !!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Carl V
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Two adults and one child looking for a tasty Sunday roast after a busy day on the river. We arrived around 7.40pm and were the only people eating at that time. We ordered 3 roast dinners, roast pork for adults and beef for our son. I wish I had taken a photo when they arrived. The Yorkshire puds were black. Not slightly over cooked brown, but cremated black. I asked if they could change them but was told that was all that was left. My son ate some veg then popped some roast beef in his mouth - the face he pulled said it all (yuk). I tried some and it tasted the same as gone off meat smells. I called the bar man over to complain about the beef and again about the Yorkshires. There was no apology, he simply said he was eating the same in the kitchen and it was fine. The landlord was equally unapologetic. I wonder what the Labrador that was wandering in and out of the kitchen thought of the food? I complained for good reason and would have expected an apology, not a public dispute in front of the locals. They did credit the small meal but the damage was done !!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned from a great break at watersmeet after a five day fishing holiday with a friend. On arrival were greeted by friendly helpfully staff who soon had us checked in. Room was adequate but not luxurious, but all you could expect for the price. Very comfy clean bed, bathroom small but again fully functioning. True to say room could benefit from a little tlc and a slightly deeper clean but hey we're not paying for the Ritz! Gear unloaded and stashed back to the bar for lunch. Bar prices very reasonable and a sandwich to die for. The evening meals are out of this world,all freshly prepared from local ingredients where possible and huge potions too. Breakfast has to be seen to be believed, nicely cooked and the full English absolutely enormous. Nothing too much trouble if you wish to vary the menu. again nothing but praise for helpfully courteous staff. The fishing again was very good with the lakes containing a large head of carp and bream to specimen size with large bags to be had on most methods. The ponds are very mature tree lined and natural unlike the majority of sterile barren looking commercial fisheries these days and are only a very short step from the accommodation. All in all a very enjoyable stay at a pleasantly laid back venue. Would I come again? Definitely!!! Most of the other guests spoke with have been coming back for years. If you expect silver service a sauna and room service go elsewhere and pay for it- but if you want value for money and a friendly relaxing holiday with some good fishing thrown in then go to watersmeet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lewis H
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have visited the venue a number of times. It is certainly a 'no frills' place, but we have only eaten there, and not stayed and we found the meals very good. They are plentiful, colourful and taste great. The staff are friendly and meals are served promptly. The restaurant is certainly not pretentious, but it is comfortable and meals look attractive. Outside, it is fairly basic, but if you like fishing, it is very pleasant. There are certainly no luxurious settings here, but I'm sure the prices they charge reflect this, but not having stayed here I am unable to comment. The surrounding area is rural, and in very attractive Gloucestershire countryside.

Room Tip: It is a pub and worth a visit , as they serve a good meal. I have never stayed here, but it is not...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We arranged to stay here and despite ringing to confirm and giving our payment details, when we actually arrived the look of horror on their faces made it clear they had forgotten about us.
When you arrive the car park resembles a scrapyard, with abandoned cars and numerous fridges in various states of decay. The place looks like a dump, lakes is a bit strong they are large ponds!
We entered the bar in an attempt to try and check-in and the bar man who initially looked go smacked at our attempts to stay there, then disappeared to try and find someone to help us. He then returned after about 5 minutes and said we didn't know you were coming...
He then disappeared again and eventually returned and said they only had two rooms available. We were shown to a tiny twin room and a double room. We had booked for two double rooms.
The rooms were filthy, cobwebs, dust adorned all corners and surfaces. The bathroom was rank, when I peeled back the anti-slip mat, the bath was caked in grit and grime and I cleaned it myself before getting in. The towels were stained and damp. The toilet plumbing made a horrific noise every time it was flushed.
Worse was to come when we tried to get into bed, the sheets revealed ominous stains, an a single Lon thick dark black hair decorated my pillow... I am blonde and my husband has short hair so definitely NOT one of ours!
The rest of the bed contained a mixture of hairs and grit, this led us to believe the rooms had been previously used and not cleaned/changed etc.
I ended up sleeping clothed and wrapping one of my clean shirts around the pillow before trying to get to sleep.
I'd rather drive the four hours home rathe than stay there ever again, in fact I still shudder when I think about that night...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or in your car
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Emma B
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Came here for a fishing wkend with my husband to catch carp but neither of us or the other visitors caught any. Expected the lakes to be much bigger also. The site as you pull in seems like a rubbish/dumping ground. The rooms are very dusty with lots of cobwebs, and in the shower there were lots of skinny daddy long legs. Bed was comfy, room was warm with the portable heater no heating in bathroom so very cold. TV had only 4 channels. No internet and no signal. Food was nice and very big portions but don't bother with the mussels very over cooked. Staff were ok.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 new building
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wifey777
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartpury
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#9 of 21 in Gloucester
The New Inn-Relaxinnz
The New Inn-Relaxinnz
#13 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Watersmeet Hotel & Angling Centre? Share your experiences!