“What do you remember most about an hotel?”

St Elizabeth's House
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Plympton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The first time I came to St Elizabeth's House, my hostess insisted that before I did anything else I had to visit the Ladies. Strange I thought but when I entered the room I was amazed. It was fascinating, very modern and totally different! But that is not all this stylish hotel offers. It has an air of elegance, a charming garden, quietly but perfectly furnished rooms and is just a very welcoming place. The only room I did not like especially was the dining room. It seemed to lack atmosphere but the food definitely was excellent and the service very pleasant. A lot of weddings take place here and I can well understand why. Situated in a quiet spot on the outskirts of the busy city it is restful, peaceful and a great place to be.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 August 2014

After my partners daughter married here two years ago we had no doubt where to choose for our special day. There is not a thing that could be improved. Everyone made us feel special, from the first day we walked through the door, when Theresa recognised us from 2 years ago and made us feel so welcome, to the actual wedding day, nothing was too much trouble for Elena, Sarah and the rest of the family and staff, to make our day perfect. St.Elizabeths House exudes style, charisma and warmth, which would not be possible without the people who run it, they have it down to a fine art. We had an amazing day with this being an ideal place for an intimate wedding and quality dining experience in a peaceful location with well kept, pretty gardens and outside seating area. Many places for photos, including a bridge, stone seat, large trees, pergoda, outside spiral staircase for the confetti shot, chaise longue etc. The bedrooms whether deluxe or standard are fabulous, all our guests, whether local or from away, were full of praise for these and the hotel. The food served was visually impressive, excellently cooked, full of taste, with more than generous portion sizes, fabulous chefs. There is only one chance to get it right for a wedding and that is exactly what happened for us at St.Elizabeths. My husband and I highly recommend this hotel, its proprietor and staff, as we had complete trust that they would always do the very best for us and when you are planning your wedding that is what you need. We will certainly be returning for coffee, lunch, dinner and/or a stay :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

So after leaving Plymouth 10 years ago it was not going to be easy to find a wedding venue here as I didn't really know the area, St Elizabeth's house the final place we visited when looking for a venue, when we went in I knew it was the place!
From the moment I got there I was created by Elenas (the wedding coordinator's) mum, she was without doubt the most helpful and polite woman if met all day and instantly got the best feeling of family run and they truly care about making your wedding day perfect!
When I met Elena she was the same nothing was too much trouble. As we had so many guests we needed the marquee Elena helped us find a fab company hine marquees and that was left to them. Throughout the build up I was constantly in touch with Elena over email as I didn't live local. She have me so much advice about stuff for the day and anything I asked she replied straight away with helpful answers and solutions! They were so accommodating with changing the menu around it was no effort at all.
Leading upto the day I felt 110% happy Elena and all her staff were going to make the day perfect!
From start to finish they were efficient, kind and so attentive to our guests needs. We had family from Canada come over for our big day and they couldn't get over the place, staff and location a pure Gem!!
We would like to say a massive Thankyou so much to all of the staff for making our day perfect and being so helpful, the rooms may seem pricey but my god they are worth it! We didn't do a sample menu before and to be honest it made no difference the chefs down at St Elizabeth's are out of this world, presentation and service is fantastic!
Could not recommend this place anymore if I tried the family run business is so close it makes the whole process a breeze!
Best location I visited by a million miles!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I got married at St Elizabeth's House in June 2014. We chose this venue as the hotel is beautiful and set within wonderful grounds. The attention to detail is second to none and yet the hotel maintains a very relaxed atmosphere. When we first visited St Elizabeth's, Elena (wedding co-ordinator) was informative and professional but not pushy. She and her team remained very helpful throughout the planning of our special day and answered all our questions and queries promptly. On the day itself, we had wonderful weather all day. The hotel looked beautiful and every single member of staff looked after us so well. They were friendly and approachable but not at all intrusive. I have to say I was still quite nervous when the meal was served so I didn't eat a great deal but what I did eat was lovely and it was presented beautifully. I know our guests were very impressed and there were some serious foodies among them! The service given was excellent throughout the entire day and the following morning until we left. So many of our guests have told us the same. The only negative was minor but if addressed would make a difference; one of the sinks(and there are only two!) in the communal toilets was out of order and had been for at least a week. Having said that we had an amazing day and would definitely recommend the venue to anyone planning a wedding or other special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at the beautiful St Elizabeth house for two nights while we were at a family wedding being held there. The hotel is set in some lovely grounds and is beautifully decorated inside. We stayed I'm the Alexander Buller Room which is one of the upgraded rooms. The room was nice standard decoration not much to shout about. We had to keep things stowed in our suitcase though as there were now chest of draws to put clothes in only a small wardrobe with a few hangers in. The bathroom was very large about the same size as the room and very modern. There were a few issue in the bathrooms the toilet seat was broken so had to make sure didn't fall off the loo and also when we had a shower because it was a wet room the water went all over the barroom floor causing it to be very very slippery to the point had to hold on to things so didn't slip and fall so be careful. The service in the hotel was excellent couldn't do enough for us only time had a problem was when we tried to order room service tried ringing reception 3 times before giving up on the idea.
Overall beautiful hotel set in an great location just need a few tweaks to make it great.

Room Tip: Check whether there is a wedding on and if so try and get a room near the front cause you will strug...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chelsey-Elizabeth
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having decided to throw a 'surprise' retirement gathering for my parents we chose St Elizabeth Hotel. The hotel was lovely and the grounds surrounding it are beautiful. Due to the nice weather we had, we were able to sit outside taking this all in, whilst waiting for the parents to arrive!
After they had got over their initial shock (happy tears!) the staff brought out trays of Bucks Fizz and Pimms.
About an hour later we were called to say the 'buffet' was ready in the Beatrice Room. Walking into the room even I was shocked (and we had organised it!) There were 3 tables set up beautifully (pretty much how you would find it at a wedding!) and the food that was brought out was just amazing! A wide array of foods to cater for all, including 3 children and a baby! Again the parents, along with many of the guests were surprised by the level of detail and effort that had been put in by the staff to ensure it was an evening to remember!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed one night, visiting relation in Mt Gould Hospital.
Very welcoming and staff were unbelievably helpful, polite, friendly. My only gripe in that arena was that almost everything I said to the staff met with the bog-standard "No problem" ! Even when I was telling them about a problem. If I ran an up-market hotel, I'd forbid that brainless response.
Now that's off my chest...beautiful large, partly wooded gardens, lovely comfortable bar/lounge and terrace in the sun. Dining room delightful and the food divine - reasonable prices, too. And no music in restaurant - bliss...
It is tucked away in the small town of Plympton and a haven of peace.
No aircon in rooms - was a little hot so had to sleep with windows wide open. My room (Longbrook) was on the road side, so a little traffic noise, but not into the late hours - acceptable. The previous week, my wife stayed and her room (Christopher Wren) was quiet and overlooked the gardens.
I should recommend it without hesitation.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plympton
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
#4 of 21 in Plymouth
Jurys Inn Plymouth
Jurys Inn Plymouth
#8 of 21 in Plymouth

Been to St Elizabeth's House? Share your experiences!