“A Treasure in the Cotswalds!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlton Kings Hotel

Charlton Kings Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“A Treasure in the Cotswalds!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Charlton Kings has all the feeling of a delightful B&B while being a hotel. The owners, Lyn and Stuart, are most welcoming and play an active part in the running of the hotel. We had a room for 3 with our grandchild having a separate alcove in our attic room. The food was more than ample and was cooked to our individual tastes. We did experience some traffic noise as it's very close to a somewhat busy road but it certainly didn't keep us awake at night. Overall a lovely experience and one we could recommend.

Room Tip: If you're needing a triple room you need to request that specifically from the owners as it'...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Don't think anyone's called us a treasure before! Very glad you liked it here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. It was a lovely stay and in a good location for what we wanted. The staff were very friendly and were constantly checking to see if there was anything we needed. The breakfast was really good, a lot of choice and the bed was really comfortable too. I noticed there was a review about room 6, that it was too close to the main road and was too noisy. This was not a problem for us and didn't think It was loud at all. If I was going to be picky about this room it would be that the TV was too far from the bed but again wasn't really a massive issue. We booked out another 2 rooms also as we had family members staying also and again there were no problems at all and seemed to enjoy their stay as much as we did. We would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in or around that area. Thank you for a lovely stay :)

Room Tip: We had rooms 3, 4 & 6. Rooms 3 & 4 were ground floor rooms and were away from the main road...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MelissaRick123
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Many thanks for the review. We're pleased you liked staying here.
devon UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We were on route to visit family so wished to stop off for the one night to break our journey. Travelling with a large dog meant we needed a large enough room for him to move around in and this we certainly got. Our room was downstairs, beautifully decorated and very large - room 2. The bed and the shower cubicle were huge - Room 2.
We arrived earlier than check in time hoping to just drop off our bags and were made to feel very welcome.
Being on the A40 means it is very convenient and easy to find- yes of course there is road noise which at night time was not a great amount and the double glazing windows do the job they are meant to. I am a light sleeper and did not find the noise the traffic an issue.
The gardens are lovely. The breakfast was really enjoyable and everything we needed was catered for.
Travelling with a dog means we look for hotel locations with or near by exercise areas and there is woods just a few minutes drive away which again is great.
Would stay again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank moorali21
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here overnight on a weekend trip with my mum. The 'hotel', (or guest house as it is more taht), is set in beautiful grounds and looks very impressive. When we arrived to check in we were greeted by a rather miserable man, although to his dues he did take my mums bags from her and helped her up the stairs, bu he was not exactly welcoming.
The rooms are a decent size and comfortable. My mums was slightly smaller that mine, at the back of the hotel but was definately more peaceful, overlooking the car park and some of the garden. I had the top floor room- No. 6 - which, I was sad to say I found very noisy as it overlooks the road. I have to sleep with a window open - more so as the heating was so high - and it made for a pretty bad nights' sleep. The bed was comfirtable, but the pillows were NOT! there were hundreds of them (and I threw most on the floor) but they were very high and firm. I woke with a terrible head & neck ache.
Breakfast was the big let down in this place for me. the ''buffet'' didnt cater to my gluten free needs, unless I wanted yoghurt and the fruit selection was pretty non-existent; grapefruit or grapefruit...so I went without. My mum ordered scrambled egg on toast and when it arrived (served by a very grumpy lady) it was served as a small, all crusts cut off square of bread (barley toasted) and dry looking egg piled on it. (toomuch egg for the bread) and no butter on the toast...
we checked out after breakfast and the young girl at reception, thankfully, was a step up from the gentleman who greeted us, she was smiley and helpful.
If you dont catch the staff on a (clearly) bad day I think this would be a nice place to stay as an overnight/short break. The wifi connection is good and so are the facilities, all in all it was ok.

Room Tip: if you need to sleep with a window open, dont take room 6 - it may be marginally bigger but the road...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Too much scrambled egg and too many pillows! If these were the worst of your problems you’re a lucky person! Our scrambled eggs, by the way, are cooked to order with free-range eggs (not bulk liquid egg which some caterers use) and usually reach the guest within a couple of minutes of leaving the pan. Sorry, but I don’t get your general complaint about breakfast. You could have had: bacon, smoked salmon, eggs (boiled, fried, scrambled, or poached), tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, and other fruit (prunes, apricots, banana) as well as grapefruit, all of which are gluten-free. But you only wanted black coffee. All bedroom radiators are under guest control: If your room was hot you could have turned the radiator off. Apologies for not being full of jokes when I showed you to your room, but I try to adjust my level of ebullience and humour to the guest. If people want to chat and gossip then I try to comply, if I sense they don’t, then I don’t. It takes two to tango.
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Myself and two colleagues, who were attending a boiler management course nearby, stayed there for two nights. We arrived on Sunday afternoon and checked out on Tuesday morning. On arrival we were greeted by owners Stuart and Lynn who were both extremely pleasant and courteous. Our rooms were excellent, clean bright and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was probably the cleanest I've came across on my travels. Although we never actually had an evening meal on the premises the menu was quite varied with prices no more than you would expect to pay in an establishment of this quality. Breakfast was fantastic - I opted for the full English both days. It was cooked to perfection with, as Stuart informed me, the sausage and bacon being grilled (so no unsightly fat or grease as so often found in other places). Lynn was always on hand to top up the coffee cup. The hotel boasts a nice bar with an adequate selection of spirits and bottled beers. There was also an ample selection of wines available. We had flown down from Aberdeen to Birmingham and hired a car for the journey to Cheltenham. I would seriously consider doing the same again with my wife to spend a long weekend at the Charlton Kings. A very enjoyable experience indeed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thanks very much for your very kind and detailed review. We're glad you liked staying here and naturally we hope the course had a successful conclusion.
Kent, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here one night on a solo business trip.

Hotel clean and tidy, and very quiet. The room was modern and comfortable, with a well appointed bathroom. The wifi worked well. Breakfast was cooked to order, with a continental buffet. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
sdoughty, Manager at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thanks for your review. We're glad you liked staying here. Thanks for your complimentary note on the wifi.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend recently stayed here for 4 days for valentines. This is a lovely warm, cosy and friendly hotel. It is also superbly located as everywhere we wanted to visit was only 20 minutes away. The room was adorable and had a very decent bathroom with a fantastic shower. The owners are lovely and always talk to you when you see them. The bar is a lovely place to relax after a busy day out. I have no complaints about this hotel at all. It is just what we wanted for a romantic weekend away! :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
sdoughty, Owner at Charlton Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Very pleased that you liked staying here so much, and that everything was to your satisfaction. Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlton Kings
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham
Hilden Lodge
Hilden Lodge
#1 of 6 in Charlton Kings

Been to Charlton Kings Hotel? Share your experiences!