“Return trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
BC, Canada
“Return trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Whitworth Hall once again met all my expectations!!...
The hotel itself is in of a bit of up dating but overall it was a great trip.
The staff are great, they are so helpful and caring. Jackie and Carol are that best front desk ppl there are. The food was wonderful and the serving staff were great. The hotel is kept very clean and the cleaning staff are great as well.
I"m so happy to have found this place.
The deer are so peaceful to watch and make it an overall wonderful experience.
Thank you all.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed for just one night whilst visiting friends in the area, but wished we could have stayed longer. It's just the nicest Best Western Hotel we have ever stayed in set in a lovely Country Park. The room was spotless as was everywhere in the hotel. We would definately recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janetmills
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Wow - I have never seen so many deer! And never so many from a bedroom window. The hotel really is in a spectacular spot. I planned to walk over to the pub/restuarant but it was raining heavily. My room was large and comfortable with free high speed internet (via a network cable not wireless). The shower wasn't very powerful but the water was warm enough. My only real disappointment was with the restaurant. My fish and chips were extremely disappointing the flesh of the fish being less than a centimeter in depth and it all tasting like the oil was just a bit old. I was in the North East - I had high expectaitions! I was so tired I didn't make a fuss - I expect they would have been very apologetic but it shouldn't have been like that - my cheeseboard was very good.

I only had coffee and toast at breakfast - they were fine.I agree with a previous comment that some of the staff could do with some training. I also thought the main bar area needed a bit more fresh air running through it. - it was a bit stuffy [OK - smelly]

So in summary my room was good with a spectacular view and, although the hotel is not perfect, with deals starting at £55 B&B I have to say that this is really a very good value hotel to stay at - certainly considering its surroundings. I think I'll return and hopefully see an improvement in the food.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions whilst working in Durham and it is a hotel I very much look forward to visiting. Sometimes I get fantastic four poster rooms with wonderful views over the deerpark and gardens. There are places to sit outside for a drink and to eat if its a warm evening and there are several options for eating in the evening. I just wish they did a cheaper continental style breakfast as I dont usually want a big cooked breakfast every work morning but £13 for orange juice, coffee and toast is a bit steep . The staff are very friendly and helpful, volunteering information and tips which is always welcome - you do actually believe they care that you have a good stay with them. I would intend to go back with my family in the near future as the children would love feeding the deer and exploring the grounds - there is a lake and lakeside pub and restaurant and (I think) a children play area just inside the entrance. The internet is free, unresricted and connecting is completely hassle free - a big relief after the hoops you have to jump through at some hotels to get online.

Room Tip: Smile and ask nicely?
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I booked this hotel for a 1 nights stay for my wife's birthday present or part of.
We found the hotel very easy after a short visit to near by Durham on Sat 30-7-2011.
As we arrived on the grounds we were suprised to see Heards of Deer running around (behind a fence), Wow this was nice.
Then we checked in & went to the room No 1.
Well it was everything that it said on the Tin as they say.
My wife was well pleased with the room and the flowers that I had arranged for her upon arrival at the the room.
Evening dinner was GREAT, drinks a bit pricey food Excellent.
Breakfast was ample.............

Don't delay book a stay......

Room Tip: Look nat the web site's rooms, ask for what you require, we got what I'd asked for.....
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here on business. Normally travel by car from Nottingham and stay in Newcastle centre overnight. However decided to choose a hotel further out to cut down on my journey, then drive into Newcastle the next day for work. Whitworth Hall is a lovely hotel, set in a beautiful setting, and is just off the A1. Staff were friendly, and efficient. Room was large, clean and well appointed. Bar food was really well prepared and tasty, and not too pricey. Free WiFi with a strong connection.
Definitely do this again, and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rbrownrbrown
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Wonderful buildings and grounds are a feature of the stay.
Dinner was very good value for money and is worthwhile including in your package. We were spoilt for choice on our two night stay. Staff are wonderful.
This was our second visit and on both occasions the bar has run out of its real ale.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spennymoor
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hardwick Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,998 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Been to BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!