“Jan”

Ranked #1 of 1 Wrea Green B&B and Inns
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Jan”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed for one night only on this occasion but will not be going back again. Arrived early evening beginning of November to a cold room that had heating on only in the bathroom, but with no hot water. Reported problem to reception & was informed an engineer was working on it, & it would be resolved shortly. Ended up going down for dinner without a shower to find could not eat in the restaurant & only bar meals available. Still no hot water before bed, & the following morning after running the tap for ages still only cold. On ringing reception again was told to leave it with him & hot water was available minutes later. At no time was there a manager available to discuss this with even when booking out after breakfast, we were charged full price & after a conversation with a manager at a later date no form of refund was made. Unacceptable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JanSmithies
Davidbush, Manager at The Villa, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Jan
My apologies for the lack of water when you stayed with us over the weekend. Unbeknown to us United Utilities were working in the area and lowered the pressure of the water for the weekend. They sent letters to most of the village to inform them about this but not ourselves. This consequently resulted in a reduced amount of water coming into our water tank and demand at the hotel exceeding supply. We are currently in talks with United Utilities to find out why we were not informed.
I do hope you will return to the hotel, as offered by the manager, so that we can show you that this is not our normal operating standard.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel a year ago and was very impressed however we were very disappointed by our recent stay. We checked into our room mid afternoon to find building work going on outside our room, noisy workmen, noisy machinery etc, not want you want on a weekend break! We asked why we were not told about this and the receptionist asked
'Were you not with the wedding party'! Obviously we were put in this room assuming we wouldn't be in it all day!
Old and used toiletries were also left in the bathroom with hair in the bath.
Breakfast was very disappointing and not as nice as last time. Small portions and cold.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank 811Sarah
Davidbush, Manager at The Villa, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us a year ago and i am sorry that this time it wasnt as expected. We are currently having some fabulous new facilities built for us and although all the work is at the back of the hotel sometimes the noise does carry. The work is due to be finished in December and will give us some great additional space for guests. I apologise that there was some work going on up until 5pm during your stay. I do hope that you will return so that you can see that it was a blip in our normal standards.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed over night at the Villa Hotel on 27/10. I love this hotel and have stayed here numerous times. I would not pay the full rate so I only go when I can get an offer. The hotel is in a lovely location with the pretty village of Wrea Green just a 5 minute walk away with its village green and pond. There is also a nice pub which over looks the green which you can sit outside on a nice day. Lytham is just 5 miles away and a lovely place to visit. Lots of eating places and shops to look around.

Back to the Villa, the bed was quite uncomfortable which I had not experienced at this hotel before so I did not sleep too well as I had back pain. There were a few people staying at the
hotel and there was quite a bit of noise at times as my room was near the doorway to the
upstairs corridor.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was wonderful.

I had a great time and this hotel is a little gem and well worth a visit.

Treat yourself to

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Felixstowe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Overall nice hotel. Our friends had their wedding reception here and we stayed overnight on a Friday (before the wedding) and Saturday (night of the wedding) as we were coming from the London area.
Room size was good and had great air conditioning. Bathroom also a good size. Lovely peaceful location away from main roads.
We had a first floor room right by the main entrance which was surprisingly quiet, especially since people were gathering out the front a lot for the drinks reception and canapés, and in and out with wedding gear, as well as arriving/leaving over the weekend.

The room was a little bit dated though, with mahogany furniture and was a bit old fashioned but I suppose that fits in with the feel of the place. Room was clean though.

Food was yummy! We had some nice canapés and some nice food. I originally picked a meat dish bug after I saw the local fish and chips choice I asked to change this and the staff were more than happy to do that for me, and they were quick too. Easy to egg served at the bar which was nice but then again I think they had the whole venue to themselves which was probably why. Yummy BBQ food in the evening too the night before, but evening buffet on the wedding day was a little limited and repetitive salads from the BBQ the day before.

Nice place, nice atmosphere, quiet, yummy food and lovely grounds to sit in in the summer. We would stay again :) the only downside was it was a little pricy (approx £200 for two people for two nights).

Room Tip: Maybe get one a little further away from the entrance if you're concerned about noise but it was...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Went here for family birthday with 11 others. Very busy in bar etc as there was a wedding on but we were seated in restaurant immediately. Set menu of 3 courses for £25 seemed good value. Soup was great, large prices of duck in my starter but tiny cannelloni with it. Mains all came with veg but we were encouraged that we might want a couple of sides. Cabbage with bacon, broccoli and feta and one other at £3 each were extortionate. We were also offered bread which appears to be £1 a slice!! Mains of chicken and fish and beef all well cooked and presented but portions not massive or even large. Puddings on the other hand were tasty but big.
Lovely waiter kept our water glasses filled but they take away your wine. Why?? It drives me mad.
Considering we didn't drink a lot the drinks bill was pricey.
It was a nice special occasion birthday evening but I wouldn't rush to return.

Stayed October 2013
Preston, Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Not been here for years but attended a works function here last night. Very impressed with the new marquee extention. Service and staff very attentive. Had a slight problem with the wax from the candles dripping into our drinks apparently caused by the air con blowing our way. Swiftly dealt with.
Lovely set meal and massive cheeseboard! I know my company use the Villa alot and I can see why.
Fantastic venue for a wedding - recomended!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Room good .service good ,breakfast very poor .dinner only average .portions very small, the cheese and biscuits three tiny pieces,of foreign cheese one would have thought for a hotel in the heart of Lancashire
The cheese would have been say Lancashire.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Clifton Arms Hotel
#6 of 17 in Lytham St Anne's
Premier Inn Blackpool East (M55, Jct4) Hotel
Bartle Hall Country Hotel

Been to The Villa? Share your experiences!