“Not Recommended!!”
Review of DeSalis Hotel

DeSalis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently for one night. I agree with some of the previous reviews that it's nothing like the pictures. Firstly the 'car park' has cars parked everywhere at all angles, obviously not a proper long stay car park for travellers, I would not leave my car there for longer than I had to. The room was very tired looking with no matching furniture. The sink basin was cracked and basically it was all very dated and needed to be refurbished. The beige carpet was covered in stains. There was no internet connection and we could not get a signal on our mobiles. We asked the reception to order us a cab to take us two miles away for a function. To our surprise, the two mile trip, one way, was £16.50!!!! I hate being ripped off in my own country. Finally we were just going to bed when someone opened our room door, their key card had obviously been programmed for our room too!!! I was happy when I left first thing the next morning, avoiding having a breakfast and just wanting to get away from there. Not recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed as park of the park and fly deal, after reading reviews I was quite worried! But in reality they were excellent! Our flight was extremely delayed and we didn't arrive until 5am we called reception and the shuttle collected us within 10 minuted when we arrived at the hotel we had a brief wait then were shown to the room, which was basic but nice. We were supposed to check out at 11 but slept in due to the late flight we weren't charged any extra which was great! My car had been moved about 15ft nothing major and my car was undamaged..would use this again for sure

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keleigh R
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had a booking on the 6th December for one night upon arriving at the airport I called the hotel for the shuttle and was told that I would have to get a taxi after midnight, I am attaching the below from your site.
24hr Stansted Airport Shuttle Service

I had to wait for over half an hour for the taxi and was charged £10.50. Upon arriving at the hotel I booked a wake up call at 0330 and transfer at 0440 to the airport. Then I went to the room, room 31 it was a handicapped room I read that your rooms are themed but did not expect that, broken toilet seat on the floor, broken wardrobe handle. The 'wake up call never' happened, then to make matters worse going out to the reception at 0355 nobody was at the deck we (there was another guest waiting) looked around but found no one, at about 0420 someone turned up from outside and we were taken to the airport at 0435.
I am a frequent traveller to Stansted Airport and this is the first and last time I will stay at the hotel because for the money I paid I expect the minimum of things to happen.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DavidColinMartin
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Bargain price for one night accomodation and 3 days parking. Very friendly staff. Food variable and bar had run out of draught beer. Very efficient transport to and from airport. Best feature was room. Not the most up to date but very comfy bed,good sized room and tidy bathroom. Had the best sleep before early morning flight in a long long time. No noise from airport.
Will certainly use again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I actually thought the hotel was pretty nice...a bit different decor wise and not to everyone's taste though. The room was a great size and had everything in that was needed for the night before our flight.
We left our car at the hotel for the week while we were away and had to leave our keys there too, which after reading other reviews, I was a bit dubious about as other peoples cars had apparently been driven and some even had damage to them which had happened while their car was at the hotel.
Anyway, we landed at 23.20pm and I called the hotel just as we had walked through customs, the man asked whereabouts I was and I told him, he then said that I needed to call him when I got outside to the place where we'd been dropped off, which was fair enough, so we got outside and called back straightaway, the same man said that the driver would be with us shortly to pick us up, after about 15/20mins I called the hotel back up, only because I was worried that maybe we were waiting in the wrong place so wanted to make sure we weren't and to also find out what vehicle would be picking us up and asked if it had the name of the hotel on it, this man then got a bit shirty with me and said that the driver had already been there and driven up and down all the lanes and that I wasn't there and that I had obviously called when I was still inside the airport, I then said that I had been standing in exactly the same spot that I had called from and that I was watching for each vehicle that was coming in to the pick up point to see if any came in with the hotel name on and that no vehicle from the hotel had come to get us, but he was rather rude and just kept telling me that I was wrong and basically he was right and the transfer had already been and gone and I wasn't there. So we had to wait even longer. The thing is, I hadn't called to have a go about the transfer being late I was literally just calling to make sure we were definitely in the right place and to find out what vehicle to look out for, but he got all defensive even though I wasn't having a go...and in fact I wouldn't have been bothered if he'd just said that they were running late or whatever it was just the fact that he made out I was lying about me even being where I should've been and trying to make me feel bad that I'd wasted the drivers time. The driver did turn up eventually after me having to call again but this time speaking to a lady who was much more helpful and nicer.
We got back to the hotel fine and thankfully it was the lady who was at reception. My car had been moved around to the other side of the hotel but it was fine.
I would use the hotel again but would suggest that whoever it was that spoke to me on the phone that night and was rude and defensive for absolutely no reason and who insinuated that I was a liar, that they went on some sort of training course to help with their attitude and their interpretation of what customer care is. All other staff we came across were very nice though.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Good accomadation , near to Stanstead airport with car parking facilities and very well priced .
Nothing too fancy , but very clean , nice big room with comfy bed and really nice hot bath and showers .
Efficient and prompt service to and from the airport .
Didn't eat at the hotel but several people seemed to be enjoying what they had , while we watched at the bar . Theres a couple of country pubs that do food withi 5 minutes drive from the hotel if you want an alternative .
Overall , if you want budget accomadation and relaxation before going on holiday whilst leaving your car securely , I don't think you can go wrong .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here the night before our recent holiday as it provided parking and transfers. The hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful, despite you being aware of all sorts of little jobs being done within the grounds.

The greeting was a bit iffy, but who cares ... the room was lovely. The restaurant is small and kind of off the lobby area so it gave a bit of a canteen feel to it. Sadly, I couldn't eat my evening meal, despite them taking it away and providing me with another, but you can't go by that because my Husband loved his.

The service backwards and forwards to the airport was excellent, and took around 10 minutes.

All in all, excellent value and we would go back (I just wouldn't chose the salmon pasta!!!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Hampton By Hilton London Stansted Airport
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!