“Okish hotel for quick stay, Awful reception staff”

Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bramhope
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were staying at this hotel last weekend, When there we were guests of a wedding. On arriving to hotel we were met with a rude and unhelpful memmber of staff working the reception desk. She was tall with dark hair middle aged. Was like asking her for any help was too much for her, Got the impression she would have been happy to stand all day filing her nails then helping customers. We then decided to head into Leeds centre and plenty of shops and food places to avail off. Got a taxi back to the hotel just under £20 which isn't too bad. We decided to eat in the bar and the food was average, Do have the say the guys working the bar were very helpful and polite, Food is moderate price.

The next day was the wedding and as we left hotel for church part was ahrdly anyone around if you had any queries. The tables in reception/waiting area were covered with glasses and dirty dishes from night before. We arrived back after church to attend reception of wedding. The drinks waiting on arrival were lovely and the sitting area to wait till dinner was comfy and clean. All the girls serving the dinner were nice and polite and well mannered so no complaints. Food was nice and the set up of the room was nice too. We then cleared the room so they could get ready for evening reception. Was done quite quickly but still had wait around. The staff working the bar were polite and the drinks were good price as they had a happy hour or drink deals on.

On the following day we went up for breakfast in restaurant. The food was done as a buffet and was the usual fry stuff. They also had cereal, toast and fruit. All the buffet fry food was soggy as it had been sitting for god knows how long. That afternoon we spent relaxing in hotel and used the vending machines to starve off hunger pangs, Again staff or vender machine workers mustn't call often as alot of the chocolate was month or two out of date. We ate in the bar again for evening meal. Again food was nice enough but nothing special. We had nipped out and on arrival back to hotel was faced with Miss unfriendly, No smile, no welcome of guests back, was fixing make up or looking at herself and when asked a question she mumbled her answer and was not forthcoming in helping us and to make us more comfy.

All in all hotel is ok but maybe staff training on customer service, cleanliness, overall how to be well mannered wouldn't go a miss. Or perhaps some people have worked too long and no longer strive to have good customer service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank silverlinings2014
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Simon Powell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in last night at 11pm. Pubes on the bathroom floor. Dead fly on childs pillow and mouldy spoon on the chair under the desk. We checked out as soon as we could the next morning. Nice car park surrounded by trees best bit about the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank JR_Windows

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying in the city and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight prior to flying from Leeds Bradford and left the car there whilst we were away. Hotel rooms are very tired. The restaurant menu was very limited and the restaurant very full with a coach trip that was staying the night. Dined from the bar menu and the steak was surprisingly good. Not enough bar staff on to cater for the coach party and other guests when they descended almost on mass. The above said, it was good value for money for a room and parking. Only 10 mins from the airport and £12 per person return by taxi payable to the hotel. Would stay again if flying from Leeds Bradford again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank and49
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Despite the website descriptions, this is definitely a transit hotel- the "3 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds" is a huge car park, with vehicles parked on the grass and in any available space.
The room decor would no doubt have been the height of chic in 1964 (about when the TV was made?), but is in desperate need of a revite. The TV 'stand' was gouged and chipped, the grouting in the bathroom looked as if it had been done with the lights turned off.
Breakfast buffet on first morning was reasonable, but tiny side plates did not encourage hearty breakfasts. Had I not had dinner in the same room that evening, I would have assumed the breakfast buffet had been left out, since next day there was no ham, no pastries, no croissants, and only a few slices of cheese curling at the edges. I asked the duty manager if they had a problem with the suppliers- but answer came there none.
As part of a group, our coffee and tea was served in large vacuum flasks- the coffee neither smelled or tasted like coffee and the tea was not much better.
It was cheap- but had I paid anything like an hotel going rate for this quality of room or food I would have been outraged.
If you want somewhere to dump the car while you fly off on holiday (if you can find a space), this hotel is for you. Otherwise I couldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Room adequate, stain on valance sheet, desk lamp not working, filthy windows, tired decor. Pre booked meal very disappointing, main course all choices looked unappealing and the ones we had turned out to be so, veg consisted of (plastic beans) and tasteless cauliflower, everything under heat lamps and dried out. Desert again disappointing small portions of cheese cake etc, chefs choice of hot desert was a dried out offering of current sponge and no custard.The good points were it was relatively inexpensive and the staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I only stayed one night and couldn't really fault it. I was with 3 friends and all of us found it good value for money. I did need to ask for extra coffee but this was responded to extremely quickly. My only 'moan' is that I would have preferred larger plates at breakfast as there were only side plates. I was in a rush so not sure if they might have been bringing some out, but basically spread a cooked breakfast over 3 plates and I'm not a big eater !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The wedding service here was very good, everything went to plan just as it should. The wedding catering was excellent.
We stayed here for one night for the wedding but it is not a hotel I would choose for a normal stay, the standard was no better than a Premier Inn which would be much cheaper when booked 3 months in advance as we did here. The hotel had 4 coach parties all arrive at around the same time and getting a meal in the restaurant was impossible, we had to make do with a bar snack! At breakfast in the morning most of the tables were reserved for the coach parties.
The car park at this hotel is also used to long term parking for guests travelling from the airport, cars are parked in every possible place available including on the grass outside the guest rooms. Guests trying to find a parking space were having a real problem and many had to double park.
Two issues at this hotel I found annoying:
1, The reservations phone number is an 0871 number, I had to call 3 times and each time was hanging on for around 15 minutes so ended up with call costs on my phone bill that was just profit for them! (I object to paying a premium phone call to spend money!)
2. They tried to charge me a fee for using a debit card to pay for my room, I have never paid this at any other hotel and I am sure it is actually illegal. I can understand a charge for credit cards as they do have to pay a fee.
Because of the 2 points above I would never stay at a Britannia Hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Simon Powell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bramhope
Mercure Leeds Parkway
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Travelodge Leeds Bradford Airport
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport? Share your experiences!