Having visited this venue previously for business conference, we suggested to our daughter and prospective son in law they may like to consider Highgate for their wedding. At first they were a little hesitant, as previous reviews state, the car park area and entrance to the Hotel is somewhat off putting due to the nature of the new buildings, but once inside the reception and courtyard area, the whole ambiance changes. Beautiful old ironstone house with leaded light mullioned windows, great garden area with perfect backdrops for photographs, plenty of seating for pre meal drinks and even garden games for the children (indeed adults too).
Rooms inside the house are good, very comfortable beds, clean linen and towels daily. Some of the rooms in the grounds could do with upgrading but understand this is being addressed.
Staff were excellent, couldn't do enough to help, the food was superb and plenty of it.
Small touches like the open fridge with bottled water and fruit drinks, biscuit jar and tea, coffee etc on a 'help yourself' basis was appreciated.
The baronial hall was very impressive for the ceremony and the dining room well placed for the Wedding Breakfast and transformed in the evening for the 'party' with small stage and dance floor.
Only two small criticisms, the tariff system needs to be sorted:
i.e. internet, and 'special rates' and direct to the hotel all seem to be different according to the day of the week!!
If one is booking 4 or 5 rooms for two nights, there could be a difference of £100 in the total package of B and B.
As we found to our cost. Also, the bathrooms could all do with a magnifier mirror!
Other than that, a wonderful day to remember, even the sun came out despite the weather predicition. Thanks to all concerned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Based in and around a 17th century mansion, Highgate House is a beautiful country house hotel set amongst rolling countryside,just 7 miles from Northampton. Accommodation consists of 97 en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually decorated. Some of the bedrooms are located in the original building whilst the majority are housed in areas across the estate. Each room is fully equipped with hot drink facilities, an alarm clock-radio with iPod docking station, a television and toiletries from the Gilchrist and Soames 'BeeKind` range. You stay also includes includes free WiFi, use of the fitness room and pool, free parking on-site and unlimited tea and coffee. Guests can look forward to a delicious seasonal menu prepared by the award-winning team of chefs, headed up by Lee Gaskins, who has won Northamptonshire's Chef of the Year twice. Food is served in the brasserie-style Terrace Restaurant and lighter meals can be enjoyed in the main bar area. Traditional afternoon tea is available between 3-6pm daily, with a selection of sandwiches,homemade cakes and scones with cream and jam. Leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool, gym, sauna and tennis courts. The hotel's 26 acres of grounds also offer an idyllic setting for walking, with easy access to the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Highgate House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highgate House, a Sundial Venue Hotel Northampton
- Highgate Hotel Northampton