“Friendly, welcoming and homely”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming and homely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stayed at the hotel through a wowcher offer, just for a little trip away from home. After seeing the bad reviews, but taking into account the managers responses we thought it was still going to be worth a try - and it was!
Lovely gentleman greeted us upon arrival, advised on where we could eat and what we could do with our free evening. He even offered to help with our bags!
The room was clean with a lovely view over the garden and decent bathroom. It was a bit noisy - creaky floorboards and noisy neighbours - but nothing that couldn't be ignored.
In the morning, breakfast was served by the same gentleman, who seemed genuinely interested in how we were finding our stay and brought us a lovely breakfast. He signed us out and we left feeling very well looked after and happy with the stay.
With regards to previous reviews mentioning the property being "tired", I would suggest the "homely" and though there is room for improvement decor-wise, I can honestly say I hardly noticed as it was far outshone by the welcoming and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abrighterbeat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Birmingham, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot through work, so I have seen my fair share of hotels. However this one wines best if the worst, by far. It was booked by my business for dinner bed and breakfast, I arrived late afternoon, and found it located right in the middle of a residential estate. Odd.
On arrival the outside looked dated, and in need of refurbishment. 2 people on reception who politely ignored me as I said hello, obviously the computer was way more important, not to mention the conversation about previous girlfriends. Not interested. Finally got my room key and went upstairs, listening to every single floorboard creak as I went. A sound I would become oh so familiar with by the end of my stay. The room itself was a good size, however the cleanliness was appalling, the bathroom was a disgrace, with various metal parts of broken towel rails sticking out, the grout was black with mould in parts, and the water in the tap was ' not drinking water' ( is this normal?)
The rest of my review is in the same vein and I will not bore you with it, needless to say cloudy lager that has a hint of cider to it, garlic and cheese mushrooms served on half a toasted burger bun, only me in the small restaurant (didn't get the memo!)
My favourite part after grinning and bearing it, was getting up this morning, courtesy of the alarm clock creaky floorboards of the man next door, to find the shower dribbles and I mean dribbles. Not sufficient amounts to wash my hands let alone anything else. Needless to say I wasn't going to stay for breakfast, but would air my concerns on my checkout. Which I tried to do but, with a shrug shoulder response, and 'bear with me a minute' I duly took my leave never to return.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Aulty

Travellers are raving about these Batley hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed here for a nights break, as close to Leeds and Bradford to visit attractions. Found staff extremely helpful and friendly. Room was spotless, stayed in the nightingale suite, lovely and romantic. Breakfast was delicious. No complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank LIsaBallantyne
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We found that this hotel stay started with a smile and ended with a smile.
The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble.
The evening meal was memorable and all compliments to the Chef.
The hotel could do with a little TLC in areas and the new Manager is making
inroads in this direction.
Looking forward to returning in June.
P&P Wallace. 30/04/2013

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on booking
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philpam
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We received a KGB Voucher for a two night break at this hotel as a gift from work colleagues following my husband's retirement. We were warmly greeted on our first night by a gentleman who checked us in. We were late getting to the hotel due to heavy traffic on a Friday evening. Our room was clean and tidy with pleasant views overlooking the grounds. The room was warm and the bed was very comfortable. Nice bathroom and excellent shower. As we had taken our dog with us, we did not want to leave her alone in the room whilst we ate in the restaurant. The gentleman on reception suggested we ate in our room and he very kindly offered to bring up the food. The food was excellent. Unfortunately we did not sleep well owing to noise from other room/s. Breakfast the next morning was excellent and the lady on reception was very friendly and helpful. She was still working later that evening when we ate in the restaurant and again the level of service and the food were very good. Unfortunately, we again had a disturbed night with noise from other rooms. On this occasion, it was chanting and strange singing and very loud voices in a foreign tongue! There was also an unpleasant aroma - stronger than tobacco smoke, which lingered the following morning in the corridors. All in all the food, the ameneties and the level of service from the staff was excellent. Unfortunately, it seems that some of its Clientele let it down.

Room Tip: Room 19 was good, with nice views of hotel's grounds
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynda H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was very worred about visiting this hotel after reading some of the reviews, I need not have worried. Myself and husband had a very pleasant 2 day break there. We came up to visit friends and the Bronte house. The hotel is in need of updating no dought about it, BUT, the room WAS clean, the BREAKFAST was superb, plenty to eat and drink ,we also had main meal in restaurant on the first night, and this was very nice, the hotel staff WERE very friendly and very helpful. So Yes we had a pleasent stay there, ideal if you are up for visiting friends and need a place to stay, Bately itself is just a normal working town, not as we thought a village, but go further afield and the countryside is lovely, Bronte country is worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColleenRBirmingham
ALDERHOUSEHOTEL, Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Many thanks for your kind response i have recently taken over the hotel and glad you really enjoyed it i hope you stay with us again soon
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We took advantage of a Groupon offer. Was a little worried about some reviews on this site but the price was really attractive and Robert assured us that everything would be OK. Vacancies were available for Easter so we booked for 2 nights. Our satnav easily found the location. Really quiet, off road with large garden. Furnishings average but lots of hot water, clean white towels, flat screeen TV, comfy bed with crisp white bedding and clean, warm room overlooking the garden. We couldn't ask for more at this price. It was unbeatable value.
Fresh fruit and real orange juice for breakfast with cooked vegetarian was perfect for me and my husband enjoyed traditional cooked food.
We found this hotel ideally placed for exploring the area, particularly York and Harrogate. Robert is a treasure and really tries to make sure that all guests are happy. This makes a pleasant change nowadays. Pat Lam

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Ramada Wakefield
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Premier Inn Leeds South (Birstall) Hotel
Village Hotel Leeds South

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!