“Great Meal”
Review of The Punch Bowl Inn

The Punch Bowl Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Consett B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

With a blackboard menu covering everything you can think of from simple gammon to game pie and spicy chicken salad, it took a lot of thought about what to order until I spotted the slow roast pork belly with black pudding and cider sauce at £10.95. The menu prices range from £7 to £17 for a main course. OH had to have the steak of course, and Mil chose scampi with salad and chips. My meal was well cooked, the sauce was lovely and It came with baby potatoes, green beans, savoy cabbage and carrots on a side dish. Mils salad was dressed and looked tasty and OH was impressed with how his steak was cooked (any steak that takes effort to chew always gets sent back in his book). The only fault I can find is OH had home made chips, whilst Mil had frozen ones, which was a bit disappointing, but she still liked them. The staff were attentive and the pub it's self is atmospheric and well furnished. Popped my head into the restaurant, and that looked good too. I will certainly eat here again, and although I haven't stayed here, I can imaging the accommodation will be of the same standard and quality as the good food.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived at the pub at 9pm as we were doing the coast to coast and needed food because there was nowhere near apart from here. They stop serving at 9pm so we asked the bar maid if we could pick a macdonalds up from 10 mile away in consett even though this pubs is suppost to be in consett, The bar maid let us so we sent people out to get the food and when returned we were 'greeted' by the manager which i can say had the worst customer service skills ever with all guns blazing asking us to leave in a very rude manor. He could of asked us to leave polity and we could have but with the bar maid already giving us permission we were very annoid.

After already filling a till of a quiet pub with over £100 and at 10pm when we left could have easily put another £200 between 14 of us in it we left because the manager told us to.

Would never return

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having just completed a days hike in the moors above, I was looking forward to a swift pint before returning home. Upon entering The Punchbowl, I was met with a smiley happy greeting which was very welcomed. The place was packed with people having their Sunday lunch and the heavenly aroma from the kitchens wafted around the bar area. With such popularity of a great watering hole I had to sit in the beer garden(not a loss at all). I ordered a Sunday roast lunch and it came quite swiftly even thought the bar and the restaurant were both full of diners.
The food was delicious and the veg cooked just right. So much taste and going down a treat. Couldn't have fitted a dessert in as I had ample on my plate for the Sunday roast.
Very reasonably priced too, would completely recommend this idyllic pub for service and for tasty food and above all, the idyllic village setting.
Thanks to bar staff, waiting staff, kitchen staff for a great Sunday roast, and even got a pleasant "mind how you go" from the owner, I think his name is Chris.
PS I haven't rated the rooms as never stayed, just lunched :)

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we were there for 3 days and nights, we took our dog also. We were made very welcome, the room was very clean, had tea and coffee and complimentary toiletries. food was very good
owners and staff very attentive, excellent service. We will return and urge you to go you will not be disappointed.

Sheila and David Bain

Room Tip: the village the Inn is in is small and beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheilEdinburgh
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Popped in here after a long walk and weekend in the region
Warmly welcomed by the bar staff, we were promptly seated and brought our drinks
We then tucked into excellent roast beefs and a lamb, followed by splendid sticky toffee puddings and a Christmas pud- just as rich and tasty in June :)
Really enjoyed this first visit. Hope to be back again when out rambling in the beautiful area

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank LeonXC
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I visited this pub for food with some family members who were visiting as it looked nice when we drove past it and it had good reviews. The interior was nice and staff were friendly, but the food was terrible. I had a turkey and ham pie which was utterly tasteless, served with appalling oven chips, definitely not homemade ones. One of my family members chose the chilli and the other chose ham, egg and chips, and reported that the chilli was bland and the ham was fatty. I would only go again for drinks on a nice day, as it has a nice outside area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lara C
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here whilst cycling coast to coast.
Rooms were clean and tidy.
Beds comfortable
Cycle friendly, kept the bikes locked in the adjacent shop which is run by the pub. Bit of a hill to get back to the coast to coast route.
Still good to see locals in the pub.
Shower hot.
Food was good in the pub, as was the beer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ManchesterGlen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Consett
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The Old Mill Knitsley
#3 of 11 in Consett
Bee Cottage Farm Guest House
Deneview Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Punch Bowl Inn? Share your experiences!