“The staff make it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charlton Kings
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The staff make it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for a 2 night break with my husband last weekend and we were so relaxed after our stay! The hotel looks horrendous from the outside (very tired and ugly building!) but inside is lovely much to our relief! The hotel is well located from the main roads so easy access. The rooms are lovely and the food in the restaurant was OK. The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough for you.... Arnaldo was the best I've met in a hotel. Attentive, welcoming, helpful, proactive; if I had a hotel I would snap him up. We did say it was the best customer service we have had in a long time, Another plus was a superb dinner and one of the best buffet breakfasts around.
We visit Cheltenham fairly regularly and this is our second stay here and probably not the last. We would strongly recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam W
Stephen C, General Manager at The Cheltenham Park Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Adam W
Thank you for this fantastic feedback and rating us 5 out of 5. It’s very encouraging to receive such positive review and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay. I have fed back your wonderful comments to Arnaldo and he is very appreciative. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Cheltenham Park Hotel soon.
Stephen Cotton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, for a quick weekend break.
Hotel is showing signs of tiredness, with furniture and carpets, in public rooms and bedrooms,showing their age.
We arrived at around 2pm and check in was very good, with the young girl on reception polite and efficient. Dropped the bags in the room, which although large, would have been very trendy in the 1970's.
The plastic glasses in the bathroom sum up nicely what you should expect!
The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean, with good pillows.
In the lower end price bracket of rooms do not expect a view. Ours was of a 10 foot wall less than 3 feet from the window. If you strained your head you could just see the sky.
Having checked the room out we then went to have a quick drink on the terrace. Bad move, the staff in the bar have not got a clue! Must have waited 10 minutes to get served,as two barmen tried to organise food that another table had ordered. Dying for a drink took on a whole new meaning. To be honest the service didn't really improve all afternoon, or when we got back from a meal in a superb restaurant in Cheltenham. Organised chaos probably sums it up.
On the plus side the hot buffet breakfast was very good, although we were lucky that we ate quite late and think we missed the early morning rush.
Would we stay again? Probably not,because there must be better value somewhere in Cheltenham.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 473Redhead
Dear 473Redhead
Thank you for sharing this review. I was very disappointed to learn of your experience and please accept my sincere apologies that we fell short of the normally excellent level of service we provide.
Bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is on the edge of Cheltenham set in beautiful grounds, I am sure ideal for a wedding. We just stayed the night, the room was bright and overlooked the garden, The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable enough.
The breakfast was a typical hotel buffet style breakfast. It is a pity the coffee was out of a machine, but again it was OK. So an unexceptional experience, in a perfectly adequate hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen C, General Manager at The Cheltenham Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear cowpersoak
Thank you for your feedback. The coffee machines you mention grind fresh beans and uses fresh milk to dispense, in our opinion, an excellent cup of coffee with a choice of espresso, latte, cappuccino and even hot chocolate. I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Cheltenham Park Hotel in the near future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was a deal from spa breaks for myself and daughter, mini break, was glad i hadn't paid full price as would have been disappointed. Room was adequate, large stain on carpet wasn't very nice, room a bit tired, but everything worked, decent shower, tea/coffee etc, Spa treatments were nice, staff friendly. We had dinner both night, the first night was lovely, food nice staff great, not so much the night after, staff sparse, alot of fed up guests.

Room Tip: if elderly, request easy access room as we had lots of stairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Donna P
Thank you for your feedback. I was delighted that you enjoyed your dinner on the first night, the spa treatments and thought the staff were friendly. I’m sorry that you weren’t happy with dinner on the second night and although there aren’t many details to go on can assure you that this isn’t the norm. I hope you will visit the hotel again soon
St Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in April using a Groupon voucher. The deal included dinner but having tried the restaurant on the first night we opted to go eat out on the second night. The room we had was very spacious and well appointed - the only downside was that is was a long, long walk to the reception area and restaurant. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel itself was lacking a comfortable lounge area where you could relax - the only option was in the bar area sitting at tables intended for drinking rather than relaxing.
The biggest failing was the food and the restaurant. The restaurant itself was too large and was without atmosphere or character and the waiting staff had no knowledge of the food or wines. The main courses on the Table d'hote menu were all dishes that could be pre-cooked and kept hot or re-heated. This was the first (and hopefully the only time) I had been served burnt broccoli! I sent my food back and went back to my room and ordered a sandwich from room service. To be fair to the hotel, when checking out I told them why I had ordered from room service and they deducted the charge from my bill.

Room Tip: When checking in ask how far the room is from reception.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor F
Dear Trevor F
Thank you for your feedback. I was delighted you thought the room was nice and the staff very pleasant and helpful. I have noted your comments regarding your meal and I’m sorry that it wasn’t to our usual high standards. These comments have been discussed with the team so that we can ensure that improvements are made for the future
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for a Spa Weekend to celebrate our Wedding anniversary.

The room itself was spacious and comfortable. The building itself, quite grand looking and of course with large public areas. This had the unfortunate effect of creating a rather 'soul-less' atmosphere in the bar. The highlight was the attempts of the staff to keep the TV on when the party next to us kept switching it off as it was annoying them. Rather amusing as no-one was watching the TV anyway!

The food was of good standard but we were disappointed not to be able to get a table at a decent time, despite trying to reserve a table at the time of booking. It appears there was a large coach party; to the hotel's credit, whilst there were tables available they did not want to risk a compromise on service - which was good.

For us, the highlight was the spa, the reason we had booked in the first place. We enjoyed the facilities and the fact we were able to have our treatments together.

The lowlight was the late night ice-cream in the bar. An extortionate price for something that tasted like it was a Tesco Value product.

Overall, nothing really disappointing, but not much to write home about either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Paul K
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I was pleased you enjoyed the spa and were able to have your treatments together. We have recently added a second couch to one of our treatment rooms for couples and this is proving very popular. I hope you will visit us again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were lucky enough to find an offer for a spa day at this hotel, which included use of the facilities and a variety of treatments. My friend purchased the voucher and rang almost immediately to book our day she spoke with a very nice man who booked our day along with our treatments, which we were able book so we were treated at the same time. The day before our trip I thought I'd check out Trip advisor and read a review about the spa that shocked me and immediately felt very apprehensive about the next day!
We arrived and parked and easily found the entrance to the health and leisure entrance and were welcomed by several friendly faces. We were booked in and given towels and asked if we wished to hire robes (we did and paid the £5) we were then shown the coffee machine and it was explained we could help ourselves as the refreshments were Free, we were guided to the gym and the changing rooms. We both thought the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were very good and had a relaxing time using them all. A couple of hours later we made our way back to the reception area to await our treatments. Two lovely young ladies took us to the treatment rooms and Jessica gave me a lovely manicure and pedicure. We then swapped over and Evie gave me a really excellent massage and facial. I like a strong pressure massage and Evie certainly achieved the type I like. As we had showered before our treatments we sat for a while to relaxing having another coffee and changed back into our clothes and made our way to the hotel terrace where we purchased some food and drink. We thoroughly enjoyed our day.
So as acomparison to the review that I read this is my view......
We found that there were plenty of signs indicating the directions to the various area, although I would say some of them may have been a little busy showing the name of the hotel etc.
Yes we paid £5 to hire robes but not a problem for us as the offer we had purchased was extremely good value.
Some parts of the leisure facilities did look a little tired, needing paintwork refreshing for example but the facilities were all clean.
The photograph for the pool did correctly show children's pool equipment but from the other angle you would have seen a lovely area with loungers, showers, jacuzzi etc. I think there is a need to remember this is not a dedicated Spa it is a health and leisure facility catering for the whole family.
Something to note: I would ensure that on my next visit I book during school term time and during the day so I could enjoy a leisurely swim as no doubt at other times the pool could be busy.
I found the staff friendly and inviting and I say it again the treatments completed by Evie and Jessica were extremely good.
As you would expect the food was at hotel prices but tasted lovely, was well presented and it was so relaxing to sit outside on the terrace it was a great way to finish a lovely day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jackie W
Dear Jackie W
Thank you for this great feedback. I was delighted you enjoyed your experience and in particular the treatments from Jessica and Evie. Both of whom join me in thanking you for your kind comments. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back some time soon
Kind Regards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,336 reviews
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Cheltenham Park Hotel? Share your experiences!