“Fabulous food”

Hilden Lodge
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife & I stayed here for a night on a special offer dinner, bed & breakfast rate. They don't particularly advertise their dinners here, but I'd highly recommend them - we were the only ones eating there, which seemed a shame, but we had wonderful service and great food at a bargain rate. The curry was a little hotter than I'd have liked (I asked for it to be 'medium'), so I'd recommend being on the cautious side when choosing how hot to have that.

The breakfast was equally great, and our room was clean, well-maintained and spacious. We've been merrily recommending Hilden Lodge to all our friends since, and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bernard W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Vancouver
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Decent sized room with good furnishings. The level of cleanliness was good. Despite the location on a busy road the room was quiet. The breakfast was good; nice variety of cooked and fresh fruit and cereals. The free wifi was very fast; it seemed like the fastest I have ever experienced while traveling. Staff are very pleasant and accommodating.

Room Tip: Upper floor and away from London Road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AlpinePro
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Guest,

All our rooms are now double glazed, so the traffic noise is near zero, we would like to thank you for your constructive comment that has helped us focus where to improve our rooms.

We always fill our upper floor first, as we try to keep the ground floor for anyone with any walking difficulties.

We hope to see you again, then you can see and hear the difference yourself.

Kind Regards

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with four other friends. We had a twin and family room. We got a really reasonable rate because we were taking part in a charity event. The rate included a delicious 3 course meal in lieu of breakfast as we had to be up early the next day. The family room had 3 single beds so we didn't have to share which is a bonus. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gemma R
London
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Friendly welcome, nice modern room with better than basic furniture all new and unmarked carpets. Bar is a nice touch for a B&B and evening food is offered, limited menu but it does include a veggie item and children's menu. Breakfast has good fresh fruit and cereal mix which is important for non cooked breakfast eaters amongst us although I would have been tempted with a hash brown ! The road is noisy and I woke up many times in the night as a result as I am used to silence so depends what you are used to. Plenty of free view channels on flatscreen tv mounted on wall. The housekeeping staff need to clean the plugs, behind the tv etc as it probably hasn't ever been cleaned given the depth of what seems like fur rather than just a little dust ! Nice and warm with the heating on. Wi fi. Near to Cheltenham. Price is on the edge, it feels ok but tipping into the pricey.

Room Tip: ask for one away from the road if they have any and you need peace and quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Thelostpearl
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again, then you can see and hear the difference yourself.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 September 2012

It's conveniently located to go to diffetent towns in cotswold and also go to charltenham town center for dinners. The owners are helpful. Breakfast is excellent! Room not so clean, hair on the mat on the toilet floor. dont think they clean the bathroom tiles regularly. Shower cubicle is blocked, apparently the owner was arranging someone to come and fix it, but bottom line is during our two night stay it remained blocked and we didnt get any money off or compensation. A bit disappointed

• Stayed July 2012
Wayne F, Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for the time taken to review our property, as your stay was in JULY the issues cleanliness are no longer an issue as I have written recently to another Guest who stayed, this also includes the cleaning of tiles.

With regards to the apparent blockage (slow draining water from the shower), as this was a weekend we could not get a plumber although one was called, this is a saniflo system that draws the water away and there was no blockage at all it was just slow draining water like we had discussed at the time and apologised for any inconvenience, with this only issue we did not feel a discount or refund was appropriate indeed nothing was asked for or discussed.

We again thank you for your comments and we are sorry you were disappointed during your stay back in JULY 2012 where any issues of cleanliness have been resolved fully.

Regards

Hilden Lodge
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I stayed at the Hilden Lodge last week for 6 nights whilst I was on a course in Cheltenham and have to say I feel throughly unhappy with my stay. My room was nicely decorated, but VERY small. I had to move the tea tray onto the chair just to have enough room to put my toiletries and belongings anyway other than on the floor! On my first night I was awoken at midnight by people coming in the front door (my room was a stone's throw away from the front door - 'Red Splash'). These guests seemed to have no concept of other guests being in the hotel and turned lights on and spoke in loud voices. The next evening when I got back from my course I was doing some work in my room and was constantly interrupted by the hotel 'phone ringing and having to listen to the conversations of the hotel staff (the office was next door to my room.) Having stayed for six nights, and had breakfast at approximately the same time each morning, I was horrified to discover on my last morning that I was unable to get breakfast as they didn't start serving it until 8.30am on a Saturday. Nobody had told me this and, whether or not it was written on the hotel literature, I was stunned and not at all happy to have to start work on my course on an empty stomach. To add insult to injury, my room was very unclean. On the first night I discovered what looked like a cigarette burn in my duvet cover. I left this face up in the hope that it would be changed, but it remained there the next day. The room itself was covered in dust (see photos attached.) I choose this hotel as an alternative to the student accommodation that was being offered on my course and clearly wasted my money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Katie-Jane20
Wayne F, Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear (Name withheld at guests request)

We thank you for your comments and we in turn have been very disappointed with the lack of cleanliness, we wish we could have caught it earlier, however since your stay we have been more committed to ensuring the standards are returned to a high level and our housekeeper is aware of our disappointment. We can only apologise.

With regards to your room in general, this is a larger room with a good bathroom size which we though would be better suited to a longer stay, if you would have stated you prefered a more quieter room we could have accommodated you.

We are however disappointed that you did not bring these matters to my attention during your stay as we could have done something about it for you to make the remainder of your stay a more enjoyable one.

As you can appreciate we can not police all our guests in terms of there conduct when coming back in the evening we have done what we can with notices, I know you spoke to our Duty Matthew unfortunately this could be an occurance in any hotel or guest house, we can only offer our apologises for those guests.

With regards to breakfast yes unfortunately our weekend breakfast times do start from 8:30am as many that stay with us do tend to come down past 9am, we have for some guests when requested given earlier breakfast. Our breakfast times are posted on the lounge door and in our room books, if known we would have been more than happy to accomodate you. Before you left you were offered to take away a packed lunch or something from the breakfast room which you refused.

In all our standards were poor at the time of your visit but assure your that they have been drastically improved now, to the point of our housekeeper being monitored more closely and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. We wish we could have resolved things at the time instead of having to read it on Trip Advisor, as we have had some great comments in the past .

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Nice little B&B and not too far to cheltenham town centre and surrounding areas ( if you enjoy a walk - which me and my husband do)
The overall B&B was good, nice food and presented well...also a good selection of cereal and fresh fruit.
The rooms were clean but on the small side, which put a little downer on our experience as we had booked the superior room as it was our wedding anniversary, but room was just standard sized bed and room, even at 5ft 2 and peitie, i struggle in the bed without falling out!!
We did speak to wayne the manager and was assured it was the correct room, just something to bear in mind when booking.
Wayne was overall very helpful with telling us where to visit and experience is a good one.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Charlton Kings
Charlton Kings Hotel
Charlton Kings Hotel
#2 of 6 in Charlton Kings

Been to Hilden Lodge? Share your experiences!