“Room felt like a crime scene!”
Review of DeSalis Hotel

DeSalis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We booked a room and parking here to make our journey to Stanstead easier, we wish we hadn't.

Our room was horrid, cockroaches, stains all over the floor (looked like blood stains) and a weird burnt iron mark near the bed. The staff couldn't speak a word of English and our car was covered in bird poo when we collected it.

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid if possible!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria S

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room looked okay, but had some major problems. The shower seemed stuck on boiling hot and I couldn't adjust the temperature. That was after I worked out how to turn it on - all the symbols for the different jets had rubbed off the dial so it was a matter of scalding trial and error. There was also an odd LCD panel thing that seemed to give me the option of listening to the radio or a series of deafeningly loud beeps for no apparent reason.
I gave up on the shower, a decision further validated by the discovery of hair that wasn't mine.
There were no plug sockets by the bed so I had to charge my phone on the other side of the room.
There were no bedside lamps or light switches by the bed, so I had to turn off the lights then fumble my way back to bed in the dark.
There was no phone reception in my room, and no connection to the hotel Wifi due to poor signal strength.
Worst of all, I asked for a 4.30 wakeup call which never came. Fortunately I had an alarm set on my phone as well.
Absolutely not worth the considerable amount of money. Avoid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 10 June 2014

There are hedges on the road to this hotel, where I would prefer to sleep. The front rooms are verminous, and two young ladies who were at the desk compplaining that their bed was full of ants were offered a tin of ant powder! They held their ground fortunately, and insisted on a room on the other side of the building; the concierge reluctantly agreed, when he saw that other guests were in total agreement. The hotel runs its own bus service; i obviously attracted a weird driver, who, on the narrow lanes to the airport at one point touched 80 ( mph ). I inadvertently left one of my professional chef's knives in the room. Returning later to collect it, no effort was made to localise it, and the enquiry was dismissed with a disinterested shrug. Someone knows the value of top notch german cutlery!
If you think that you will be met at the airport, be assured that you will need to phone minimum three times. I don't expect much at airport budget hotels, but even at this level of hospitality, there are depths of personal degradation to which I will not descend. This dive is such a place

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've stayed here before but had the misfortune of been booked in again !!! What a joke of a place with parking that can only be discribed ,I hope I see my car again in one piece!
The rooms are nothing like the photos in the website and are disgusting in cleanliness. The hotel is run on a low budget . If I ever stay here again I will send someone else to take my place I don't like. Avoid this place and stay somewhere more expensive.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank ritzproperties123
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Booked here before flying by myself and thought it would be less hassle than tackling the m25 at 4am.

Arrived at the hotel and squeezed my car into the very disorganised car park, which is basically an 'abandon your car where you can find space' job.
At reception I was then told that I was being moved to a sister hotel as the hot water was not working and put into a minibus for 30 minutes not knowing where the hell I was going!
Sister hotel was further away above an indian resturante.
Transfer to airport was however on time.

However! On the way home I realised that I was un aware of details of my transfer back to this hotel to collect my car, so I had my friend phone them and ask for details.
He was told that they had no idea where my car was and spoke very broken english so did not understand the problem.

I had to pay a taxi to go and collect my car once I had landed.

Not worth the money! Should have paid for the more expensive place!!! AVOID!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank helenwaugh441
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We received a phone call en route to the hotel informing us that we could no longer stay there as there was a leak from the roof but an alternative was available only 15 minutes away. When we arrived to get the details for the new hotel we were told that it wasn't the roof that was leaking but the toilet and it was fine to stay in! We were then charged £9 a head for return transport to Stansted Airport. This charge is in the small print which we should have read. The car park at the hotel was packed and disorganised; we were simply told to find a space which was difficult.

The room was filthy and in dire need of decoration. The sheets and carpets were stained. I requested a wake up call and was informed that it would probably happen - it didn't. When I informed reception of this the girl couldn't speak because her mouth was full so she simply shrugged her shoulders. The transport was late departing for the airport; when the driver arrived he grunted "let's go".

All in all this was an unpleasant way to start a holiday. The standard is much lower than one would expect from a hotel near a large UK airport.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Mdm43597
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I was refused airport pick up after previously confirmed with hotel, no room available at 1.30 am, alternative hotel was a low standard pub, no manger available. Utter rubbish service, my advice! pay a few pounds more, you get what you pay for.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gaz S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!