“Excellent location for Fleetwood Nautical College”

Shard Riverside Hotel
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Shard provided ideal accommodation for my husband and me when we accompanied my son to his first day as a cadet officer at Fleetwood.
The good bits: excellent and friendly service, fabulous and imaginative food using local produce.
The oops: check-in on a Sunday early afternoon was through a very busy bar/restaurant, so we had to wait for about 10 minutes before the wonderful Angela could check us in. The upside: we could see and smell the delicious plates being carried through to diners, so we booked for a late lunch and dinner and we were not disappointed.

Rooms: Basic, but clean and light and airy. We were initially in room 17, a signature room on the second floor, but the noise of the kitchen fans below us was like Chinese Water torture, so we were moved to 21, along the corridor. This room was bigger and like 17 has a fabulous view across the river. Angela, who seems to be a manager, was eager to assist and we were lucky that the hotel was not full, so it was easy to move us.

The tea and coffee set is well equipped to include herbal teas and wrapped biscuits, but there is only one bottle of mineral water available and no glasses. A couple of flimsy plastic cups which are hygiene wrapped are in the ensuite, but are not adequate.

The ensuites in both rooms are basic but functional - roomy showers, no baths. The only toiletries available are a bottle of shower gel/hair wash and hand soap. No shower caps which would have been helpful. 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels which were fine for one night's stay.

Beds - seem to be built into the frames and mattresses are hard,perhaps overly firm. Beds are double - room 21 could have done with a kingsize as there was the space to accommodate it. Also in the room: sofa and flat screen TV. (room 17 had one armchair) No pictures in either room, although one wall is papered with decorative wallpaper, the design of which differs from room to room. Floors are wood, so I would be concerned about noise if I was on the first floor.

Dinner was in the restaurant overlooking the river. My husband had steak which was perfectly cooked to order, while I had slow cooked lamb, again very tasty. Breakfast was a bit of a let down - tinned grapefruit, 'plastic' juice and boxed cereals. However, the cooked section was good - the full English was well presented and according to my husband was very tasty. I had poached eggs which were perfect - and did not taste of vinegar, so often the problem in hotels.

The Shard does not claim to offer anything other than 'modern and comfortable' rooms, and for the price we felt we got extremely good value for money. Every member of staff was courteous and friendly. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: See my review about kitchen fans' noise. The rooms overlooking the river have wonderful views b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brigit S
Christopher H, Public Relations Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Hi Bisie,

Thanks for your detailed and thorough review. The close proximity to the Nautical Collage in Fleetwood serves us well and as a result we often welcome guests attending the collage. Next time you visiting the college do contact us for another friendly welcome to the Shard.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Shard Riverside Hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2012

On the strength of one Sunday lunch here 2 years ago, and finding it the nearest hotel to The Great Hall at Mains where my son's wedding was to take place this August Bank Holiday, we encouraged many family and friends to book rooms here for the weekend. Our confidence was not misplaced; booking in was a friendly, cheerfully chaotic process, with a couple of room changes to suit a wheelchair user- enquire which rooms have most space around the bed and in the shower room, N.B. there isn't a lift so access to rooms suitable-ish for guests with walking difficulties is up the steep hill in the carpark and through a fire-door onto the first floor. We were a large group so someone was always available to help, and the hotel staff were willing and able to provide help every time.For a real 'Disabled' hotel room, you would pick a Premier Inn, not here, but The Shard doesn't claim to be wheelchair friendly, etc, and they tried their best. There are a few strange discrepancies in the bedroom fittings that other reviewers have covered- e.g.why no hooks on some of the shower room doors for a dressing- gown? and full length mirrors are essential when going to a wedding! Clean, comfortable rooms , some with estuary views you could watch all day, and free wifi none of us had time to use.
Where the hotel reallyshone was in its kitchen - 32 of us booked in advance a 'Bachelor Dinner' for our son's last night as a single man. With the professional expertise and calm good sense of Angela the restaurant manager a 3course meal of local Lancashire recipes, with 3 choices for each course, was chosen and everyone pre-ordered. On the night there was praise for every single dish but the beefsteak, bacon and beer suet pudding was SUPERB! I am drooling over the memory, and I only had a taste of someone else's! Other highlights include the way the tables were arranged to accomodate a large party, the attentive smiling staff, the Morecambe Bay shrimps, the Bury black pudding with an apple-y gravy, the lamb hotpot, the big fat chips, the double chocolate brownie, sticky toffee pudding, the local cheeses... aaah! Memories....
Breakfasts offered all the usual suspects, with some interesting specialities like kippers, or smoked haddock with poached eggs and horseradish cream, rarely available but totally delicious ;again I think it pays to select something local; trust the proprietors- they have done the hard work for you, and have more to lose from bad publicity.
We have all promised to return to enjoy the riverside terrace -we were unable to this weekend as it was a case of Bank Holiday + Blackpool = Monsoon !!

Room Tip: Take and use ear-plugs if a kitchen extractor fan hum bothers you (north facing rooms overlook the s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank glorialotty

Hi,

Thanks for reviewing the Shard, glad you had a great stay-over and enjoyed Angela and our teams's hospitality. I'm pleased the bachelor meal worked out for you. I'm will pass on you kind comments to our kitchen staff.

Regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2012

The Shard Riverside is not quite a full service hotel, but a lot more than just a restaurant with rooms. It’s situated on a quiet backwater, both literally and metaphorically, close to, but far enough from the noise and bustle of Blackpool. If 4 ½ stars were available I’d give them, and I’d definitely stay here again, but relatively petty niggles don’t allow 5. Our room had a good view over the river and appeared recently renovated. The style was a bit plain for me, but that’s personal taste. For me the restaurant, bar and terrace were a bit lacking in decoration as well. The towel allocation seemed a bit mean, so we requested extra. Unfortunately these never turned up until we asked again on the second day. The niggles? Well the bottle of mineral water was a nice touch, but where were the glasses to drink it from? Instead of notices everywhere about the risk of scalding couldn’t you turn down the thermostat a few degrees? A pen or pencil and notepad would have been useful. And as we find so often, no mirror low enough for my wife to use seated.
The restaurant is worth a visit whether you are resident or not. The prices are reasonable and the quality and variety sufficient for us to eat in both nights. My selection of smoked fish was a good portion of salmon and mackerel with salad and bread. Delicious, but selection suggested more than two to me, and I had visions of trout, eel, and turbot maybe. The venison was overpowered by the mustard sauce, but hey, I should have read the menu closer. My wife’s Lamb Kofta looked delicious. Sticky toffee Pudding was great; but the ice cream? Well local doesn’t always mean good. The second day didn’t turn out so good. We waited over an hour for starters, but the Lamb Kofta was as good as the night before, and my wife steak was very good, but slightly overcooked. The delay didn’t allow time for desserts. I’m pretty sure the slow service was quite exceptional, so don’t let that put you off.
Considering the great evenings meals, breakfasts were disappointing. A limited range of fruit, and on the first morning our cooked breakfasts looked as if they’d dried out in the chaffer. On the second morning we struck lucky and got a freshly cooked batch, but the quality still wasn’t great.
On balance I’m sure most people would enjoy their stay here and find it good value. Iron out niggles and it will be great.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nottoogrumpy

Hi nottoogrumpy,

Thanks for your 4.5 star review.. your wide ranging comments are welcome. Due to our teams hard efforts and great value offered here at the Shard we have experienced a busy season. With this in mind I'm delighted your overall experience staying at the Shard was enjoyable.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

we initially came to the Shard for 2 weeks on a work related trip. In the event we stayed 2 months. Paul, the owner and his great team made our stay memorable. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The service was excellent and so very friendly. The Bar and Restaurant look out onto the Wyre River, beautiful location. The food fantastic and always served hot and fresh.
The room was furnished to a high standard, very modern and smart with crisp white linen. The shower room was a good size and again very modern. The whole impeccably clean and kept to the highest standard. To summarise, A quality hotel with an extremely efficient workforce who fully understand the needs of the client. Without doubt will visit again. K&P

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pan d

Hi K&P,

Many thanks for your extended stay-over at the Shard. All the team enjoyed getting to know you. I will pass on your warm thanks to Paul and the staff, and I'm pleased you enjoyed the tabe magic as well!

I know you also enjoyed exploring the local area, and I agree, it really is a lovely part of the world.

Do call in again if you are in the area, it will be great to see you again.

Many thanks

Reviewed 19 August 2012

stayed here for 1 night - work related stay. check in was trouble free, whole place very clean- luggage was brought to room due to stairs. Room was small but v clean. Shower large and hot dinner and breakfast both nice with good service. it was a very hot night so I had to have the window open as no air con and no fan in room. the window covering was a blind only so did make a noise with the window open. there was quite a bit of noise as other guests went upstairs to bed other than that was quiet. for me the bath towel wasnt big enough and there was no shelf in shower for gel and shampoo - just minor quibbles. Pillows were not my choice - a bit too hard!
I would stay again tho given whats available in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mariayd

Hi xxcharmed1xx,

Thanks for choosing the Shard for your business stay-over. Please do consider us again for your future traveling needs. I wil suggest to management room fans for those extra humid summer evenings.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

First class hotel with stunning reviews over the wyre estuary.very nice terrace outside for drinks and food.very polite and helpfull staff.very close to lytham st annes and Blackpool.will definately come again with our friends.

Maurice and Sarah Nahmad Macclesfield Cheshire 19 Aug 2012

Ps free wi fi

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maurice N

Hi Maurice N,

I'm delighted you had a lovely experience staying at our riverside hotel. It is a great base for exploring wether you was the thrills of Blackpool near by or the lovely coastline to enjoy. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

The Shard is located in a peaceful location and has the most wonderful friendly staff. A family run business with its service as top priority, very friendly and helpful. Rooms lovely, menu extensive with views over the river. Great place to stay for a while or perfectly placed to stay going from north to south or vice versa to break your journey up.

Copycat?????????? I dont think so!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view if thats important to you
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Hi Faith S,

Thanks for your review and for pointing out the family touch our hotel offers. It was nice of you to notice. Our team do work hard and try to ensure all guests receive that personal touch other places can't always offer. Do call again and enjoy our lovely setting.

Many thanks

#2 of 2 in Poulton Le Fylde
Hilton Blackpool Hotel
Hilton Blackpool Hotel
#36 of 73 in Blackpool

Been to Shard Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!