I stayed with my partner at Highgate hotel in November 2010 for a Saturday night. We decieded to find somewhere to relax and take a weekend away (that was not too far away) and came upon Highgate hotel. We ended up booking a £75 a night B&B but decided to upgrade (as it was an option) for £25 which got us an executive room, free mince pies / coffee delivered to the room on arrival and mulled wine before dinner.
Arriving the place does not look great. You enter via some very nice automated gates but then it looks like a cheap motel as you drive through the car park, luckily, its all uphill from there.
We checked in with the help of a very nice receptionist who remembered my email conversations with her. We did get the executive room and she organised for the mince pies / coffee to be delivered straight to the room. She had also made a booking for dinner that night in the hotel and said it was an “open booking, just arrive when you want between 7 and 9pm”, very nice touch!!
The room we got was LOVELY. HUGE, really nicely appointed with comfortable bed. The bathroom was HUGE also, much bigger than most hotel rooms in the UK. It had a full sized bath and massive shower. The view from the room was overlooking the “nice” part of the house so was very pleasant. We found out that the room had only be refurbished a few months earlier and that was clear.
The hotel inside is very nice. The “harry potter” dining room would be lovely, if you have an event there. The bar is quite nice, small, but very homely feeling. My only real issue with the place is that the pool is about a 2-3 min walk outside and during winter, its just too cold to do that (take note, you need to ask for a key to get in to the pool, so ask before you go).
We had dinner at the restaurant on the Saturday night and for £20 for a three course I guess I can not complain, but it was just not that good. Starters we both ordered cold starters and it was obvious they were both pre-made and left in the fridge as they arrived approximately 30 seconds after we ordered and everything on the plate, including the plate it self, was ice cold. The mains were actally quite nice but the desserts again, felt like mass produced “tesco” type desserts. The biggest disappointment was the wine. We ordered a £18.50 bottle of Malbec. It arrived already opened (never good) and as it turned out, was a 2010 bottle. I have not even seen 2010 reds in supermarkets, let alone restaurants for nearly £20 a bottle.
Breakfast was very nice. Usual cooked and cold breakfast fair with a nice touch of a egg chef who cooks your eggs the way you like it, fresh for you.
All in all we would highly recommend Highgate house for a nice weekend get away for a very reasonable price!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Based in and around a 17th century mansion, Highgate House is a beautiful country house hotel set amongst rolling countryside,just 7 miles from Northampton. Accommodation consists of 97 en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually decorated. Some of the bedrooms are located in the original building whilst the majority are housed in areas across the estate. Each room is fully equipped with hot drink facilities, an alarm clock-radio with iPod docking station, a television and toiletries from the Gilchrist and Soames 'BeeKind` range. You stay also includes includes free WiFi, use of the fitness room and pool, free parking on-site and unlimited tea and coffee. Guests can look forward to a delicious seasonal menu prepared by the award-winning team of chefs, headed up by Lee Gaskins, who has won Northamptonshire's Chef of the Year twice. Food is served in the brasserie-style Terrace Restaurant and lighter meals can be enjoyed in the main bar area. Traditional afternoon tea is available between 3-6pm daily, with a selection of sandwiches,homemade cakes and scones with cream and jam. Leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool, gym, sauna and tennis courts. The hotel's 26 acres of grounds also offer an idyllic setting for walking, with easy access to the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Highgate House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Highgate House, a Sundial Venue Hotel Northampton
- Highgate Hotel Northampton