“Not as advertised” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hilden Lodge
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Not as advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

My wife and I booked a twin room, looking at the double room shown on the website assumed it would be similar, at least in size. It seems a twin room is not expected to be a similar size to a double,in fact our room was so small that the one chair was behind the door, the dressing table come tea area was stuck in a corner so no seat and no room for a seat, if there was you wouldn't have been able to get to the second bed. To turn the radiator on or off you had to move the dressing table out as the control was behind it. The bath was a triumph in fitting toilet basin and shower in the smallest space possible! No shelf to put anything over the small sink, you had to lay toiletries on the basin! So, to dry yourself you had to step into the bedroom as there wasn't enough space to achieved that task in space in front of the basin. When you sat on the loo you had a basin in your face!

The beds were very uncomfortable, every movement made the internal bed frames creak and as a consequence spent half the night sitting up reading.

Then came breakfast, hoping at least this was ok. Pink sausage, mushrooms not cooked through, still raw in the middle, asked for it to be cooked through, came back with cooked mushrooms and sausage but now the scrambled egg had been re heated in a frying pan with butter, so that was in edible, asked for a fried egg and that was fine. Ok things go wrong, so I put these concerns in a letter to the management and they couldn't see that anything about their service was anything other than perfect. So, beware.

Room Tip: Ask what size the room and the bathroom is.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at Hilden House.
As you can see from our other reviews we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction

We were particularly disappointed that you did not enjoy our breakfast.
Gloucester Old Spot Sausages can have a pink tinge when cooked. We test all of our food with a temperature probe prior to serving. All breakfasts are cooked to order, we kept your scrambled egg warm in the oven as requested when you sent back the sausages and the mushrooms.

The bathrooms in our standard rooms are compact. You booked via our website and the photos and details clearly state that twin rooms are smaller and the price reflects the size of the room. We do have other rooms with larger bathrooms and larger shower rooms, but they are priced accordingly.

We are continually improving our service by responding to comments from guests. All of our windows have recently been double glazed to eliminate road noise. We removed the shelves in the bathrooms and replaced them with dispensers but will now try to find a different solution. We have a programme to replace regularly beds and mattresses. We were not aware that yours was an issue, but will now review immediately.

Our management assistant responded to all of the comments that you made in your original email. He is very proud of the guest house, and takes things very personally so I'm sorry if he did not respond too well to criticism.

We are not perfect but we try very hard to offer a good service. I can only apologise if you feel that you were let down on this occasion.

Wayne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay recently , Wayne could not have been more helpful and friendly , his wife Melissa was an excellent cook and nothing was too much trouble. Would recommend .

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We would like to say thank you so much for your lovely words, Regards Wayne & Melissa
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

A very friendly hotel. Comfortable room and excellent breakfast makes this good value for money.

The room I stayed in apparently uses a 'Saniflo' plumbing system (that was the name mentioned by the person on reception) and it blocked the morning I was departing. There is a warning sticker by the toilet about what not to flush down it, so I am guessing this happens from time to time. I was given use of the bathroom in an adjacent empty guest room that was fortunately available, so no great inconvenience overall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We apologise about our saniflo on that particular day (was fixed immediately), we glad we were able to help, but it was not our intention to inconvenience you, glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

Regards
Wayne & Melissa
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Myself and my husband really enjoyed our stay at Hilden Lodge. We arrived on a bitterly cold afternoon the hotel and our room was like toast....very welcoming indeed. Wayne greeted us at the front door on arrival and was most helpful at all times during our stay.The room was very clean
and lovely fresh and fluffy towels daily and the breakfast was very satisfying and plentiful,the town
was a 5min walk from the hotel and had a few places to eat a must visit is Kings the Indian.... FABULOUS!!!! In general we had a lovely stay thank you Wayne and Melissa.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We would like to thank you for your lovely comments and glad we could help with your curry experience. Regards Wayne & Melissa
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Spent a weekend break here in February with my girlfriend. I contacted the hotel the week before we arrived to see if they could arrange for a bottle of champagne and flowers could be ready on arrival. The staff could not of been more helpful, they even had a vase ready for my girlfriend to put the flowers in. In terms of breakfast, the food was v.good (recommend the homemade jam). The hotel itself is in an excellant location for going into Cheltenham, or venturing futher afield into the Cotswolds.
All in all, a very enjoyable stay, which was made even more so by the staff

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to make a review of our Boutique Hotel and we are glad we could be of service to yourselves, a lovely couple and we hope that we can see you again soon.

Best Regards

Wayne & Melissa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I spent last Saturday night at Hilden Lodge with a group of friends for my Hen night. On arrival (and we were 30 mins early and this was no problem) Wayne was very helpful and friendly, showing everyone to their rooms. I was totally surprised to arrive in my room to find a complimentary bottle of Champagne and Flowers - what a lovely gesture!
The room was clean, tidy, spacious and wonderfully decorated - all my hens had the same comments of their rooms.
We ordered an Afternoon Tea which was plentiful, delicious, fresh food. For only £8.95 per head it was amazing value for money. Wayne was always on hand topping up our Champagne glasses whilst we spent the afternoon painting pottery (I used an external company).

We ate out in the evening but I have no doubt that if we have eaten at the Lodge it would have been just as fabulous as all the other food during our stay.

Breakfast was lovely, a great selection and all cooked freshly, credit to Melissa in the kitchen :)

If you are thinking of planning such an event I can't recommend Hilden Lodge enough. We had the Lodge exclusively which was perfect and so reasonably priced. Any questions I had before the event were promptly answered by email. Superb customer service, as you will see I rarely write reviews on here but I really felt this was thoroughly deserved.

All in all a fabulous experience, I was disappointed when it was over!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely review we were both so happy that your weekend gave you a good send off before your wedding.

You were all perfect ladies and a pleasure to have you through our door.

We wish you good luck on your happy day and hope to see some of you again soon.

Best Wishes

Wayne & Melissa xx
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Had stayed at this hotel before and had an okay time, so I was looking forward to a second visit and checking in, especially after a 4 hour drive in grim weather.

However, the front door was locked on arrival at 8pm and the bell didn't work because the batteries had been put in the wrong way round - when I did get let in I filled in the arrival document and immediately asked if I was going to be eating. Just tell me the restaurant is serving until 9:30 should I like to dine would be so much nicer. I did have dinner at the hotel, but I could tell I was an inconvenience, as the only one in the restaurant. It was horribly rushed and I felt guilty for keeping the chef working. Having the breakfast buffet set up and on show the previous evening is just weird.

The room was cramped and the bathroom tiny - I will give the hotel another go just to see if it gets better. The room rate at £50 is just about acceptable for this level of hotel

I do prefer to write positive reviews, so a real shame I can't do this for the Hilden Lodge

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wayne F, General Manager at Hilden Lodge, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay with us.

As you can appreciate things do go wrong and the problem with the bell has been fixed, however you were apologised to when you came in.

As you may recall from your previous stay our restaurant is open till 9pm and we apologise if you felt inconvenienced I have never rushed anyone, plus I always ask whether guest would like to dine, maybe I am being too efficient to clear your table so you can work, however whether 1 or many eat, all are welcome, that same evening we had a meal prepared for someone arriving at 10pm, so we do go out of our way at times.
With regards to your meal we did go out of our way which you did not mention as we served you a free desert as you did not realise our Ham served was Gammon.
Our breakfast buffet is always laid out this was the case in your last trip, our tables were set for evening service and then reset after 9pm for breakfast.

Our rooms come in all shapes and sizes and some are smaller or larger, in your last stay you had a standard double and on your recent stay a large king size, we will gladly choose a larger room (if available) for your next stay, should you wish to visit us again. Our prices are reflective of the time of year and a corporate rate was given to you as a regular stayer.

We do hope you stay with us again and appreciate having the opportunity to reply to your comments.

Regards

#2 of 6 in Charlton Kings
The Cheltenham Townhouse
The Cheltenham Townhouse
#8 of 71 in Cheltenham

Been to Hilden Lodge? Share your experiences!