“great weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wrea Green
Wigan, United Kingdom
“great weekend”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

surprised my wife with a weekend away for her birthday and it was a fantastic weekend. she had a mum to be massage and loved it. cannot wait to go back. Breakfast and lunch was good but had dinners out to get out of the hotel. staff were all good and the standard room was to a very good standard better than we expected

Room Tip: standard room was bigger than we expected, cannot comment on the other rooms as we have only stayed...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We went to Ribby Hall for an overnight stay in the hotel, an afternoon 'Spa Experience' and evening meal.
The first thing to say is that the Hotel/Spa first impression was excellent. The staff being helpful & positive and everywhere looked spotlessly clean.
I won't repeat all the good things that other reviewers have submitted - they are right.
The particular things we enjoyed were:-

1. The Spa area was brilliantly clean, well-appointed and with lots of different options. The outdoor hot tub session watching the sunset was a real bonus.

2. The food at evening meal was simply outstanding. We had beef & lamb meals that were presented and cooked to perfection.

3. All the staff we met were helpful and intent on making sure we had a good (without being the slightest bit 'pushy'). Particularly positive were the restaurant staff who knew exactly how good the food was but were not pretentious about it and were happy to explain options.

Overall an impeccable experience that we will definitely being repeating.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the wide open spaces, which is a lovely view.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My daughter took me here for a birthday treat, where we took the Aqua Thermal Journey. The hotel is very modern, with welcoming staff. The event was explained to us and we were taken through to the ladies changing room, tastefully appointed with showers, hair dryers, hair straighteners etc....and under floor heating so you don't get your feet cold! We were issued with soft fluffy robes, towels and soft sandals, so all you need to take is your cozzie. After we got changed we wandered back to the bistro bar and had a glass of wine, there were lots of people doing the same thing. After a shower we embarked on our trip around various steam rooms, gradually increasing in heat, interspersed with showers, foot spas etc. Each sauna was different, one was herb scented, one was light sensitive, and I quite liked the Balinese salt one.....though I didn't stay in that one long! There was also a bucket of cold water shower (most invigorating, I promise!) and a huge bowl of ice to rub down with......we even used that, and it was great! There' s also a thermal pool and we finished off outside in the hot tub with glorious views of the surrounding countryside. Very relaxing, most enjoyable and would have no hesitation in going again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jill D
Cheshire
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just celebrated our 25th anniversary here - what an absolute treat! The staff were warm, helpful and attentive. Our room was just a standard double, but it was clean, well proportioned, with a comfy bed and lovely view out over the spa Zen Garden and over the Lancashire countryside. Nice little touch to find an unexpected 'Happy Anniversary' card from the staff in our room too!

The spa itself had a good range of saunas, steam rooms, relaxation areas, an outdoor hot tub and again, the attentive staff made sure we knew what we were doing and where we were going. After enjoying 5 hours in the spa, my husband and I had a side-by-side hot stone massage and again, were both thoroughly impressed by the expertise of our therapists. As a keen runner, I've had countless 'massages' that have had no impact at all, but this was a good, deep massage, that really worked the lactic acid out of the muscles.

Then there was the food...

Wow! What a surprise. We really didn't expect it to be the quality it was. From afternoon tea to our evening meal and breakfast the next morning, every meal was beautifully prepared and presented. Fresh ingredients, nothing over cooked, and an adventurous menu.

The only slight niggle if I have one is that the hotel was understandably popular with Hen Parties, some of whom got quite loud in the spa, with too much shrieking. It would have been good if there was someone on hand to remind the louder parties to respect that people had come to relax, or if there were something on entry to remind us to be respectful and keep noise to a minimum.

Returned home unwound, shoulders 3 inches lower & ready for the Xmas onslaught! Will definitely be back :)

Liverpool
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My sister and I returned to Ribby Hall for our bi-annual spa break. We have tried other places and always return here. Simply because we cannot fault the place and are treated like princesses each time we visit.
Check-in is quick and easy, and we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to room 1029, which is the 'best room in the house'... a large bedroom, with TV and en-suite, and a huge living room with balcony, which overlooks the lake at the front of the hotel.
The entire hotel is immaculate; clean and tidy. The staff simply are amazing, and friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
Breakfast was our favourite time of the day- eggs Benedict on day one and pancakes on day 2. There is also a buffet with cereal, yoghurts, fruit and cold meats etc
The Spa itself was lovely. There are 6 sauna/ steam rooms, an outdoor whirlpool, small bathing pool with jets and plenty of room to relax.
We booked in for the Hopi ear candle and Elemis salt & oil scrub... we didnt want either of them to end. Again the staff were friendly and helpful and chatty, which is so comforting, given the attitude of the staff in some spa/ spa hotels.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the amenities second to none. The hotel is (i believe) adult only (ideal for us without children), however the 'park' caters for children of all ages.
I cannot recommend the hotel enough, and am happy to answer any queries poeple have.
Thank you again to the wonderful staff for making our spa weekend a 'ten out of ten' and thank you even more for posting my coat home to me when I stupidly left it in the wardrobe!
Sally & Helen Clegg
x

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a one bedroom. Book spa treatments in advance to avoid disappointment. Pay fo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Very impressive from arrival to checking out. Excellent customer service and top class spa facilities - will definitely be returning ! We ate in the main site restaurant which was excellent but the brasserie at the hotel itself looked very good with a classy champagne bar - breakfast was taken there and was well thought out - will give it a try next time.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I took advantage of the Thursday special deal: dinner, bed & breakfast, use of the spa and a luxury double room and was not disappointed!!
I was in dire need of a break and an opportunity to de-stress and the spa hotel more than lived up to my expectations.
The hotel is easy to find with friendly, polite and professional staff. Nothing is too much trouble. The luxury double room I stayed is was simply beautiful with a large 4 poster bed and fantastic music system. They even provide a mini fridge with complimentary water and milk.
The Spa is everything I had hoped it would be and more! Multiple sauna, steam room and jacuzzi experiences all in extremely clean, warm and luxurious surroundings. The outside jacuzzi at nighttime is not something to miss!
I also booked a facial and massage as an extra and was very impressed with the quality of the service provided. Needless to say I left The spa feeling like I was walking on air!
I had my evening meal in the Brasserie. It was delightful! I ordered the fillet beef (£9 supplement) and it was cooked to perfection, a real treat. Service was fantastic with very knowledgeable helpful staff.
I chose to take breakfast in my room (£3 tray charge) which wan as again, excellent before heading back to the spa before check out at 11am.
I really cannot recommend this place highly enough. Every aspect of my trip was excellent, they really have thought if everything. I will definitely be going back!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
#8 of 17 in Lytham St Anne's
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to The Spa Hotel at Ribby Hall Village? Share your experiences!