“Worst Wetherspoons I've ever been to.”

The Grand Electric Hall
Ranked #6 of 32 Restaurants in Spennymoor
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This Wetherspoons has been open for little over a year and during that time I have been less than impressed, however wrote many of the issues off to teething problems.

15 months on, it would appear this is not the case.

The draught beers are usually of mediocre to poor quality, I have found that the John Smiths and Guinness usually has quite a harsh metallic taste.

I have only ate here once and have no plans to do so again in the future, however I have been here a number of times with friends who have been eating and noticed the same consistencies with poor quality. There are often long wait times for food and the food usually arrives looking quite oily. Last time I was here I observed another customer returning their food as it was apparently still frozen in the middle.

Many people share the same opinion of the decor. Most Wetherspoons I have visited often have the same rustic and homely style of decor, which is quite appealing. However this particular venue is akin to a canteen/cafeteria with the cheap plastic furniture and bright colours. I am aware that due to the history of the building, the venue has been decorated in a way which reflects the fact this was previously a bingo hall. Unfortunately the main bar (which was the main bingo hall) has a high ceiling which makes the building echo quite badly as well as usually being quite cold. For some unknown reason there are also windows which offer an unrestricted view from the bar into the women's toilets, something that if I was female I would not be comfortable with.

Finally I will comment on the level of customer service offered by the staff, this is consistent with every visit I have made over the past 15 months. First of all it can take quite some time to get served, even if the bar is empty, a lot of the staff seem to prefer standing having a conversation amongst themselves rather than do their job. I have noticed that the staff are quite keen to exercise their right to ban people, even for relatively minor misdemeanors which could have been resolved via a polite request. Although this only applies to customers who do not seem to pose any threat to the staff, I have noticed that customers who appear (shall we say) a little bit more intimidating than your average person are quite often left to their own devices - regardless of what they may be getting up to. I am also aware of some members of staff point blankly refusing to exchange food if something is wrong.

On a related note, I am aware of some quite frankly intimidating behavior shown by some of the staff very recently towards a young female who should have just been spoken to - about a fairly minor incident. I tell you this story purely to enforce my feelings of the venue, not in an act of childish spite. However they were followed off the premises and aggressively spoken to at a very close proximity to their face.

I'm no customer service expert, however I have previously done bar and security work in Spennymoor and this is not the correct attitude or approach to conflict resolution. Frankly, I do not care for intimidation on any level.

In my honest opinion I would recommend that the staff are given more customer service training and the quality of the food and drink are assessed. Until I'm aware this is the case I will be trying to avoid frequenting the establishment.

It is unfortunate as I often frequent Wetherspoons venues across the country and I was quite pleased at having one on my doorstep, sadly however there are serious product and people management issues which spoil what could potentially be a great venue.

3  Thank Kristian W
Management T, Manager at The Grand Electric Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello Kristian

i couldn't disagree more with your review and i'm sorry to see that you are not satisfied, i believe the reason for this review is due to the fact a friend of yours was banned from the premises recently and i apologise for this again but we only doing our job and enforcing our policies which we had to on this occasion and feel that this review that you have posted is in relation to that incident which isn't fair on the pub

if you would like to contact me on 01388 825470 (ask for Dave) to discuss this further that would be great as you seem to be very disappointed with your visits here yet you havent informed any managers or staff about the problems you have experienced while in the pub

Kind Regards Dave

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have been in the pub on a lot of occasions for meals and found it to be really friendly and the food food is always spot on , I've also had drinks with friends and the atmosphere is really friendly , staff have always been helpfull and serve you with a smile , would recommend it to Anyone who asks

Management T, Manager at The Grand Electric Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thankyou for your review im pleased you enjoy your visits to The Grand Electric Hall we do try and ensure that our customers are greeted with a smile and get the best customer service.Our food is always at an excellent quality as you will know hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Can't fault the food here, 100% nicer than the Italian over the road.

I had the Peri Peri chicken and my partner had the gourmet burger. Bother really enjoyable. Nice place to pop in for a bite to eat. Good selections of drinks too.

Management T, Manager at The Grand Electric Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thankyou for your review im pleased you enjoyed your visit with us, our food is great value for money and hope you come back and join us in the future.Our aim is to ensure the customer is always satisfied with the food and customer service that we provide day in day out and by the sounds of it we have with you thankyou again for you positive feedback.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is one of the worst spoons (decor wise) I have ever been to.
Usual food and drink as all spoons.
Would have given it more if it wasn't for the poor decor (its like being in the canteen in the film Greece)

Management T, Manager at The Grand Electric Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

DaveleeSpennymoor thank you for your recent post about our pub,unfortunately the decor is out of my hands but hopefully you will see past this and return to us to enjoy the usual Wetherspoon food and drink with excellent value for money served by friendly staff -hope to see you in the near future and taking the time to post a review
kind Regards
Pub Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Visited again to try and make myself like the place. I've visited 3 times now but I just find its not my kind of place for a number of reasons
1. I love the Bishop
Auckland Wetherspoons it's comfortable,warm and inviting and the Spennymoor one is cold I've sat in three different places and always feel chilly it's so non atmospheric. The place sadly has a canteen feel to it and this is down to its design.
2.Food is just ok and sadly although reasonably priced does not represent value for money.
3. Service is very intermittent there are some really nice attentive staff however there are those St the opposite end of the spectrum another huge
negative.
I love to support local business and have tried here its just below the mark on too many key factors for me it's a shame.

Lafybug thank you for taking the time to post a review and trying us out on several occasions im sorry to hear the pubs design is not to your taste which unfortunately i can't change but your comments regarding service will be taking on board and thank you for for trying us out
kind Regards