“Poor”
Review of Healey Hotel

Healey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We booked a room for one night,wish we had brought our tent There was thick dust on the phone ,the shower was not working just a dribble ,the carpet was thread ear I places the shower screen was mouldy the pillows where all stained ,no breakfast unless you paid extra.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 481Stay

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My four friends and I booked to go the Bungalow adjoining the hotel for a Friday-Sunday girls weekend. Despite having difficulty receiving a booking confirmation and reading several poor reviews online we were a little anxious to say the least, particularly since one of our party was unaware of the location and events planned for the weekend as it was a birthday surprise.

We booked the bungalow using an online deal voucher. When we finally received an email confirmation of the booking we were slightly put off:

"Hi, I would like to confirm you booking for the Woodland Boutique Cottage for the [date]. I have also sent u an invoice. If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kind regards [name] Receptionist"

Not a great first impression.

Further reading of the reviews on Trip Advisor also filled us with worry, and telephone enquiries to the reception with regards to the contents of the bungalow were met with uncertainty.

However, on arrival at the bungalow on Friday night we were met by Robert, a lovely man who went out of his way to make us feel welcome. He showed us around the bungalow, advised us of local amenities, and even brought the take away from the reception down to the house for us. I cannot sing his praises enough! A fantastic member of staff.

The bungalow itself was what I would describe as 'cheap and cheerful'. It was perfectly equipped for our little getaway, although kitchen utensils were rather sparse. We had been advised that the property had no pans, however we managed to find some hidden in the cupboards. There is everything you might need for a short stay; TV, DVD player, cooker, toaster, kettle, microwave, oven, bath/shower/jacuzzi, cutlery, crockery, towels, cleaning materials etc. We had pretty much everything we needed.

My friend and I stayed in the twin room. The bed was very comfy, and there was plenty of drawer space. It was very easy to heat up the living areas when it was cold, and all the appliances worked efficiently.

The decor was modern, and although I can understand why previous reviews have described the bungalow as unfinished I would not be put off by an exposed pipe here and there. As far as value for money is concerned it was a perfect little retreat. A week would perhaps be a bit much, but for a place to rest your head and have some peace and quiet it is very good quality accommodation.

Room Tip: The bungalow sleeps 6, (1 x double, 1 x twin, 1 x double sofabed) and is surrounded by a lovely gard...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a last minute room on a trip to the area with work and wish I had just booked a travelodge instead.

First, the good point, bed was comfortable and pillows were nice.

Now the bad the points.

Room was tiny, so much so that the sink from the bathroom had to be positioned In the room itself.

Room was freezing. Granted I turned up on an Octobers evening, but after an two hours of the heating being on full it was still cold.

No bath in the room and shower was tiny and dirty. Water was luke at best.

No curtains in the room and blinds were like paper, so woke me up early in the morning.

Windows didn't shut properly,meaning you could feel a constant draft of cold air on your body when sleeping.

The room I was given (room 3) was next to the staff members room, so they were constantly in and out and slamming the door at all hours.

No phone in the room.

The tv was a tiny 14" alba tv, with a really bad picture.

In my view, the hotel looks nothing like the pictures. Granted I paid £34 for the room, but honestly wouldn't pay £10.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank madmatthewd
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Arrived 27/09/13 for 2 nights.
room was lovely & so was bathroom, good comfy bed,
we had a meal in the restaurant the friday night & it was more than good!
my steak was cooked to perfection / chips to die for!
good breakfasts!
staff friendly & helpful.

1  Thank carolhuyton
N H, Front Office Manager at Healey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Reviewed 20 September 2013

As soon as my boyfriend and I stepped into our room we said 'Wow!' - We had paid for a executive room and it was certainly a good choice! We were staying here for its vicinity to the Frontier The room was gorgeous, very trendy.
In our bathroom we had a rain shower (very nice) and a Jacuzzi bath (also very nice!). The large tv.
The bed was very comfortable also, appeared larger than a double bed so plenty of room!

I've got to say the walls are well insulated also, on returning to our room following the show, we could hear our neighbours (on a hen night) very loudly however once we stepped through the door we could not hear a thing!

Overall I would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Try the breakfast
1  Thank deemers

thank you for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We saw the hotel on Groupon and when we rang to book the manager said he would match the offer (two nights bed and breakfast). The decor was sad and tired and the fittings needed attention: from the shonky door handle which felt like it was going to fall off, the toilet that didn't flush, the absence of hot water in the shower to the constant dripping of the cistern in the toilet.
We mentioned some of these things to the manager who was unapologetic but assured us that they would be seen to. They weren't. On leaving staff also tried to charge us for the breakfast that was meant to be part of the deal. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

As the title says. Left me amused but true. Meal I had was pleasant. The room was quant but the ensuite was inadequate toilet didn't flush without taking off the listing flush. the sink leaked and there a few maintenance issue within the main areas of the hotel, needs a makeover. Booed on late rooms as a one off an not again price wise a bit much for room only.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Wentworth1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batley
Heath Cottage Hotel
Ramada Wakefield
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Village Hotel Leeds South
Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!