“Great weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Desborough B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

we just come back from a festival we normally camp at. we booked the george as we couldnt camp this year, we looked it up before going and saw a review about the noise fom the bar at night. when we got there the rooms were spotless and basic just what we wanted the owner was really friendly and down to earth. we didnt booked breakfasts but that wasnt a problem and was added on as when w had it. good value too, so in the end a comfortable nights sleep a full english when we got up and an added bonus the bar was still open when we got back so a nice nightcap was availalbe. well woth the cost and are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed on a Sunday Nt, very comfortable beds nice and clean, it's not the ritz, but exceptionally good value for money and the staff very friendly. Have to be in the area next weekend so have booked again for Friday. Have been warned by the owner that it will be noisy, but hey it is a pub and I would expect and accept that.
All in all well recommended.
Martin Parker

• Stayed August 2014
Eckington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have stayed in budget accommodation in Europe, USA & Canada and this is the worst place I have ever stayed. My son and I both had rooms above the smoking areas outside and there was the smell of cigarette smoke and cannabis coming through our windows. My partner booked through booking.com and there was no mention there of this pub having a licence until 2am. I went down to the bar at 1.30am and mentioned I would be speaking to the landlady in the morning. It was extremely noisy until turned 2am. The rooms were OK- basic but clean enough. The breakfast was OK. I was asked if I wanted tea/coffee but I asked for orange juice instead. I then spoke to the landlady and said we needed to discuss a deduction in the cost. This she would not even consider despite how unhappy we had been with our stay. She informed me I should have known they had a licence until 2am, that it was noisy until then which I should have known, said I was wrong about what I had smelt and accused me of deliberately not paying the day before. My son also spoke to her and got informed he was mistaken as to what he had smelt as well. It was obvious she was unconcerned with anything other than getting payment. I decided it was pointless continuing despite feeling extremely annoyed at having to pay £65 (2 x £30 rooms and 1 x £5 breakfast). She then announced I owed £67.29. My paperwork (printed from booking.com) was £65. She said the breakfast was £5.95 and the orange juice I had had was extra. I paid what my paperwork said. I am writing this with a view to hopefully prevent other people having to go through such an horrendous experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lynne B
Dordogne, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The room was very good clean bed comfortable and well equipped, the shower was excellent not a box good size. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

This is a busy Pub and can be a bit noisy but no problem to me.

I thought it was excellent value for money and would definately stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good standard recently refurbished.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dordinner
Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Very polite staff, however agree with previous review on not taking card.....bit old school! Generally i would recommend this place, however only if you have ear plugs. Stayed during a work trip on a Friday and Saturday night, with music blaring until gone 1am there was no chance of getting to sleep before. Very loud!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs on a Friday/Saturday night!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the George as we had our wedding reception at the ritz it was perfect for what we needed it for with clean tidy rooms and good bathrooms land lady was great and breakfast was lovely too would definitely stop again thanks to all the George staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

if you are on the road or working from home this is just what you need.....decent size rooms well maintained with good and adjustable c/h....spacious showers....not a tiny not turn around in box....plenty of plugs which is nice coz sometimes in digs you have to unplug one thing to plug in another......

The pub.....it has to be one of the friendliest and at the same time characteristic bunch of folks i have ever met......the pub is great on its own with good ales a cracking juke box and Sue doing really good basic tucker(Choice cheeseburgers),which you can enjoy away from the bar buzz coz the place is that big and well laid out.....

The staff and punters will honestly make you feel like a local in next to no time..(unless you are a real dick).....

Honestly anyone complaining about this place needs to have a word with themselves...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desborough
Premier Inn Kettering Hotel
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Express Kettering Corby
Travel Plaza Market Harborough Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barton Seagrave
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to The George? Share your experiences!