“Weekend Break”

Highgate House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Creaton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I found a great deal on Booking.com the this hotel and phoned to ask if they had a twin room for me and my husband. They said they did and then asked me what the deal was with I told them and they matched it. It was excellent I really enjoyed being there. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were very comfortable. The pool was separated from the Sauna and the shower in the pool area was not working and this was a bit of a pain but overall it was fine. Lovely breakfasts too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear maysenior,

I was really glad to read that we could match the deal you found on Booking.com and that you enjoyed your stay with us at the weekend.

Please accept my apologies for the shower in the swimming-pool being out of action.I am happy to report that it is now back in operation after a total refurbishment.

I hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Highgate House Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A casual glance at the photos of this venue would have you thinking that this is a country house hotel. It is not. It specialises in meetings,events and conferences, so that the historic parts of the hotel are reserved for these. At weekends the room charges are discounted in an attempt to fill the accomodation. My wife and I booked through laterooms.com with a 25% discount and 'got what we paid for'.

Many of the rooms are situated in bungalow units on the campus; a disadvantage on a wet weekend as we have just had. We either needed to drive or use an umbrella to get from room to the main facilities even though it was only 150 yards. The bedroom was adequate, with king sized bed and an enormous desk, but only one upright chair. I did ask for another chair, perhaps an armchair or bucket chair, but only another upright chair was provided. But promptly. The shower room was modern and clean with good towels.

We used the swimming pool, which again was in a separate building, made more complicated by having to obtain a key and sign a disclaimer at reception. The changing facilities were minimal and the single shower was out of action and looked as if it had been so for some time. No warning of this was given.

The reception and dining room staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was enjoyable. But the best of the hotel was apparent at the evening meal. The chef punches above his weight and not only was the meal enjoyable but good value for money.

The hotel is well placed for visiting historic houses and gardens and the Naseby battle site.

Finally, remember, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Look for rooms that connect with main facilities via covered ways if the weather is likely to be inc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Brian C,

Thankyou for your recent review regarding your recent stay with us over the Bank Holiday Week-end.I am sorry the weather was not kinder to you though trust you made good use of our complimentary umbrellas.

Your kind comments about our staff ,especially the Chef and his team,are greatly appreciated.

I should let you know that our Main House bedrooms are available to every-one,though I would advise you to book well in advance as they are very popular !

I do hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have used Highgate House on a number of occasions as a meeting venue and they never let me down. The staff are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble. Bruce the IT guy was so helpful and pleasant when I had a few queries and went out of his way to assist. The food is excellent with amazing cakes at break times......if you need a venue for a meeting these people will go the extra mile. Only slight negative was that although my room was lovely with a great view over the countryside....it was a bit warm...cosy though in winter.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Kathryn F,

Thankyou very much for your review concerning your recent meeting with us.We certainly do intend to go the "extra mile" whenever we can but it was very good of to recognise and highlight that fact.

Bruce (our IT Guy) will be delighted he had a mention and I will make sure he is aware of your kind words.

I do hope you will continue using Highgate House for your meetings and look forward to wecoming you back soon,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited Highgate House for a wedding back in April, easy to find, very picturesque surroundings and grounds, Stayed in what can be descirbed as a chalet type room (disabled room) away from the main house, very big room, decor a little dated and smelt a bit musty, comfortable bed. We didnt request a disabled room , it was just allocated to us on arrival, Bathroom was very big with shower but no bath, and the drainage was not very good , almost flooded the place having a shower. Drinks in the bar were on the pricey side. Breakfast was very good on departure, fresh eggs cooked to order, plenty of choice. Checkout was swift and painless, the only thing I would mention is the price to stay, we had been told our price had been discounted due to being guests at the wedding but I found rooms on Late rooms and booking.com which were cheaper than what we paid.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear woggle,

It was great to receive your detailed and succint review.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended and just to reassure you we do offer a discount for guests attending weddings here.As we have rooms of varying standards those advertised on Late-Rooms would be of a smaller size than the one allocated to you.

I was glad to read that check-out was "swift and painless"(sounds like a minor-op !) and that you will return soon to experience more of our facilities as well as the many local attractions we have in this part of the country,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a two night stay here as a surprise trip for my birthday. Found the hotel to be full of charm and character with lots of incredible old rooms, a wine cellar and baronial dining hall. Nice room with a good view. The service was mostly really good, with reception staff who couldn't do enough for you, and in particular Lee Gaskins overseeing his own breakfast serving - gave me tips to make the perfect poached egg! Really went out of his way to be friendly and accommodating.

Service was only let down by the meal on the Saturday night, there was a function on and they were clearly understaffed but instead of explaining this politely and asking us to be patient, they kept fobbing us off and left us waiting almost 40 minutes to even take our order. Such a shame because everything else about the trip was lovely.

Oh, the swimming pool area is seriously in need of a good clean. But otherwise, would recommend a trip there, enjoyed it.

Dear Alison G,

Thankyou very much for your recent review which I found very constructive.Your comments concerning the service you received on the Saturday evening and about our Swimming Pool area have been particularly noted and I am sorry that they detracted from the overall enjoyment of your stay with us.

I do hope these points will not deter you from staying with us again-it would be great to have the opportunity to fully make amends to you,

Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Recently had a weekend break at Highgate House near Northampton. Good food by award-winning chef Lee Gaskins, friendly staff and comfortable room. My wife has dietary issues and Lee and the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful. The 'leisure facilities', particularly free loan of a bike to explore the rolling countryside is a real plus

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear davealker,

It looks like you had a very active week-end with us and managed to make full use of all our facilities.

I was vey glad to read that we catered successfully for your wife's dietary requirements.It sound like you both enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. You must have had hearty appetites if you cycled up some of the hill around here !

Hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our son's wedding was held at Highgate house , two weeks ago. We stayed for three nights, one to chill out in advance, one with a pre wedding family party, and then for the actual wedding celebrations . We cannot fault anything about our stay and the organisation , accommodation and food . We had a very comfortable superior room in the old house, with a massive incredibly comfortable bed( good enough for the bridal suite itself) and an equally massive very tasty bar meal the first night. good job we had had a mile walk round the grounds first . It was a bit strange to have to take the cover off the swimming pool the next morning, but having said that I had a great swim before breakfast. This as all the food we had over the weekend was excellent and very substantial . Most family members from both sides arrived during the day and the evening get together in the Conservatory was a great success. The chef had put together an excellent menu. The actual wedding day went off without a hitch , superb organisation and the baronial hall made made a splendid venue for the ceremony. The staff went out of their way to make this a memorable occasion. Thank you all at Highgate for a brilliant celebration which we will remember for a long time. Particular thanks to the lady who organised and oversaw the actual wedding day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet R

Dear Janet R,

It was great to read your review of your week-end at Highgate,culminating in your son's wedding.

Please pass on my congratulations to the Happy Couple.

I am so glad all the events you organised went according to plan and we helped to make the week-end a memorable one.Your kind words will be passed on to the staff concerned and thank you for taking the time to record your appreciation,

Kind Regards,Paul Williams,General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Creaton
Woodside Hotel
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Hopping Hare
Hopping Hare
#3 of 29 in Northampton

Been to Highgate House Hotel? Share your experiences!