“River View with Style”

Shard Riverside Hotel
Tyne & Wear
“River View with Style”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

In a beautiful setting on the river bank, beautifully clean and tidy, friendly chatty staff, nice room if a little plain. Food was good, dinner and breakfast were well presented in a very nice dining room. Will use this again when visiting Fleetwood.

Room Tip: River view rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you. A delightful description of our hotel and service and we look forward to your revisiting us here at the Shard Riverside.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Heywood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just back from a two nights stay at the Shard celebrating my partner's 65th birthday and cannot praise it enough. We stayed in room number 6 and it was lovely, especially the views over the river which were stunning. The breakfast both mornings was very good and plentiful,just a pity I don't have a big appetite and couldn't do it justice!
We had the evening meal on my partners birthday and that too was excellent. Just like to give a big thank you to the member of staff in the restaurant who went to the trouble of buying my partner's birthday cake for me as a surprise for him. Much appreciated.

Room Tip: Room number 6 is a corner room and has a double aspect so views from both sides.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
It was our pleasure to welcome you and help you celebrate the 65th. Your thanks will be passed on to my Restaurant manager.
It is pleasing to note that you experienced and enjoyed our food here at the Shard, our chefs do a great job and their food is of high quality and all freshly prepared and served.
Room 6 has to be one of my favourites with the views over and down the river and I am pleased that this added to your great stay and celebrations here.
Whitstable, Kent
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Returned to one of my favourite hotels as work took me back to the North West for the first time in 6 months.
Greeted warmly, rooms still comfortable and warm. The free wifi is excellent and the food really is fantastic

This place is a well-run, friendly establishment with excellent customer service, great food and in a picturesque setting - couldn't ask for more.

Hope to return soon

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
As I have no doubt said before.....it is extremely rewarding for us all to hear that our guests return on many occasions and comment on our maintaining of the high standards they had previously experienced.
This amazing location awaits your next visit. Thank you for another complimentary review of our hotel services.
Badby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Shard Riverside. We arrived on a Friday night after battling with the M6, and were immediately welcomed and made to feel relaxed and comfortable.

My son, a cadet officer at Fleetwood nautical college, joined us for dinner - the menu is varied and imaginative and boasts local produce and home produced artisan bread. Dinner worked out at about £25 per head - 2 courses including wine and drinks. Really good!

Accommodation is good value. We stayed in room 18 (signature room?) which is on the top floor and overlooks the river. The accommodation is clean with simple but stylish fittings, and has good storage space, flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities. No herbal teas though! The flooring is wood, so we did wonder if our neighbours below could hear us walking about?

The bed was comfy- no complaints although it was a small double bed for 2 tall people, built into a wood base. One night was ok, but no more. The room is certainly big enough for a king size bed.

The ensuite shower room is small but there is a good sized shower cubicle, and there were 2 quality cotton, bath towels and 2 hand towels which were still fluffy and not tired. My only criticism was that there is no suitable shelving for a wash bag, (small glass shelf) but we pointed this out to the manager who was very happy to take on board our comments.

Breakfast was ok. There was no fresh fruit even though this is on the menu. However, the waitress was happy to seek out a banana for me. We asked for some of the artisan bread to be toasted which was good. Poached eggs for me were excellent and my husband had a full English breakfast. There was a choice of orange and apple juices, and they were disappointing - cartoned juice. I had to ask for a glass of water and suggest that a jug of water should be available on the buffet. Cereals were small variety packs, but there was no muesli other than very sweet Alpen. A small bowl of granola was available to sprinkle over yoghurt? But not enough for one person's cereal. I guess I could have asked for more and I am sure the staff would have obliged.

This hotel makes no pretensions to luxury, however, the staff and their excellent attitude to guests makes the Shard Riverside stand out as 5 star. Nothing is too much trouble and you really get the feeling that most of the staff enjoy working there. We recognised a couple from our previous visit, and Roz, who took my booking surprisingly remembered me.

We will definitely stay at the Shard's newish sister hotel in Lancaster as we frequently travel up to Scotland, so a good stopping off point.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
A comprehensive review of your time here and thank you for taking the time to compliment our '5star' services.
Your comments will be taken on board as we continually seek areas to improve/enhance our guest experience.
The team here will always respond to guest requests and ensure they have everything required or more!
thanks again
I am sure our sister hotel will welcome you and provide the standards we both aspire to.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Ignore the petty criticism !! Nice location , free wifi , tastefully decorated modern furnished room with nice view and sony internet tv, good shower.
The bar and restaurant is smart with a view overlooking the river.
I would definately stay at the Shard again it's a well run establishment and good value for money thank you for nice stay!

2 adults 2 children aged 5 and 9

• Stayed February 2014
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi there! It was a pleasure to welcome your family to our hotel and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will return to visit us again in the future.
On behalf of all the team who had the pleasure of looking after you....thank you for your comments.
I can assure you that your 'petty criticism' reference brought a smile to my face!!
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had a one night stay here with my young family. We didn't use the restaurant for evening meal as we were at a family party in the evening but the menu looked very good and there were plenty of locals in which is always a good sign.
Room was clean with good t.v well decorated and a nice view over the water.
Shower was decent and spacious water plenty warm enough.
Breakfast was very good plenty of cereals and toast to go with whatever you wanted from the chef. Sausage was of a good standard.
I wasn't feeling that well during our stay so was pleased that it was so comfortable.
The only negative I could find was that there was no lift and we were on third floor so lots of carrying up the stairs (my wife takes loads of stuff and we have a baby).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and we are pleased that you and your young family enjoyed a comfortable stay here. Our breakfast are lauded by many guests and I'm sure helped with the energy required for your luggage carrying!! Unfortunately we have no lift to assist and I can sympathise with your comments having assisted with many guests luggage during long haul stays!
We hope you return and get to enjoy our fantastic menu and restaurant service.
Haworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

26 of us booked for a Birthday meal here. Most of the food was ok, steak was definately overpriced. The service was average. Not enough bar staff on the bar. Asked the young girl waiteress for a drink which never turned up. Brought out the starters in dribs and drabs by the time the end of the table got their starter they were coming out with the mains at the beginning of the table then we had to wait 10 minutes plus for our mains after the beginning of the table. The last meal out was about 5 minutes later and looked poor, i.e not cooked enough, it was as though they were rushing. On the plus side they did let us bring and eat our own birthday cake. Would go again to see if they improved.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cookiedra
Thanks for your review and apologies that you seem to have not experienced the best visit and one that reflects our normal and continually applauded service standards.
Dealing with parties of this size can throw up or highlight issues. Normal practice would include a pre-order being obtained for such numbers. On this occasion, no pre-order being in place, it was decided to break down the orders into smaller groups and process the orders accordingly. This decision was confirmed and accepted by the head of your group on arrival.
Issues that you express with regard service and food standards however leave me somewhat puzzled!
So many members of your party, and in particularly the 'birthday girl', expressed their delight and thanks to my restaurant manager and staff for such a wonderful time and great food and service.
That aside we look forward to your return as you mentioned and hope we improve your experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poulton Le Fylde
#4 of 73 in Blackpool
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to Shard Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!