“Food was average” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fox & Hounds
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Bramhope
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Fox & Hounds is a welcoming village pub, built in 1728. Home cooked food is served 11.30Am-8.15Pm Mon -Sat & 11.30Am-6.45Pm Sun. There is a lovely beer garden at the rear of the pub. Quiz night is each Tuesday evening. The Loft can be found at the rear of the property and this is open at 10am Mon-Sat from & 11am on Sun (from 1st May - 30th September), otherwise it is 11.00Am Mon - Sat & 12pm Sundays serving a selection of hot drinks , cakes etc.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Food was average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Although in a cosy village setting. We had to wait for our drinks whilst two of the staff communicated by shouting to each other from the kitchen. Doesn't give the best first impression. My dads scampi was undercooked, to the point where it was soggy. Although my steak and black sheep ale pie was tasty, the extra gravy given was instant, tasted like bisto. The mash was reheated, and a bit congealed, and the veg was overcooked. My mum tried two different glasses of the white wine, and both didn't really taste of anything.

Expected more from the exterior, probably wouldn't go there again.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank HarrE22

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Good Lnuch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Popped in at lunch time as myself and my sister where having a trip down memory Lane having lived in Bramhope yonks ago!! We were met at the bar by a friendly lady who we had a bit of fun with, ordered our lunch small size scampi and chips peas which was plenty for a lunch, I chose the tuna jacket potatoes and a couple of drinks came to £15 which we thought was pretty good value and enjoyable.

• Visited June 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband & I went to the Fox for Sunday lunch this week and we were very glad we did. Not being massive eaters we opted for the smaller sized Sunday Lunch which was very good indeed. Good quality food served exactly as we like it with warm plates and the vegetables and gravy served on the side. The roast spuds went down well and all in all the meal was good value for money, you can't get better. Thanks to Sybil for her attentive service and to the chef who gave me a day off. Well done Fox & Hounds.

• Visited May 2014
Tenerife, Spain
“Beware the Yorkshire Pudding !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had lunch in the Loft Saturday and two of us ordered the Yorkshire Pudding filled with Black Sheep gravy and sausages. Whilst the sausages and gravy were plentiful the pudding was well done and cold so we asked the waitress to send them back and they returned a minute or two later much hotter but much more burnt. We mentioned this to the lady who brought them up from the pub downstairs and her words were "they are home made". Those puddings had been in the oven far too long.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank JanWestYorkshire
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Pricey and Empty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

You'd expect 1pm on a wet Tuesday lunchtime in January to be fairly quiet, even at this well known pub. So to find when we walked in we had the place completely to ourselves except for the staff was quite a surprise.

I took my Mum after a shopping expedition. She was on crutches following an operation and had to be careful on the slippery cobbles outside, so it was lovely that the chef himself opened the door for us and we made our way to a corner seat.

I was hoping for a real fire, but had to make do with an empty fireplace (save for some fairy lights in the grate).

Mum went for Rabbit Pie, mash and veg and I chose the Rogun Josh with boiled rice and Nan bread, both from the specials menu which strangely didn't show any prices. Always a warning sign I find.

Mum thought her pie was tasty and it was nice to see rabbit on the menu as it's quite rare these days, possibly due to the cost of it according to the landlady who served us. She asked me how my curry had been and I told her it was good but could have been spicier, to which she agreed. It was nice to be asked my opinion.

To wash it down Mum had an orange juice and I had a half of Leeds Pale Ale which was well kept and refreshing.

Our single course was £9.70 each and the bill came to £25.70. A bit steep and possibly why the place was empty?

A few miles down the road in Otley, The Rose and Crown on Bondgate would have been busier and cheaper with bigger portions.

I popped my head into The Loft Bar upstairs which is gaining a reputation as a good coffee/meeting location with its comfy sofas and warm, contemporary design. Made a mental note to return here.

Pub closures continue at an alarming rate in the UK and publicans are finding consistently good food well priced is often the only way to keep the tills ringing. The Fox and Hounds is part of the Punch Taverns group and is a famous Inn locally. I hope will always be there - but longevity is no guaranteed of survival.

• Visited January 2014