“Good Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
London, United Kingdom
“Good Stay”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Good accomadation , near to Stanstead airport with car parking facilities and very well priced .
Nothing too fancy , but very clean , nice big room with comfy bed and really nice hot bath and showers .
Efficient and prompt service to and from the airport .
Didn't eat at the hotel but several people seemed to be enjoying what they had , while we watched at the bar . Theres a couple of country pubs that do food withi 5 minutes drive from the hotel if you want an alternative .
Overall , if you want budget accomadation and relaxation before going on holiday whilst leaving your car securely , I don't think you can go wrong .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here the night before our recent holiday as it provided parking and transfers. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful, despite you being aware of all sorts of little jobs being done within the grounds.

The greeting was a bit iffy, but who cares ... the room was lovely. The restaurant is small and kind of off the lobby area so it gave a bit of a canteen feel to it. Sadly, I couldn't eat my evening meal, despite them taking it away and providing me with another, but you can't go by that because my Husband loved his.

The service backwards and forwards to the airport was excellent, and took around 10 minutes.

All in all, excellent value and we would go back (I just wouldn't chose the salmon pasta!!!)

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I looked at parking prices at Stansted and when I discovered this hotel offering very similar prices including a room for the night and as we had an early flight I thought why not. The reviews were not great however my experience of our room was it was clean and quite spacious if a little disheveled. We were in a room just off of reception and facing the front which was a little unfortunate as we were disturbed by the van picking up and dropping off customers throughout the night along with inconsiderate customers having cigarettes outside the room and ensuring that everyone in the county heard their conversations.

For the money paid and the services provided I thought it was excellent value for money and would certainly use again - fully understanding what you are getting. The drop off and pick up from the airport was perfect and is an extra cost - but overall still good value.

Room Tip: avoid rooms at the front if at all possible.
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I had a early flight so I decided to stay there for 1 night. Had a pretty good deal from bookig.com.
When I wanted to contact the hotel before my stay, it was awful. I send an e-mail and I didn't received any answer, so 3 days later I called. When someone finally answered, then I am sorry, she was nice and everything, but her accent is way too strong to be easily understandable. I had to contact them one more time and same story- takes ages to get an answer.
I work in the hotel as reception manager, so I was more than ready to be disappointed. Because unlike most people, I look these things thru professional eyes and reception, for me, is obviously important.
I got there. The hotel is looking amazing from outside! Go in- the reception is looking like a bar-extension. Not very welcoming. I assume, that the lady who answered my call was the same one who checked my in. She changed my room around- away from the noise. Appreciated! But it takes ages to get to the far-end rooms. And the smell in the corridors are horrible! Too many housekeeping chemicals.
But I loved my room! It did looked exactly like home for me :) Loved the colour-scheme. I was very happy! Bed was incredibly comfy! I had a hard time to get myself up the next day :)
Bedrooms doors should be checked, though! They make way too much noise for a hotel. Luckily, when I was at sleep, no-one were walking around.
Bathroom on the other end- Please, get new housekeeping staff in or train the ones you have. I am not fussy and I don't go around the corners with white glove, but it was almost too much!
I went for the full deal and I had dinner in the restaurant. Nice enough! Young man serving was polite and did he's best, but if I tell him, that I would like my salad as a starter, then I would like to finish my salad before I get my main course. And I like my medium-well done steak to be medium-well not medium-rare. (not he's fault, I know that it goes to the kitchen) But Ok, it was still good.
I absolutely loved the idea that they had proper coffee-machine out for breakfast! Blew me off my feet! But it would be even better, if next to cheese (wasn't too good, unfortunately) and ham, you would have sliced tomatoes or cucumber etc. as well.
The transfer to Stansted next morning- the main reason I stayed there and I am not disappointed!

I know, that all this doesn't sound very positive, but I am happy that I stayed there and if I should have reason in the future I will return there!
Recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for only one night on our way to Stansted for an early morning flight. It was a very cheap booking and I wasn't expecting too much due to price, however.. Wow! The hotel grounds were lovely and based in a quiet location away from airport hustle and bustle and noise.. The room we stayed in was beautiful with lavish furnishings and very comfortable. We found ourselves wishing we'd gone earlier and extended our holiday! You can also leave your car at this hotel and they will shuttle you to and from the airport at a very good price, cheaper than the discounted airport parking we had paid.. The only down side was the restaurant where the food was expensive and mediocre with a very limited menu.. They really should get a chef and prepare fresh home cooked meals, It would make this hotel one of the best! The staff were very welcoming and friendly too.

Room Tip: We chose to book the annex but on arrival were upgraded to a room we had decided not to opt for when...
1 Thank vivstrazz
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Here is my review of the De Salis Hotel Stansted, I hope you find it helpful in making a decision as to whether or not to stay there.

I was going to give this hotel a moderate review as it was good value for money at £55 for a nights stay and 15 days parking, transfers to Stansted were £9 per person return but it still represented good value.

On arrival the hotel looks nice in it's own grounds and it is 10 minutes from the airport. Check-in was quick and easy and all rooms are on the ground floor. There is a restaurant and a bar with the usual options fr food and drink, we did try the restaurant for an evening meal and to be honest it was average but expensive. Parking is on-site so none of the move car to off-site parking and get a bus.

Our room on initial impression seemed ok and it was of a good size, the bed was comfortable and generally the room was clean, although the bathroom door stuck badly and my wife struggled to close it. I would at this point bring up a couple of issues the first regarding safety. The bathroom has an electric (oil) towel rail, now I don't know if it worked or not but the power cord went through a hole in the wall tile and I could easily pull it out to reveal the connection to the 220 mains supply. From my understanding ALL electrical appliances in a bathroom should be connected by a fused spur and connected to the mains via this spur not just a drilled hole in the wall and no fastening?

The second issue I would highlight is the shower. It was one of these cubicle things with a radio multiple water jets etc. I could not get it to work and had to resort to calling down to reception for help (a first for me not being able to work a shower). On arrival it took the chap ten minutes to figure it out so I did not feel to thick in the end! Here is the point though, it's was useless and turning the water temp down took a massive amount of force to turn the control and even then it was still very hot. Also the multi jets were encrusted in mould and lime-scale and once in the shower the water struggled to drain the reason for this became apparent when I lifted the “plug” and found Lilliput and Gulliver were living down there, it was FILTHY and I mean FILTHY, so much so that my wife refused to use it preferring to wash over the sink.

Our transfers went ok the next morning so for the price the stay was acceptable and at this point I was prepared to give it an average rating except the following happened.

On our return I called the hotel as instructed but we were then delayed at customs so when we got to the collection point the transfer was not there. So I rang the hotel and received a “lecture” for not being at the pick-up point by the receptionist, a good start but it gets better (in an ironic way not a good way). On arrival at the hotel I went to reception to collect my car keys as you have to leave them behind in-case they need to move your car. To cut a long story short they had lost my car keys.

Much scurrying about then ensued, eventually after 45 minutes to 1 hour they came up with the following excuse. Somehow my car keys had been taken “off-site” to a secure location and had been left there by mistake and someone had been dispatched to collect them, but this would take about an hour. Considering we had a 250 mile journey ahead of us I was, as you can imagine, not a happy bunny by this point.

Now I can be at times gullible but I am not stupid as the car was still on-site? Now imagine my surprise when we entered a Star Trek time shift scenario and the dispatched person returned after 15 minutes with my keys? A half hearted apology was given with no explanation offered.

I had taken my odometer reading including a photograph when we left the car and imagine my surprise when it turned out my car had traveled 20 plus miles during it's 14 day stay at the De Salis hotel.

Well that’s our experience and I hope it helps, but as in all these things you will have to make up your own mind whether or not to stay here based on the cost compared to other airport hotels in the area.

Thanks for taking the time to read our review.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank peterobinmoore

Travellers are raving about these Elsenham hotels

Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here, one night before an early flight. Great value, fine room and fine restaurant too. Only problem is no wifi in bedrooms or phone reception either but then I suppose this gave me peace and quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,450 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,950 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,109 reviews
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!