“Expectations not met”

Hilden Lodge
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Expectations not met”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Had stayed at this hotel before and had an okay time, so I was looking forward to a second visit and checking in, especially after a 4 hour drive in grim weather.

However, the front door was locked on arrival at 8pm and the bell didn't work because the batteries had been put in the wrong way round - when I did get let in I filled in the arrival document and immediately asked if I was going to be eating. Just tell me the restaurant is serving until 9:30 should I like to dine would be so much nicer. I did have dinner at the hotel, but I could tell I was an inconvenience, as the only one in the restaurant. It was horribly rushed and I felt guilty for keeping the chef working. Having the breakfast buffet set up and on show the previous evening is just weird.

The room was cramped and the bathroom tiny - I will give the hotel another go just to see if it gets better. The room rate at £50 is just about acceptable for this level of hotel

I do prefer to write positive reviews, so a real shame I can't do this for the Hilden Lodge

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay with us.

As you can appreciate things do go wrong and the problem with the bell has been fixed, however you were apologised to when you came in.

As you may recall from your previous stay our restaurant is open till 9pm and we apologise if you felt inconvenienced I have never rushed anyone, plus I always ask whether guest would like to dine, maybe I am being too efficient to clear your table so you can work, however whether 1 or many eat, all are welcome, that same evening we had a meal prepared for someone arriving at 10pm, so we do go out of our way at times.
With regards to your meal we did go out of our way which you did not mention as we served you a free desert as you did not realise our Ham served was Gammon.
Our breakfast buffet is always laid out this was the case in your last trip, our tables were set for evening service and then reset after 9pm for breakfast.

Our rooms come in all shapes and sizes and some are smaller or larger, in your last stay you had a standard double and on your recent stay a large king size, we will gladly choose a larger room (if available) for your next stay, should you wish to visit us again. Our prices are reflective of the time of year and a corporate rate was given to you as a regular stayer.

We do hope you stay with us again and appreciate having the opportunity to reply to your comments.

Regards

Wayne Fenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Durham, England
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I had to visit Cheltenham at short notice, and a quick look on the L***Rooms site showed Hilden Lodge as a pleasant looking hostelry,and with good reviews, so I made a last minute booking direct with Hilden Lodge.

On the ( slightly ) negative side... a couple of hiccups over my bill, which did get sorted by the time I was leaving, and unless you get here EARLY!!.. you could end up, as I did, having to walk 400 yards or so from the nearest parking, not fun in snowy, slushy conditions.

I had a double room for single occupancy at a very fair £50 including breakfast. I asked for a quiet room, and the gentleman made sure that's what I got, so Thank You! While the room wasn't particularly spacious, it sufficed, the decor was very pleasant and it was immaculately clean, absolutely spotless to be honest.

I ate dinner here.. not a wide menu, but very tasty. Breakfast was EXCEPTIONAL! Wide range of cereals etc, a HUGE full English which kept me going until late afternoon, and delicious brown toast. A nice touch was that they serve tea to you in a teapot, rather than the ubiquitous urn or coffee / tea machine. A definite 10/10 then.

I understand Hilden is a family run enterprise, if so all credit to them. Their guest house offered exceptional friendliness and old world courtesy and customer service.

I'd certainly stay here again without hesitation...I'll just make sure it's either not snowing or I get there early for on site parking :-).

Room Tip: Simple... just ask for a quiet room, and they oblige. I had the " Golden Miller " double...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MikeC-R23
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments and your constructive ones also, which we take all comments very seriously.

We apologise about the mix up with your bill glad we got it sorted. With regards to the parking again we apologise however we do have a small car park able to take about 6/7 cars (if parked ok) and on street parking here is safe and free next to the hotel. unfortunately the snow does not help at all.

Since your stay ALL our rooms have now been fitted with Double Glazed units, so the road noise is near no longer an issue we hope, but even quieter rooms are available Rooms 9 & 10 are best if prefered.

Again thank you for the time taken to review our property and look forward to seeing you again.

Regards

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I am a single female who stayed in this B&B for an autumn weekend. My room was nice and clean with rather modern furnishings, two single beds and a small bathroom with a shower. My rate included breakfast, which was the best part of this B&B-- a good variety of warm breakfast offerings with fresh fruit, yogurt and juices. The man at the desk was very helpful and friendly as well. One warning: the address number seems like it should be right in Charlton Kings, but it is quite a bit further out of town. The numbers are vastly different on each side of the street.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

didnt have dinner or breakfast but all seemed nice and relaxed , room a bit small but ok, needs decent soundproof double glazing as road noise very loud plus be better if bed was an actual double not two single mattresses. so ok all in all but nothing amazing

Room Tip: probably avoid road side rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

All our rooms are now double glazed, so the traffic noise is near zero, we would like to thank you for your constructive comment that has helped us focus where to improve our rooms.

We hope to see you again, then you can see and hear the difference yourself.

Kind Regards

London, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

I booked a room at the Hilden Lodge for me and my girlfriend as it was her 30th birthday the week before. I had always wanted to visit the Cotswolds so I saw this as a great opportunity to go there.

We were both looking forward to it for a while and I have to say that we both really enjoyed it.

The hotel is very nice and clean and was 20 mins walk to the busy town centre. Also we had a great breakfast on both mornings.

The manager Wayne was a really nice guy who took time out to talk to us.

I would go there again

• Stayed October 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My wife & I stayed here for a night on a special offer dinner, bed & breakfast rate. They don't particularly advertise their dinners here, but I'd highly recommend them - we were the only ones eating there, which seemed a shame, but we had wonderful service and great food at a bargain rate. The curry was a little hotter than I'd have liked (I asked for it to be 'medium'), so I'd recommend being on the cautious side when choosing how hot to have that.

The breakfast was equally great, and our room was clean, well-maintained and spacious. We've been merrily recommending Hilden Lodge to all our friends since, and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bernard W
Vancouver
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Decent sized room with good furnishings. The level of cleanliness was good. Despite the location on a busy road the room was quiet. The breakfast was good; nice variety of cooked and fresh fruit and cereals. The free wifi was very fast; it seemed like the fastest I have ever experienced while traveling. Staff are very pleasant and accommodating.

Room Tip: Upper floor and away from London Road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AlpinePro
Dear Guest,

We always fill our upper floor first, as we try to keep the ground floor for anyone with any walking difficulties.

We hope to see you again, then you can see and hear the difference yourself.

Kind Regards

Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham
Beaumont House
Beaumont House
#4 of 70 in Cheltenham

Been to Hilden Lodge? Share your experiences!