“Disappointing and a rip off”
Review of Red Lion Pub

Red Lion Pub
Ranked #2 of 4 Betchworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Overpriced, Rude staff when booking. Breakfast consists of a small box of coco pops, a banana, a 'brunch bar' and a cheap carton of orange juice (see photo). At the prices they charge, you should expect a cooked breakfast at the very least, or at least a full continental style breakfast.
Rooms were OK, but that's about it. Again, for the money charged it is certainly overpriced, but it just feels like no effort has been made.
I have not written a negative review until this, but unfortunately this place has forced one out of me.
We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Pub

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We are regular visitors to the Red Lion and have never been disappointed. The burgers and home made beef pies are the best we have ever tasted. In fact the entire menu including specials is always first rate.

I would highly recommend the Red Lion.

F. Inouye

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We are a family of four and we needed a place to stay to visit friends and family in Reigate and Dorking. Having frequented the pub during our teenage years, my husband and I thought we'd like to return! The accommodation is great - very comfortable. The two rooms with the private entrance was perfect. Yes, breakfast is put in your room the night before, a bit strange, but it worked for us as it made for a very relaxed breakfast in bed! My only gripe is that the bathroom was cold which made it not very inviting - cold on the feet! - But the water was piping hot and it didn't take long for the room to heat up with all the steam! We ate in the pub that evening with a group of friends and the food was very good, (perhaps slightly pricey - but still very good). We are hoping to return again very soon.

Room Tip: The two rooms on the ground floor with private entrance are great for families - you can move betwee...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Ate at The Red Lion last night (Tue 30th). We were visiting Reigate and stayed at the De Vere. We discovered The Red Lion a few years ago and vowed to come back when we were in the area again after having superb steaks. We were not let down last night. Simply stunning food. We had warm Camembert with bread to start and Rib Eye Steaks for mains. These have to be the best steaks we've had. Excellent quality and perfectly cooked and with huge chunky chips and a green bean salad. I challenge you to find better steaks anywhere! Staff were very friendly and the pub is great inside. We can't wait to return. Forget anywhere in Reigate / Dorking and head here!
Darren and Leanne, Yorkshire

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank 234Darren
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Being regular visitors to mid-Surrey my partner and I have stayed here a few times. There is a shortage of decent B&Bs in the area but now we've discovered the Red Lion I can't see us going anywhere else.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and quiet - perfect to relax before an evening out and for a good night's sleep afterwards. The simple "breakfast on a tray" is a nice idea that allows a slow start to the day - you don't have to get to a dining room for a set time. If you like a big cooked breakfast pop out to the Jolly Farmers five minutes down the road and you won't be disappointed.

As an added bonus the Red Lion is also great pub for food and drink.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the ground floor by the car park - if you like to have your curtains/windows open...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We had booked over a year in advance for our stay and would have thought a welcoming would be in order. The room was thankfully in a detached building next to the Pub which appeared more suitable to a drinking pub although we did not eat there. So cannot really comment. The room was very basically decorated and for the price of £96 a night I would expect a lot better decor and service. The mirror above the desk was as almost as wide as my face and slightly longer. It was a cheap mirror at that. No hair dryer in the room and the kicker to me was that the "breakfast" was delivered the night before because I guess the managers or owners could not be bothered. I thought not having fresh coffee or tea of food for a breakfast was very mean. In all my traveling which has been extensive, I have never been served a breakfast this way. I would never here and I feel mislead by previous reviews which praise this very second rate place.

Room Tip: See the room before booking and ask about breakfast and fresh coffee or tea. A little thing like fre...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Upon arrival the double room we'd booked some time ago wasn't available so we were 'upgraded' to a twin room - which was very nice, clean, spacious and well appointed. However soundproofing was very poor so we got very little sleep - every time someone used the loo anywhere, had a shower etc. we could have been in there with them. Similarly anyone walking about in the room above. Unfortunately those above us were early risers (this was Saturday morning!) and from 5am (!!) walked about, showered flushed etc. They'd also been up and about during the night. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and food was nice - weren't offered a coffee at the end - staff possibly distracted by a large party outside - and my wife's request for ice cream to be substituted for cream on her dessert was overlooked. The pub is in a lovely setting with a cricket pitch behind and lots of parking space.

Room Tip: Do not have a downstairs room!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
#1 of 1 in Mickleham
The Cranleigh Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate

Been to Red Lion Pub? Share your experiences!