“Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Brockham B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Betchworth
Brockham B&B
Ranked #3 of 4 Betchworth B&B and Inns
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here as our friends were getting married nearby and it was quite a surprise when we found that they'd booked it too before they went off for their honeymoon! The wedding was wonderful and this B&B absolutely perfect. Lovely comfortable room, immaculate, with great views over the village green. Delicious breakfast and very friendly hosts. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jacksonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Brockham B&B is a hidden gem that is now our favorite romantic 'destination' ... I almost didn't write a review because I wanted to keep it for my sweetheart and myself, but decided that it would selfish NOT to share this wonderful retreat with you!

This old country house oozes peacefulness as it nestles in the Surrey countryside. The traditional charm is quietly luxurious: comfy chairs, beds that are better than the one you sleep in at home, elegant yet quaint decor, wonderful carpets upstairs, and real fireplaces downstairs. Everything is clean and in great condition (even though it is probably old), but the overall feel is that it was prepared fresh, especially for your arrival. The attention paid to the smallest details in the renovations is amazing to observe, if you are a DIY person or have ever supervised a contractor you will be highly impressed. The top-floor bathrooms look and function as though they were transported directly from a bespoke traditional-meets-modern specialty showroom, they deserve a review all to themselves.

We stayed in the Blue Room. The bed was like a fluffy yet supportive cloud. A selection of pillows meant that we both got to pick our favorite type. The top sheet/duvet/covers were layered and substantial enough for English Spring weather, but not 'heavy on the legs', a super combination of warmth and comfort. The bedroom view of the lawn and back garden, and over the trees to the church was beautiful. I sat in the armchair for ages watching English blackbirds fly around collecting nesting materials, and foraging for food. I could have sworn I heard a parrot squawk, but this was the UK so I was confused... then I saw a flash of bright green as a long-tailed parakeet zoomed past the house and perched in the branches of a nearby conifer. Later on I saw two green parakeets hanging out at the top of a tall tree near the bird feeders, were they waiting for the local birds to finish eating? Instead of gazing out the window, I could have been watching the television, or taking advantage of the WiFi, or even reading one of the thirty books that had been thoughtfully selected for us and left in the bedroom by our hosts, but the view was so English that I was mesmerized and could only sit and relax. Anyone who knows me will understand that it is a really special place, as it is highly unusual for me to sit still and relax unless I am asleep sitting up :-)

At the time I saw that first parakeet I was sipping tea I had just made using the bedroom kettle - different types of tea bags, convenient instant coffee sachets, real old-fashioned sugar lumps, and a selection of sweet tasty nibbles had been provided, and a jug of fresh milk had been brought up to the room for us. The drink supplies, nibbles and milk were replenished daily: I suggest that you request the chocolate brownie triangles. I promise you, this place is so cosy and comfortable, that you will be reluctant to leave the room except for meals!

Breakfast was superb. Be sure to inquire if the stewed berries will be available: try them with the fresh yogurt, sprinkled with (homemade?) granola. The orange juice was just right, not too tart and not too sweet. The eggs were free-range, from South Lodge's own hens: they are cute, they have fluffy legs and speckled brown bodies (the hens, not the eggs). Bacon was cooked the way only the English know how to do it: perfectly. Not too crispy, not too soggy - it is an AGA thing, you have to eat this type of rasher bacon before you will understand what I mean. 'Real' bread toast was served in a toast rack, with butter, jam (U.S. translation = jelly), and marmalade. Tomatoes were grilled (U.S. translation = broiled), and I think the sausages may have been grilled (broiled) too. The breakfast table was set with a bright table cloth, delicate china, and cute pottery. Daffodils, forsythia, and false raspberry flowers from the garden were set in a vase. We ate looking out onto the back lawn, admiring the potted herb garden and the sea-foam blue Wendy House: a ground floor perspective of our 'bedroom view'.

The breakfast/dining room is an elegant space that leads into the lounge. Both rooms have high ceilings, real fireplaces, and are lined with tall bookshelves. It seems that our hosts are voracious readers: travel books, cookery books, local history books, novels - you name the genre, I'm sure that they will have something enjoyable for you to borrow.

The sweet Joanna and gracious Paul, our hosts at South Lodge, had a knack for sensing from day-to-day whether we wanted company and a chat, or preferred to be left to own thoughts.On arrival we had been welcomed like family friends, rather than guests. The dogs had bounded out to meet us with enthusiasm and the spring flowers in the front garden sparked at us through dappled sunshine. We were quite sad to leave, and we look forward to returning. Think we had better book well in advance!

Room Tip: En-suite bedrooms are available. Some bedrooms have a private bathroom across the hall. There is no...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OneGoodCook
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My partner and I had a great time staying at South Lodge over Valentine's weekend. The house is lovely, inside and out. The hosts welcoming. The bed(s) extremely comfortable. And the breakfasts scrumptious. Thoroughly recommended. We had a 2-for-1 deal via Sawdays/Guardian which made it amazing value for money for us.

Room Tip: Some rooms are en-suite with a shower. Others have access to a bath, which looked very inviting afte...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alanhudson
Burgstetten
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very nice and big room, bathroom also very nice, big, all very clean. Friendly people, also helpful when needed. The breakfast was great with fruits etc. Thank you, we will come again if in the region

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed as a family for two nights in this excellent B&B. We had the top floor to ourselves. The bedrooms are beautiful with very comfortable beds. Our room had the ensuite bathroom, our daughters had exclusive use of the separate larger bathroom on the same floor.
The hosts Paul and Joanna are a lovely couple who also run a catering business so you know the food is going to be good. When we arrived we had some tea in the garden with freshly made baking and home made lemonade for my daughters. Yummm!
There are four dogs on the property which were a hit with my daughters.
The property overlooks the village green, with a lovely pub only meters from the door.
Overall we were most impressed, loved the big breakfasts and loved the garden.
Strongly recommended

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SimonBunn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Couldn't wish for a better B&B.
Previous reviews are spot on.
Great hosts, location. Beautiful house. Luxurious bedding. Perfect breakfast. Spotless and beautiful rooms.
Great pub and restaurant next door.
Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed B
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a delightful night here after an exciting afternoon at Wimbledon.It's difficult to find anything to add that other reviewers have failed to mention. This really is the best B&B ever. All four rooms were full the night we stayed and breakfast at Joanna and Paul's long table was a social event in itself.Everything on the breakfast menu was delicious and enough to keep you full until supper..perfect in every way.
We stayed in the "green" room and the bed was so comfortable you almost did'nt want to go to sleep. The whole bathroom experience was a pleasure..lovely warm towels and the most amazing products..Artful Teasing from Petworth. The lavender and rose geranium body lotion,handwash and shower gel smelt wonderful. How often have you stayed in a 4 or 5* hotel with a horrid noisy extractor fan..here the extractor fan just purrs very quietly.

We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simonjames048
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
Hartsfield Manor Betchworth
The Cranleigh Hotel
The Cranleigh Hotel
#2 of 3 in Reigate
Premier Inn Redhill Reigate Hotel

Been to Brockham B&B? Share your experiences!