“Lovely cafe and farm shop”

Knitsley Farm Shop Cafe and Granary Cafe
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Consett
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A cosy and inviting Cafe/Restaurant adjacent to a wonderful farm shop, situated on a working farm along a private drive. Beautiful courtyard exterior with external dining in pleasant weather. Full waitress service by our warm and friendly staff. All food freshly produced using own and local produce. Fantastic farmhouse breakfast and Sunday lunches (booking recommended for Sunday lunch). Dietary needs catered for. Wheelchair access, baby changing facilities and high chairs/booster seats.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've been here for breakfast a number of times and it's always a treat. The food cannot be faulted and the service has always been spot on. Whilst it may be slightly more expensive than some places, the fact is that you get what you pay for - great quality food. We always have a look around the lovely farm shop during our visits and rarely leave empty handed as there is so much on offer! I can't recommend this place highly enough, it's always a great experience.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had my first visit to Knitsley Farm shop and tearoom and was really impressed. The farm produce looked and tasted wonderful and as we had a 25min wait to eat in the tearoom this gave us time to browse the shop and sample the wares. The range was vast, from beers, wine's, cheeses, jams, cakes,pies, and scones. Also a selection of fresh breads, fruit and vegetables. the meat counter has a vast display of quality locally produced meats all reasonably priced. The food in the tearoom was lovley and good value for money, also staff very pleasant and helpful. We will definitely be returning soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was my first visit and won't be my last . I had quiche and salad not exactly in line with my diet but at least I didn't have chips which were on offer . The quiche was very cheesy and extremely tasty and my friend thoroughly enjoyed her chicken and bacon salad. I want my next visit to be on a sunny day to take advantage of al fresco dining in the courtyard . Lovely surroundings and efficient staff made the visit super .

1  Thank muldoonanne
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Before drafting this review I had a chuckle at the smattering of the poor reviews. Most of which declared they had visited several times and loved it, but then elected to publicly run it down following a single visit where standards had been adjudged to have slipped. Hardly objective or, frankly, helpful to other TA users, summarising everything with what is wrong with TA reviews this past few years. Too many "reviewers" are using this facility as a blunt instrument to snipe back over some isolated, pompous or spurious grievance or to settle some personal score.

Anyway, I shall in this review endeavour to be as objective as I can, hoping that the review will enable others to make an informed choice.

First the shop. Many "farm shops" in England are little more than dressed up roadside vehicles for flogging fruit and veg that have as many air miles on them as have their equivalents in a supermarket and, to be fair, a lot of the fruit and veg in this farm shop does carry its fair share air miles - but not all of it. Taking that aside, the butchers, bakers and dairy side of the shop is different. Here you will get a very good variety of items that are clearly of a high standard. The artisan bread is fresh and appealing, the meat screams quality, the sausages are varied and creative, as are the cheeses (which are not made on site, but many of which are quite local and unusual. There is also a wide selection of deli items, jams, puddings etc. Is it cheap? Not really, but I would describe pricing as competitive and realistic.

Next the cafe. The cafe is quite small, but in dry weather the capacity is swelled considerably by the option of the very pleasant outdoor seating area. The cafe menu is quite small, they don't try to do everything, but what they do is good, honest traditional English mid-day fayre. A couple of soups, a couple of pies, a couple of beef, chicken or pork dishes, hot sandwiches, very substantial salads, scones, cream teas - that sort of thing. Many of the menu items are in the local, traditional style (like corned beef pie and broth). So far as been my experience (and I cook, so I reckon I can tell) my feeling is that the food is all freshly prepared on site. I've seen a couple of reviews that suggest this isn't the case, but I think they are mistaken. Main courses run from about £7 to about £12 (for a sirloin steak). I'd not call that over-priced as portion sizes are good, as is the service. I think the food is served till about 4pm.

If you are a foreigner who, for some bizarre reason, find yourself with time on your hands in the Consett area, and hanker after something that is local and traditional, pop along for a bite to eat. It's also great for a small mid-week treat for us locals. It's also a lovely spot.

2  Thank shaun1967
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Top quality food and service. All freshly made on the premises. Staff are friendly and attentive. prices are good. My favourite is the Ploughman's - the home made pork pie is really nice. The only negative is that because it is so popular waiting time at lunchtimes can be a nightmare. It is probably best to go late afternoon.

1  Thank Heath08