“Great food for fair prices”
Review of The Smelter Arms - CLOSED

The Smelter Arms
Price range: US$7 - US$56
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were at our last evening stop of the Coast to Coast and the local B&B recommend this pub. He food was hearty and the portions were large, the staff were very friendly however overworked and we were seated at a table that was still dirty from the previous customers with no cutlery.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had an excellent lunch here today. Steak pie was delicious, absolutely stuffed full of tender steak and piping hot gravy with a huge selection of perfectly cooked veg and new potatoes. I also stole some of my family's chips for 'research purposes' and they were lovely too.

There is a separate Lunch menu but we chose from the main menu which I thought was very reasonably priced.

My son said he enjoyed his chicken in a creamy sauce and my daughter enjoyed her burger although she was defeated by the size of it. Excellent value for money.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was ina group of 14 c2c riders when we arrived here at 7.45 pm on Saturday night. First let me say the staff could not have been more helpful providing ice packs for injuries, some milk for us to take back to our hostel and taking a huge food order efficiently. The meal came with us all served together, big portions and well complimented by the group. The chef came out to see if we were all happy - always a big plus point for me!
It is a little to far from our Tyneside home for us to be regulars but I thoroughly recommend the Smelters to anyone looking for value, hospitality and good pub grub in the Consett area.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Excellent meal and very reasonable. None of the group could eat everything.
Excellent service with pleasant staff

1  Thank Rippers9
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Visited on Good Friday with my husband who I had to persuade to go as he wasn't sure. We has the special meal £25.00 for two, we both had homemade broth for a starter which was delicious and the bread that came with it was lovely as well For mains we both had the sirloin steaks mine rare and my husbands medium, I am really picky about how my steak is cooked and would send it back if it was over cooked but it was spot on. We both enjoyed the meal which came with chips and veg and we both had a sauce on the side. Can't comment on the sweet - we were so full after the mains that we couldn't eat anything else. Excellent service from Rhys and his staff - husband enjoyed his so much wanted to go back again the next day.

1  Thank ajax55