“Not worth the money”
Review of DeSalis Hotel

DeSalis Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elsenham
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We arrived Sunday 22nd June late afternoon. We were lucky that we found a parking space at the front of hotel. When you enter the hotel the reception is tucked away I a corner. It was a hot day, we asked if they supplied water in the room, but was told no and was charged £1.50 per small bottle of water. We booked into our jacuzzi room, first impressions were this is OK, but a 2nd look you saw sofa with a big split, the carpet had staines, when you laid on the bed you rolled into the middle of the bed. The towels were a joke, we had 2 towels that were slightly bigger than a hand towel and 1 hand towel. This was suppose to be one of the best rooms in the hotel.
We went to breakfast , there was plenty of choice of cereals. We was asked if we wanted a cooked breakfast to which we said yes, then they disappeared, no choice was given for your cooked breakfast. The breakfast was all over cooked and was of poor quality. We didn't expect the ritz for the price, but we did expect better. We were glad that we were not leaving our car at the hotel the parking was poor. Will. Or re visit this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue J

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Thought it was a good idea to stay and get the free car parking. BIG mistake. On arrival you are told to drive round and find a parking spot. We spent 20 minutes driving between badly parked vehicles and down rutted tracks, into the woods they use to park. Everything so tightly packed that you risk getting your car damaged just trying to find a spot. If it is left there you risk it being damaged by others seeking a spot. Never found a spot at all. Parked in front of the door to ask advice. The transit bus driver arrived and was very rude to my wife as it was his spot. So car parking not good...... and VERY EXPENSIVE..... more later.
We had not actually printed off our confirmation. So although we had had a confirmation email and we could see our name on their list, they demanded a printed copy, otherwise they would not accommodate us. I WISH THEY HAD NOT.
Decor and rooms very tired, shabby and creaky.
If you like to try and sleep with cars crawling round the site looking for non existent parking places, go for it.
Food, Ok if you are not too choosy.
Staff, varies, one honest but difficult, one downright rude and unpleasant, manager hopeless. The owner is just plain dishonest (more later).
So up to leaving, not a pleasant start to a vacation, but tolerable at the price.

The return is somewhat different. When you get there at 11pm and want your car keys for a long drive home, you may find like I did that there is a critical key part missing. The parking guy (who may take your car up to 25 miles away) tells you that it was missing (It wasn't) when you dropped the key off. The receptionist luckily confirmed that it was not missing, nevertheless it was not given back to me.

So 11.00pm and keyless.

The manager assured me in writing that they would compensate me, but wanted to talk to the owner. The owner stopped the call and said he would call back in 2 minutes. 20 minutes later no call.

The owner assured me in 4 emails that they would pay. Firstly it was... we will send a cheque, then give your credit card we will refund, then bank account details, then we will pay in 2 days.

It never came. He lies and lies and lies.

So in summary, if you want a cheap hotel that may or not accommodate you when you arrive, depending upon whether they have sold your room to someone else; a shabby dirty room, indifferent food, rude, dishonest staff, a risk of damage to your car, 50 miles on the clock with an unknown driver to an unknown destination; potentially at worst a night trying to get into your car and a car lock specialist at the cost of £600 at best a replacement key at the cost of a day messing around and a very big bill from your Ford dealer. This is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank kelvin273
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have stayed in places that had poor reviews before and they have turned out to be O.K. but in this case all the poor reviews are right. Listen to them and pay more and go elsewhere.
When we arrived they had us booked into a single room when in fact we had booked a double, luckily I had my paperwork and this was resolved. We then had to let them know what time in the morning we needed transfers and what time we needed breakfast. We had a meal in a large room with reception and bar in one corner and a lounge and eating area taking up the rest of the room. The food was edible, not great and the staff found it difficult to understand what drinks we wanted. We then decided to go to the airport earlier and went to reception to change the times. We were told we couldn't get a cooked breakfast at that time (6.30 a.m.) despite being told by the previuos person that we could so opted for the continental instead although received no refund of the difference.
Our room was shabby and the bed needed a new mattress, we had an awful nights sleep as the cars parked against the windows were being parked and collected all night and the bed was so uncomfortable.added to this the noise of a cat being strangled everytime we or anyone else in surrounding rooms flushed the loo.The breakfast next morning was mediocre to say the least. we went to get the minibus to the airport and was told it was full but that a car would be along in 10 minutes and we and two other people were crammed in like sardines.
The reception staff seemed to be completely uninterested in anyone's complaints and there was a lot of shoulder shrugging. I don't usually give a bad review but in this case it is deserved so I would say pay the extra and go to the other hotels so that your trip gets off to a good start.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andysgirl49
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We booked a room and parking here to make our journey to Stanstead easier, we wish we hadn't.

Our room was horrid, cockroaches, stains all over the floor (looked like blood stains) and a weird burnt iron mark near the bed. The staff couldn't speak a word of English and our car was covered in bird poo when we collected it.

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid if possible!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room looked okay, but had some major problems. The shower seemed stuck on boiling hot and I couldn't adjust the temperature. That was after I worked out how to turn it on - all the symbols for the different jets had rubbed off the dial so it was a matter of scalding trial and error. There was also an odd LCD panel thing that seemed to give me the option of listening to the radio or a series of deafeningly loud beeps for no apparent reason.
I gave up on the shower, a decision further validated by the discovery of hair that wasn't mine.
There were no plug sockets by the bed so I had to charge my phone on the other side of the room.
There were no bedside lamps or light switches by the bed, so I had to turn off the lights then fumble my way back to bed in the dark.
There was no phone reception in my room, and no connection to the hotel Wifi due to poor signal strength.
Worst of all, I asked for a 4.30 wakeup call which never came. Fortunately I had an alarm set on my phone as well.
Absolutely not worth the considerable amount of money. Avoid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 10 June 2014

There are hedges on the road to this hotel, where I would prefer to sleep. The front rooms are verminous, and two young ladies who were at the desk compplaining that their bed was full of ants were offered a tin of ant powder! They held their ground fortunately, and insisted on a room on the other side of the building; the concierge reluctantly agreed, when he saw that other guests were in total agreement. The hotel runs its own bus service; i obviously attracted a weird driver, who, on the narrow lanes to the airport at one point touched 80 ( mph ). I inadvertently left one of my professional chef's knives in the room. Returning later to collect it, no effort was made to localise it, and the enquiry was dismissed with a disinterested shrug. Someone knows the value of top notch german cutlery!
If you think that you will be met at the airport, be assured that you will need to phone minimum three times. I don't expect much at airport budget hotels, but even at this level of hospitality, there are depths of personal degradation to which I will not descend. This dive is such a place

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've stayed here before but had the misfortune of been booked in again !!! What a joke of a place with parking that can only be discribed ,I hope I see my car again in one piece!
The rooms are nothing like the photos in the website and are disgusting in cleanliness. The hotel is run on a low budget . If I ever stay here again I will send someone else to take my place I don't like. Avoid this place and stay somewhere more expensive.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank ritzproperties123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elsenham
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Hampton By Hilton London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Novotel London Stansted Airport
Novotel London Stansted Airport
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!