“Exceeded my expectations - thanks”
Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We took advantage of a Groupon offer. Was a little worried about some reviews on this site but the price was really attractive and Robert assured us that everything would be OK. Vacancies were available for Easter so we booked for 2 nights. Our satnav easily found the location. Really quiet, off road with large garden. Furnishings average but lots of hot water, clean white towels, flat screeen TV, comfy bed with crisp white bedding and clean, warm room overlooking the garden. We couldn't ask for more at this price. It was unbeatable value.
Fresh fruit and real orange juice for breakfast with cooked vegetarian was perfect for me and my husband enjoyed traditional cooked food.
We found this hotel ideally placed for exploring the area, particularly York and Harrogate. Robert is a treasure and really tries to make sure that all guests are happy. This makes a pleasant change nowadays. Pat Lam

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Groupon weekend so all based on price we paid ( 2 x B & B for 2 nights £79 inclusive)
Had it not been for the Sat Nav we would probably still be looking for the Alder Hotel. It is tucked away from main roads at the end of a short cobbled lane - but we did find it and very pleased we were too.

On arrival at reception we were asked for our names and straight away (Robert) was excited at about how pleased he was for us to have arrived as he had a message for us from my daughter. She had phoned ahead of us and paid for a meal and a drink each for us when it suited us. We had already planned to eat there on our first night, have a good mooch around the area not rush back for the second night meal - we would eat as and when. We told Robert we would like to eat that evening and he gave us a menu.

He then handed us our key (room 18) gave us (very simple) directions all the time being very friendly and chatty.

Our room was of basic size and design of most hotels these days with en suite.
The room smelt beautifully clean, the bed was of a decent size (Queen) and pleasantly dressed.
There was an adequate wardrobe, dressing table and case stand with drawers and storage under, Tea and coffee making facilities, 2 chairs and a new 32" wall mounted TV. All very nice :)

Then we looked closer and noticed that the room (although clean) looked 'decor tired'.
Into the bathroom and 'WOW!!!' All new, modern grey, white and chrome with a Jacuzzi bath and shower over. White and mirrored ceiling with sunken lights......... Such a contrast to the bedroom. The view from our window made it difficult to believe we were in the middle of a built up area. The gardens 'simply' lovely.

Priorities........ Watched Emmerdale laid on the oh so comfy bed, then went down for food. Robert invited us into the bar and apologised immediately that our food would be a while as everything was cooked from fresh. He was again very friendly and told us of some of the history of the old part of the hotel.
We were asked if we would like to eat in the bar or the dining room - we opted for the dining room. A little table for 2. Food arrived and not only did it look very appetising it was totally delicious. We had rump steak with traditional mushrooms, onion rings, tomato, fresh vegetables and proper, home made chunky chips ...... spot on:)
Him indoors had lamb rump, mustard mash, fresh vegetables and red wine ju - we shared and were both well chuffed. Cooked to perfection, well portioned and all fresh.

We then decided we would return for food again on Saturday - we wanted more :)

Brilliant night's sleep. Room was cosy warm as opposed to the cold outside and all was well.

The following morning other half was up and about long before I surfaced (He's an early bird I am a night owl) he had been exploring, and chatting to staff. They told him that the hotel was under new ownership / management and that the rooms were being completed on at a time. He then arranged with them for me to have my breakfast in our room. He took my order and spoke directly with the chef. It was all cooked from fresh and was again - delicious.

Before we went out for the day I spoke to reception (Jane) and she was absolutely lovely. We both agreed that we felt like we were at home (comfortable) but with no chores to do.
Had a lovely day out and looking forward to our evening meal. When we got back I noticed we had had room service. Bin emptied, Bed tidied (I did make it before we went out) glasses cleared, clean tea cups and fresh bathroom (plastic) cups.

We (had to) called to the bar for a drink before our evening meal and the new owner / manager served us with our drinks - once again, so friendly. He explained to us his plans for the future of the hotel. He agreed it was tired. We told him we had enjoyed our stay as the staff, the food and atmosphere was perfect.
Evening meal was every bit as lovely as the previous night. Braised steak and Cumberland sausage - with fresh mash and vegetables and because the other half had complimented my chips the evening before - chef gave him a portion of those too :)

Slept like logs again.

I saw no evidence of anything untoward.

It's a bit of a joke with us that we do the 'dust on top of the door' finger test when we stay away from home. It took him indoors until 830 am after our second night to find some on top of a random picture high up on the stairway (him indoors is 6'2") he was well chuffed because that meant he could stop looking (He had searched hidden alcoves, high porch ledges, under tables all to no avail) He then had a giggle with the staff about his quest and was assured the cleaner would be told about it)

All in all - we enjoyed our time at the Alder Hotel. We do generally only go away on bargain offers but we are well travelled. We never once felt in the way or intimidated by the staff. We felt welcome wanted and comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble, We felt like we were their personal guests.

To those who gave bad reviews - we're you maybe having a bad day?

If Alder House Hotel comes up on Groupon again - count us in :)

Maz and Him indoors ;)

PS - I got breakfast in bed on my second morning too :)

Room Tip: Room 18 has the Jacuzzi :) I agree with earlier reviewer - Relax, enjoy and don't be a grump ;)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mudga
ALDERHOUSEHOTEL, General Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a positive review as we value customer feedback greatly, I am glad you had a great stay with us and would like to offer you a £10 voucher to use in the bar/restaurant on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor i was very wary of staying at this hotel, however i was pleasantly surprised. yes i believe the pictures and the website are slightly misleading, but i do not expect much from a hotel. a comfy bed, nice cooked breakfast, clean rooms, friendly staff and peace and quiet is what i look for and this hotel had all of this. i stayed for 2nights with my girlfriend on a groupon deal. much was made about the "residents" in other reviews but we only saw two of them and they kept themselves to themselves. all in all a very pleasant stay :)

Room Tip: we had room 23, upstairs in the corner overlooking the back garden
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarmstrong86
ALDERHOUSEHOTEL, Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Oh dear.. Just don't.

Our twin room was dreary and tired, and also hadn't been properly cleaned - we found rubbish in the drawers. The cleaning during the day was also very random - the tea/coffee and dirty mugs were replaced, but the plastic glasses were not, the bed wasn't touched and no fresh towels provided.

As well as the lacklustre state of the room, the fire alarm also went off frequently (about 8 times during our stay - and we didn't even spend that much time in the hotel) The first time was in the middle of the night, and then an hour later - just as we had managed to get back to sleep! The other times were in the early evening, when it went off almost constantly for about 20 minutes. The staff were unclear about what had caused it - we were told both people smoking and some kind of malfunction? Certain staff members seemed to think it was a big joke.

Our second problem was with the shower, which was woefully inadequate - a limp stream, with water only coming out of a tiny number of the holes in the shower head. We immediately went to speak to reception, but they were incredulous, couldn't understand why this was unsatisfactory and basically made it clear that they felt this was an acceptable standard. The second morning the shower was also cold. We also had to complain about the over-mirror light not working in the bathroom. When the staff member came to try to put in a new bulb (which he couldn't do), they also realised that the main light (which we hadn't noticed, assuming that there was only an over-mirror one) was also not working. Their response was awkward, as they seemed to be implying how stupid it was that previous guests hadn't pointed this out - surely it is the HOTEL'S responsibility for checking and maintaining its facilities?!?

As others have noted, Alder House also seems to be used as emergency housing for the homeless. Obviously I have no idea what the situation is with this and can't comment in that respect, but as a guest it was very disconcerting. There was an incident in the breakfast room when staff had to come an inform one gentleman that he wasn't allowed to eat in there, and had to return to his room with his food; at night there was a great deal of disruption in the early hours of the morning, to the extent that we became concerned enough to check that our door was secure. I really feel that this aspect of the hotel should be made clear in advance - it took us completely by surprise, and left us feeling very uncomfortable.

All in all, it's just not worth it. If you can get an offer and can manage your expectations accordingly, go ahead, but definitely not otherwise. If we'd been paying full price, we would have left. The Alder House Hotel portrayed on the website is totally different from the real thing.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alice W
ALDERHOUSEHOTEL, Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Further to your recent review i apologise about your experiences at the Alder House Hotel.
Firstly i understand some of our rooms are a bit outdated which i cannot do anything about without a budget hence the groupon deal however there is no excuse for uncleanliness. We have appointed a new head houskeeper to target this issue as the last head was seriously letting us down and hopefully we should see an improvement now.
The fire alarm went off due to some guests smoking in one of the rooms and removing the detector, which caused the alarm to repetedly go off. The responsible guests have been banned from staying with us in the future.
We have a night porter on duty 24 hrs and cctv recording throughout the remises as our guests safety and comfort is of paramount importance to us.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Sadly this hotel could be lovely but it didn't live up to the marketing on its website. Our room was clean but the furnishings were tired and need replacing. Shortly after getting into the shower the water stopped, but returned after five minutes only to stop again, not a pleasant experience. When you approach the hotel entrance there are cigarette ends everywhere, tin cans in the flower beds and just uncared for. Yes there are people being housed there by the local authority, and I accept that there is obviously a need for this but you should be able to enjoy the facilities of the hotel without being harassed by other guests. I think it is overpriced and payment was taken on booking even though it is only supposed to be a deposit, as I would have found alternative accomodation if I hadnt already paid. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone, its noisy, grubby in places and has no redeeming features.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jlb757

I agree this hotel could be and will be lovely as we have a lot of great plans for this place, the issue with the hot water was due to a faulty pump on the hot water circuit, subsequently this has been fixed.

Whilst we do have smoking bins outside the hotel people seem to keep missing them hence the cigarette ends, we do have a groundman and his working days have been increased. we have recently had all the hotel exteriors jet washed and i will post some pics shortly.

Our policy along with most hotels is payment at the time of booking.

We are splanning refurbishment works for this hotel shortly.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with a friend using a groupon voucher. Arrival was great. Good parking, help with bags. Booked an executive room. Don't know why they didn't give us a twin room, but hey. I'm not sure what the normal rooms look like if this was an exec one. First went into room 20. A bit dark and something fell off the wall in the bathroom so he immediately moved us to 19. My friend checked the bathroom and said it was better (less mould) than room 20. It was a lighter room with lovely view over garden. Basic and a bit tired. Only had one set of towels in room, and one pillow each. Asked for another pillow each and lady cleaning thought we were saying there were none in there. She seemed amazed we'd like more than one pillow. The radiator was broken so that night was unbearable. We had to open the window which meant we were frozen in the morning. They fixed it promptly when we asked next morning. (Very good) Left only hand towels and floor towel in bath to be replaced, bed was sort of pulled straight, new plastic cups in bathroom and bin emptied towels still in bath and no new ones. (A basic concept when staying in hotels, replaced towels when needed! And dare I say.....make bed?).
Next day the bed wasn't made at all!!! But used towels were taken, not replaced. we requested and they came promptly.
The food at this hotel is OUTSTANDING. had two evening meals and only one steak was slightly overlooked, but the vegetables and sauces showed this is a chef who can cook. Breakfast too was very good, apart from on last morning (chef's day off) when manager cooked. He did a good job but not as good as days before.
Quite a few of guests/residents were there as long term and placed by housing authority. I think that is why the cleaning of room is not up to scratch, but I'd suggest they review how they treat other guests. It's not much to ask for a made up room when you return from a day out. Friendliness and helpfulness is brilliant. Can't fault. If they were able to really spruce up the rooms, NOT market executive rooms, and keep hold of the chef then it would be able to live up to name of 'The Pride of Batley'.

Room Tip: Didn't see old part, perhaps they are nicer than the new build area.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Duchessvdh
ALDERHOUSEHOTEL, General Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I apologise about the grout being mouldy and as a result we are having the grout replaced. We have a new head housekeeper as mentioned in other reviews and we should not have issues with room servicing.

As a gesture of good will I would like to offer you a £10 voucher to use in the bar/restaurant on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

My party and I stayed at this hotel during the summer and it was a horrible experience! We stayed for three nights, but regret the fact that we didn't leave upon arrival. My friend and I shared a room, which appeared to be located upstairs, with the staff members. The staff living on our floor were constantly slamming doors, fighting and yelling at all hours of the night. The hallway was filled with smoke and had a FUNNY smell. I actually felt very scared while in my room. The rooms were filthy, bathroom disgusting, water undrinkable, shower would randomly turn off for as long as 10 minutes, and the breakfast hardly edible. I could say so much more, but will spare you the details.

I have stayed in hostels that were far better than Alder House and for only a small fraction of the price. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! Find another place to stay. Hopefully this place will be graced with new owners who will actually take the time and dedicate money to keep it in good shape.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms. Avoid the hotel. Don't go near it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Marie G

I have only taken over the running of this hotel In February 2013 thus i cannot comment on your stay last summer, my only question is why wait 6 months to post a review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Healds Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Liversedge
Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Village Hotel Leeds South

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!