“Lower your expectations if you look at the photos first!!!”

Highgate House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Creaton
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
“Lower your expectations if you look at the photos first!!!”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The photos online are very misleading giving the impressions of a fabulous country pile with real character. On arrival in the main car park it's more 70's planning mismatch than country splendour. The main reception is more corporate than we were expecting and it became very obvious that this was a venue with rooms rather than a place to settle down and enjoy in it's own right. The rooms in the main house are described as deluxe and our experience was they were far from this rather generous description. Room 208 was small, shabby and although the view was lovely the A road only 20 metres from the window was very off putting. The biggest niggle were the hot water pipes running externally behind and under the bed turning the room into a hot house! The reception staff were lovely quickly relocating us to a quieter room without said pipes. The modern coffee lounge with hot drinks on tap all day was a nice touch and the bright airy breakfast room was nice. Breakfast was a fairly standard affair, why or why food is left to spoil under heat lamps for hours is beyond me when a breakfast chef was so obviously on site. On reflection Highgate House is more pit stop than country escape, does it warrant the prices charged? I am not convinced, but Northampton does appear to be a real quality accommodation black spot so it is probably fair for this area.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Hawthorn block are away from the main road and have space but absolutely no charact...
2 Thank Buggsi
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Buggsi

Thankyou very much for your recent review and observations therein.I would like to assure you it is certainly not our intention to mislead,however we obviously do wish to show Highgate in the best possible light.Logistically the main car-park is at the rear of the building which enables the Front Gardens to be traffic-free.

Your comments concerning the bedrooms have been noted and will be actioned where possible during our on-going refurbishment programme.

Kind Regards,Paul Williams ,General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I found a great deal on Booking.com the this hotel and phoned to ask if they had a twin room for me and my husband. They said they did and then asked me what the deal was with I told them and they matched it. It was excellent I really enjoyed being there. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were very comfortable. The pool was separated from the Sauna and the shower in the pool area was not working and this was a bit of a pain but overall it was fine. Lovely breakfasts too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear maysenior,

I was really glad to read that we could match the deal you found on Booking.com and that you enjoyed your stay with us at the weekend.

Please accept my apologies for the shower in the swimming-pool being out of action.I am happy to report that it is now back in operation after a total refurbishment.

I hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A casual glance at the photos of this venue would have you thinking that this is a country house hotel. It is not. It specialises in meetings,events and conferences, so that the historic parts of the hotel are reserved for these. At weekends the room charges are discounted in an attempt to fill the accomodation. My wife and I booked through laterooms.com with a 25% discount and 'got what we paid for'.

Many of the rooms are situated in bungalow units on the campus; a disadvantage on a wet weekend as we have just had. We either needed to drive or use an umbrella to get from room to the main facilities even though it was only 150 yards. The bedroom was adequate, with king sized bed and an enormous desk, but only one upright chair. I did ask for another chair, perhaps an armchair or bucket chair, but only another upright chair was provided. But promptly. The shower room was modern and clean with good towels.

We used the swimming pool, which again was in a separate building, made more complicated by having to obtain a key and sign a disclaimer at reception. The changing facilities were minimal and the single shower was out of action and looked as if it had been so for some time. No warning of this was given.

The reception and dining room staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was enjoyable. But the best of the hotel was apparent at the evening meal. The chef punches above his weight and not only was the meal enjoyable but good value for money.

The hotel is well placed for visiting historic houses and gardens and the Naseby battle site.

Finally, remember, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Look for rooms that connect with main facilities via covered ways if the weather is likely to be inc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Brian C,

Thankyou for your recent review regarding your recent stay with us over the Bank Holiday Week-end.I am sorry the weather was not kinder to you though trust you made good use of our complimentary umbrellas.

Your kind comments about our staff ,especially the Chef and his team,are greatly appreciated.

I should let you know that our Main House bedrooms are available to every-one,though I would advise you to book well in advance as they are very popular !

I do hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have used Highgate House on a number of occasions as a meeting venue and they never let me down. The staff are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble. Bruce the IT guy was so helpful and pleasant when I had a few queries and went out of his way to assist. The food is excellent with amazing cakes at break times......if you need a venue for a meeting these people will go the extra mile. Only slight negative was that although my room was lovely with a great view over the countryside....it was a bit warm...cosy though in winter.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Kathryn F,

Thankyou very much for your review concerning your recent meeting with us.We certainly do intend to go the "extra mile" whenever we can but it was very good of to recognise and highlight that fact.

Bruce (our IT Guy) will be delighted he had a mention and I will make sure he is aware of your kind words.

I do hope you will continue using Highgate House for your meetings and look forward to wecoming you back soon,

Kind Regards,Paul Williams,General Manager.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited Highgate House for a wedding back in April, easy to find, very picturesque surroundings and grounds, Stayed in what can be descirbed as a chalet type room (disabled room) away from the main house, very big room, decor a little dated and smelt a bit musty, comfortable bed. We didnt request a disabled room , it was just allocated to us on arrival, Bathroom was very big with shower but no bath, and the drainage was not very good , almost flooded the place having a shower. Drinks in the bar were on the pricey side. Breakfast was very good on departure, fresh eggs cooked to order, plenty of choice. Checkout was swift and painless, the only thing I would mention is the price to stay, we had been told our price had been discounted due to being guests at the wedding but I found rooms on Late rooms and booking.com which were cheaper than what we paid.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear woggle,

It was great to receive your detailed and succint review.

I hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended and just to reassure you we do offer a discount for guests attending weddings here.As we have rooms of varying standards those advertised on Late-Rooms would be of a smaller size than the one allocated to you.

I was glad to read that check-out was "swift and painless"(sounds like a minor-op !) and that you will return soon to experience more of our facilities as well as the many local attractions we have in this part of the country,

Kind Regards,Paul Williams,General Manager.
Romford
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a two night stay here as a surprise trip for my birthday. Found the hotel to be full of charm and character with lots of incredible old rooms, a wine cellar and baronial dining hall. Nice room with a good view. The service was mostly really good, with reception staff who couldn't do enough for you, and in particular Lee Gaskins overseeing his own breakfast serving - gave me tips to make the perfect poached egg! Really went out of his way to be friendly and accommodating.

Service was only let down by the meal on the Saturday night, there was a function on and they were clearly understaffed but instead of explaining this politely and asking us to be patient, they kept fobbing us off and left us waiting almost 40 minutes to even take our order. Such a shame because everything else about the trip was lovely.

Oh, the swimming pool area is seriously in need of a good clean. But otherwise, would recommend a trip there, enjoyed it.

Dear Alison G,

Thankyou very much for your recent review which I found very constructive.Your comments concerning the service you received on the Saturday evening and about our Swimming Pool area have been particularly noted and I am sorry that they detracted from the overall enjoyment of your stay with us.

I do hope these points will not deter you from staying with us again-it would be great to have the opportunity to fully make amends to you,

Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Recently had a weekend break at Highgate House near Northampton. Good food by award-winning chef Lee Gaskins, friendly staff and comfortable room. My wife has dietary issues and Lee and the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful. The 'leisure facilities', particularly free loan of a bike to explore the rolling countryside is a real plus

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SundialManager, Manager at Highgate House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear davealker,

It looks like you had a very active week-end with us and managed to make full use of all our facilities.

I was vey glad to read that we catered successfully for your wife's dietary requirements.It sound like you both enjoyed your meals in our restaurant. You must have had hearty appetites if you cycled up some of the hill around here !

Hope you will visit us again soon,Best Wishes,Paul Williams,General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creaton
Woodside Hotel
Hopping Hare
Hopping Hare
#3 of 29 in Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa

Been to Highgate House Hotel? Share your experiences!