“Great hotel, highly recommended”

Highgate House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Creaton
Melbourne, Australia
“Great hotel, highly recommended”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I stayed with my partner at Highgate hotel in November 2010 for a Saturday night. We decieded to find somewhere to relax and take a weekend away (that was not too far away) and came upon Highgate hotel. We ended up booking a £75 a night B&B but decided to upgrade (as it was an option) for £25 which got us an executive room, free mince pies / coffee delivered to the room on arrival and mulled wine before dinner.
Arriving the place does not look great. You enter via some very nice automated gates but then it looks like a cheap motel as you drive through the car park, luckily, its all uphill from there.

We checked in with the help of a very nice receptionist who remembered my email conversations with her. We did get the executive room and she organised for the mince pies / coffee to be delivered straight to the room. She had also made a booking for dinner that night in the hotel and said it was an “open booking, just arrive when you want between 7 and 9pm”, very nice touch!!

The room we got was LOVELY. HUGE, really nicely appointed with comfortable bed. The bathroom was HUGE also, much bigger than most hotel rooms in the UK. It had a full sized bath and massive shower. The view from the room was overlooking the “nice” part of the house so was very pleasant. We found out that the room had only be refurbished a few months earlier and that was clear.

The hotel inside is very nice. The “harry potter” dining room would be lovely, if you have an event there. The bar is quite nice, small, but very homely feeling. My only real issue with the place is that the pool is about a 2-3 min walk outside and during winter, its just too cold to do that (take note, you need to ask for a key to get in to the pool, so ask before you go).

We had dinner at the restaurant on the Saturday night and for £20 for a three course I guess I can not complain, but it was just not that good. Starters we both ordered cold starters and it was obvious they were both pre-made and left in the fridge as they arrived approximately 30 seconds after we ordered and everything on the plate, including the plate it self, was ice cold. The mains were actally quite nice but the desserts again, felt like mass produced “tesco” type desserts. The biggest disappointment was the wine. We ordered a £18.50 bottle of Malbec. It arrived already opened (never good) and as it turned out, was a 2010 bottle. I have not even seen 2010 reds in supermarkets, let alone restaurants for nearly £20 a bottle.

Breakfast was very nice. Usual cooked and cold breakfast fair with a nice touch of a egg chef who cooks your eggs the way you like it, fresh for you.

All in all we would highly recommend Highgate house for a nice weekend get away for a very reasonable price!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Second time I've stayed here. The location and facilities are good. However the noise in the evening is terrible there's a constant drowning sound and every 45 minutes there's a sound like a firework display I'm sure it's a compactor and the sons of glass being broken. Dinner was good but I was asked if I wanted a glass of wine and I selected a red glass priced at £3.50 the wine arrived and I drank with meal. When the bill arrived the wine charge was £7.50. When I asked why the waitress said it was a large glass I replied I didn't ask for a large glass. She then replied oh if you order a glass of wine we assume it's a large glass. I couldn't believe the cheek of it and waitress attitude I don't mind paying for what I ordered. On checkout the room rate was hiher than I'd been given and previously confirmed by email. I then had to spend 15 mins finding confirmation of price they sent me as they had no copy. Really poor customer service. A shame as a noce venue.

• Stayed October 2010
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 October 2010

This hotel is geared for business with many meeting rooms and conference facilities being utilised and the hotel appeared to be full to capacity during my stay. This did affected the service (dinner, bar, reception etc.) although this was understandable. Rooms are a reasonable size with facilities that you would expect.
Noise was a factor also, particularly early morning and last thing at night, again I believe this was due the numbers staying overnight and those arriving for early morning meetings.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, food was ok although menu was limited, staff were pleasant and the surrounding areas was worth a stroll. Nice touch with the free water and coffee, although a couple of times I went to use the machine in the afternoon it was empty. Would go back, but for business reasons only I suspect.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Rochdale, England
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I was impressed by the grounds and the car park which has security gates. The staff were really good, and the food (both evening meal and breakfast) was excellent.
The bedrooms are a tad on the small size and I was disappointed that my room had only a shower cubicle and no bath.
At £68 bed and breakfast with free internet and leisure facilities, plus free bottled water and fruit, this is tremendous value.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wroughtironron
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and had no complaints. The staff are helpful and friendly, infact couldnt do enough for you. We ate in The Terrace restaurant first night although not a huge menu, the food was lovely and reasonably priced. Breakfast was also good with alot to choose from. Second day we attended a wedding and the reception was held at the hotel, the staff again went out of their way to make sure you had a good time. Would definately stay here again if was ever in the area.

edinburgh
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We needed a cheap room for one night before a wedding - so was relatively good value for all we needed.

Greeted by an unwelcoming receptionist who was very quiet. However, this was compensated by the fact the chef who was willing to work late in order to “rustle up” some decent food for us after the kitchen had closed.

The room, bathroom and facilities were good/clean. However our room looked out onto the main road so I had a very disturbed night’s sleep due to cars speeding by.

Kent
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Well, I shall start with the greeting, fantastic, really friendly gent came down to reception as we were late arriving, checked us in promptly and off to our room.

Although it was cosy (borderline small) it was very well fitted out, being modern throughout with flat screen TV and iPod dock etc. Air-conditioning worked well as the bed was a little hot for me, I normally have a very thin quilt but that is my preference, my partner was fine.

The grounds were lovely and there were plenty of places to go locally, the receptionist was very helpful in drawing us a map to find a local reservoir to ride around!

We had only intended to stay two nights, however as it was my partners birthday I once again asked reception if there were any room upgrades available for a further night, she promptly gave me several options at a great price so we stayed a further night, what fantastic service!

We spent the third night in the old building and it was fantastic, really traditional feel and although there was a wedding reception downstairs we barely noticed it and fell asleep way before they finished!

Only visited the bar once, but was of a traditional feel, wish we had visited the restaurant now though as it looked great!

Swimming pool was lovely, had it all to ourselves and also the gym is well equipped and the sauna was also a lovely extra.

I will finish by saying that it is a real pleasure to find somewhere at such a great price where you truly feel valued, everyone is so friendly and go out of their way to help, will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creaton
Woodside Hotel
Hopping Hare
Hopping Hare
#3 of 29 in Northampton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa

Been to Highgate House Hotel? Share your experiences!