“Just too many room changes!”

Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked this weekend for a bit of 'r and r' and also because this was a De Vere venue that we had not yet visited. During the course of our weekend many things occurred.....

Room 1(annexe) - stained and blocked shower, a continuous low shushing noise like a tap running and a bathroom door that when closed would not open for anyone.
Room 2(annexe) - moved into this one at 1.30am after the night staff couldn't open said bathroom door. Not happy to be redressing and packing and trailing upstairs without any toiletries which were still in the bathroom! Still the shushing noise despite being assured that this room was quiet. Poor night's sleep as you might imagine.
Room 3 (main house) - put here after complaining. On 2nd floor and reached by some extremely narrow stairs. Quiet (hurray!) and bigger bed (hurray!) but tiny and gloomy bathroom with a door that wouldn't close and a stone cold towel rail and no way of turning it on.

We did complain to a very helpful duty manager who was full of apologies. He did do something about the stone cold plates at breakfast but even he couldn't magic up butter for our toast on either day - we were told there was no butter anywhere in the hotel kitchen....really?
We are bemused and not in the least rested and we are still waiting for our bill to be explained to us as even the lady on reception did not understand it.....

This is a lovely looking hotel, as indeed are all the De Vere venues but beware when booking this one - there appear to be many issues to be resolved . Come on De Vere, you can do better than this!

Room Tip: Check your room carefully to ensure there are no problems! Annexe rooms have big bathrooms but the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SkateMinsteronSea

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We've been going to this place for a few years now and have generally had very good service and support. The conference rooms are rather basic (no flashy smart boards or electronic gizmos) but they provide decent size rooms to accommodate different sizes of groups. The rooms are pretty much in same vein - rather basic but very functional and always clean. The restaurant provides a decent variety of dishes to cater for most states and the wine list also has a good range of bottles to choose from.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the rooms that overlook the garden at the back of the hotel. That's where everyon...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Arriving at Hartsfield Manor is very impressive with a great setting, beautiful building and amazing reception hall.
But, our bedroom was on the second floor and there are no lifts! The bedroom was large but the bed a small (a double... just). The decor was clean and tidy but the only drawers were in the small bedside tables. The wardrobe was just big enough.... once we had emptied the ironing board, iron, tea tray, kettle and hair dryer out.
The bathroom was clean and big enough but the towel rail did not work (it was the only form of heating), it was reported but nothing happened in 4 days! The shower screen had the plastic strip missing off the bottom so every shower meant a puddle on the bathroom floor, it was reported and nothing happened in 4 days!
First night we booked the restaurant only to find there was only a bar menu available but the food was good. There as no atmosphere as there was only 1 other couple in this large restaurant.
Perhaps we went at the wrong time but we will not be rushing back. Pity as the initial impression was so positive.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We paid extra to stay in the main manor house which is definitely worth it. We did have to change the first room they gave us because it was cold and the radiator in the bathroom was not working. But the staff were very friendly and helpful and the second room was lovely and spacious. The food was excellent.

1  Thank TPL31
Reviewed 31 December 2013

It isn't that there is anything really wrong with this place but they need to try harder.
The room (in the main building) was really pretty basic and it was cold. We did ask for and get a very small electric heater which made a little bit of a difference. There was an electric towel rail in the bathroom but no way of turning it on could be found and the room was cold. The lighting in the bathroom was poor, with no light over the mirror.
However the food (dinner and breakfast) was excellent as was the service.
But why oh why charge for the use of a credit card? I can't remember if it was £2.50 or 2.5% but this is just a mean spirited thing and really the cost should be built in.

Room Tip: We were in the main building and from what other people said we were glad we were.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The main hotel is a lovely old building set within beautiful grounds. We opted for a room upgrade so as not to be in the modern annexe. The bedroom was huge and tastefully furnished. It was exceptionally clean as was the bathroom. The only downside was that the bathroom was dark despite the halogen bulbs. If one had been placed over the mirror or there was an additional mirror light, it would have been perfect. The bar is cosy but be warned prices are quite high. The breakfast room was pleasant and airy and the breakfast itself was of a good standard. Staff are lovely and friendly. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a room in the main (old) building.
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I was fortunate enough to get one of Devere's bargain breaks and booked for two nights. Having read some of the previous reviews I was a bit nervous as to how my room would be so was prepared for disappointment. This is the second Devere I have stayed at and I love that there isnt masses of signing from roads all around. The signing is almost invisible, but its discreet and sympathetic to the surrounding countryside and villages.
I turned up Sandy Lane, not believing that there could be a large resort hotel up this pretty lane. At the entrance, I noted the lodge house, apparently privately owned, how nice! And pretty approach to the main hotel. All looking very nice. Parking excellent..right outside the entrance and nothing to disappoint on entering either. Reception staff very welcoming and surprise - because there was a party that night in the main hotel, I was in a room in the Lodge, the little house at the gateway...interesting.
I decided Id check my room out first, just in case I might want to move for any reason. My room was lovely, spacious, with a big window overlooking where I could park my car. No fridge but I stored my pint of milk outside overnight! My only little niggle, not even a complaint is that for a lady, none of the lighting is good enough for creating facial artwork!!! Not a problem for me on this occasion...I was chillin'.
It is a lovely place to stay to explore nearby shopping towns of Dorking and Reigate, equidistant in each direction, and pretty walks through lanes and the village nearby. Go right out of the gate and you'll eventually come to an estate with a herd of deer and a pretty mill and stream.
The public rooms in the Hotel are classic and stylishly decorated with contemporary furniture against old room details with pretty views over the grounds through large picture windows.
A modern corridor leads to the business/computer centre/cafe with stylish artwork and photography throughout.
I didnt eat on the premises but the restaurant was perfectly lit for romantic dinners and the menu looked very nice.
The only blip to my stay was that I had no hot water on my final morning. It turned out the whole hotels system had gone down with the exception of one wing, where I was offered to take as long as I wanted to bath etc there. They seemed to have got to work on the issue very quickly and fortunately for them, hadnt had many guests overnight that night. Im sure it must have had something to do with power failure due to the horrendous storm the previous night. But staff handled the issue very well indeed. I look forward to trying other venues. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you are happy to be a distance from the bars etc, then a room in the Lodge house is lovely. Ther...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betchworth
6 mi away
#1 of 3 in Egham
Travelodge Dorking
Travelodge Dorking
#6 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth? Share your experiences!