The photos online are very misleading giving the impressions of a fabulous country pile with real character. On arrival in the main car park it's more 70's planning mismatch than country splendour. The main reception is more corporate than we were expecting and it became very obvious that this was a venue with rooms rather than a place to settle down and enjoy in it's own right. The rooms in the main house are described as deluxe and our experience was they were far from this rather generous description. Room 208 was small, shabby and although the view was lovely the A road only 20 metres from the window was very off putting. The biggest niggle were the hot water pipes running externally behind and under the bed turning the room into a hot house! The reception staff were lovely quickly relocating us to a quieter room without said pipes. The modern coffee lounge with hot drinks on tap all day was a nice touch and the bright airy breakfast room was nice. Breakfast was a fairly standard affair, why or why food is left to spoil under heat lamps for hours is beyond me when a breakfast chef was so obviously on site. On reflection Highgate House is more pit stop than country escape, does it warrant the prices charged? I am not convinced, but Northampton does appear to be a real quality accommodation black spot so it is probably fair for this area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Based in and around a 17th century mansion, Highgate House is a beautiful country house hotel set amongst rolling countryside,just 7 miles from Northampton. Accommodation consists of 97 en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually decorated. Some of the bedrooms are located in the original building whilst the majority are housed in areas across the estate. Each room is fully equipped with hot drink facilities, an alarm clock-radio with iPod docking station, a television and toiletries from the Gilchrist and Soames 'BeeKind` range. You stay also includes includes free WiFi, use of the fitness room and pool, free parking on-site and unlimited tea and coffee. Guests can look forward to a delicious seasonal menu prepared by the award-winning team of chefs, headed up by Lee Gaskins, who has won Northamptonshire's Chef of the Year twice. Food is served in the brasserie-style Terrace Restaurant and lighter meals can be enjoyed in the main bar area. Traditional afternoon tea is available between 3-6pm daily, with a selection of sandwiches,homemade cakes and scones with cream and jam. Leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool, gym, sauna and tennis courts. The hotel's 26 acres of grounds also offer an idyllic setting for walking, with easy access to the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Highgate House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highgate House, a Sundial Venue Hotel Northampton
- Highgate Hotel Northampton