I have just spent a Saturday night at Highgate House, part of the Sundial Group. This hotel has established itself as one of the leading conference venues, and it is not hard to see why. My visit was to have a brief escape from a busy schedule and to relax. I had all sorts of ideas to make use of the sauna, gym, swimming pool and country walks. However, immediately upon arrival, the welcome was so warm and friendly, and the accommodation so comfortable, my whole time was spent simply relaxing, in the bar, lounge and room. It was wonderful.
The accommodation is arranged in individual single story blocks surrounding the original old Highgate House. I presume one of the purposes is to enable conference groups to be kept together. This seems a good idea. It is possible to stay in the main Highgate building at an additional cost.
I imagine that this hotel is very busy during weekdays. On Saturday, there were some conference delegates attending, but the place was generally quiet, calm and peaceful.
My room was 114. It was large, light and well equipped. Maintained to a high standard and very clean. The heating was by a large single radiator with an easy control thermostat keeping the room at a perfect temperature on a frosty night. The bed was large and very comfortable with a perfectly Tog rated duvet. I noticed there was no air-conditioning, but there are two full sized opening windows for those hot summer days. The en-suit was large, bright and clean with ample fluffy towels and the usual supply of toiletries.
The "light-bite" bar snacks are very generous proportions. The 100% Angus Burger with all the trimmings was a feast in itself and well worth the £10 or so. The evening meal was taken in the main restaurant and included in the package. The choice was limited, but more than adequate. The presentation and quality of food was excellent and the service discreetly attentive, and very good. I understand the Chef is locally acclaimed and awarded. The food is locally sources and prepared fresh. The breakfasts are self-service buffet style with the whole range of foods available. Very fresh. Very tasty.
From the checking in to checking out, all the staff - without exception, were helpful and cheerful. Nothing was too much trouble. Happy staff makes happy guests!
I am only sorry that I was not able to make use of all the facilities on offer - maybe next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Based in and around a 17th century mansion, Highgate House is a beautiful country house hotel set amongst rolling countryside,just 7 miles from Northampton. Accommodation consists of 97 en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually decorated. Some of the bedrooms are located in the original building whilst the majority are housed in areas across the estate. Each room is fully equipped with hot drink facilities, an alarm clock-radio with iPod docking station, a television and toiletries from the Gilchrist and Soames 'BeeKind` range. You stay also includes includes free WiFi, use of the fitness room and pool, free parking on-site and unlimited tea and coffee. Guests can look forward to a delicious seasonal menu prepared by the award-winning team of chefs, headed up by Lee Gaskins, who has won Northamptonshire's Chef of the Year twice. Food is served in the brasserie-style Terrace Restaurant and lighter meals can be enjoyed in the main bar area. Traditional afternoon tea is available between 3-6pm daily, with a selection of sandwiches,homemade cakes and scones with cream and jam. Leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool, gym, sauna and tennis courts. The hotel's 26 acres of grounds also offer an idyllic setting for walking, with easy access to the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and LateRooms so you can book your Highgate House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highgate House, a Sundial Venue Hotel Northampton
- Highgate Hotel Northampton