“Charming Hotel”

Shard Riverside Hotel
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Charming Hotel”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel two years ago, at that time we stayed in a room on the second floor, which was modern, clean and tidy, but had wooden floors which made us feel guilty wondering if the occupants below could here us. This time, staying on the first floor we instantly noticed the room had carpet, again the room was clean, tidy and perfectly adequate for our needs. However, the floor boards to shower room was squeeky which was annoying when getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. The other dislike was our room No 2, was overlooking the car park, no problem in it's self but the window was at eye level to the car park which meant ever time we needed to get dressed or undressed we had to drop the blind and put the light on. The bed was not to my liking as I suffer with my back, but to be far to the hotel I have yet to find a bed that suits me, other than my own Hypnos Bed. Although, there appears to be a few negatives about this hotel, Value for money could not be challenged, the food at Dinner and Breakfast was fabulous, Staff great, location suited us perfectly and overhaul would have no hesitation in staying again or recommended this hotel. Well Done

Room Tip: Make a list or your requirement first and then contact the Hotel direct, I am sure this hotel will f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
The negatives are simply preferences and opinions and we are delighted that our services and food were of a high standard for you to enjoy and we appreciate your review and comments.
We look forward to your next stay with us and, as you stated, we always look to consider our guests requirements for their stay and to match them where possible.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here in May 2014 for 2 nights with our 3 year old to attend a family wedding across the River Wyre. This Hotel lived up to all it's expectations, great peaceful location, clean and friendly staff. Breakfast was fab and hot, great views from the breakfast room, very accommodating with a fussy toddler. Only disadvantage this hotel doesn't have a lift, but only has two floors and must bring your own flannels as these are not provided, so not all bad. Our room (Luxury/Deluxe Room) Double bed and fold out sofa bed suitable for
3 -4 persons and on a clear day can see the Blackpool Tower in the distance. Paul and Alan and the rest of the staff, thanks for a great couple of nights and if The Shard Riverside is this great, then your sister hotel The Mill on Condor Green has got to be just as good if not better.

Room Tip: Luxury/Deluxe Room suitable for 2 adults and 1 or 2 children, consisting of one double bed and a fol...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Great review and we thank you for taking the time to offer your experience to future guests. We do pride ourselves here on all the standards required by our guests and we seem to have achieved our high levels. As for our sister hotel.............we will accept that beat us on the 'lift' availability but will fight our corner on the rest!!!!!
Neyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Wow - what a find. This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting. We have family not far away in Thornton, so it was a very convenient place to stay. The room was clean, comfortable and well serviced. Parking is free and the breakfasts are fabulous. OK, so if everyone goes down to breakfast at the same time you might have to wait a little BUT I would rather wait for a freshly cooked breakfast than queue up at a 'hot' buffet where everything has become congealed and unappetizing. We also had all the family over to the hotel one evening for dinner, which was also fabulous. I cannot speak too highly of Paul, Alan and their staff and we will certainly hope to be able to book again the next time we are visiting our family.

Room Tip: I think any of the rooms would be acceptable
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
...and you return will be most welcome. So pleased that your stay was 'perfect' in all respects for your family visit. Thank you for your very complimentary review of the standards here.
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Shard has an impressive setting. The restaurant has lovely views of the bridge over the Wyre as the sun goes down and its easy to forget one is near the bustle of Blackpool. It has an interesting, extensive menu and the staff were all very pleasant. The room was very clean and smart but seemed a bit sterile to us with its rugless wooden floor and white paint. However, we were disappointed to find that the deluxe room we booked only had a 4ft 6ins wide bed (which I understand all the rooms have) so sleep was not so good. Also toiletries were confined to wall dispensers.
It is an useful location for visiting Blackpool and Fleetwood (which can be reached via bus 2C to Knott End then ferry across the river mouth).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
An honest review and we appreciate your time. A great reflection on the convenience of our location, proximity to nearby towns and its stunning views.
Our rooms are presented to offer a clean and welcoming environment but, unfortunately, accommodate only standard double beds. We apologise if this was an inconvenience during your brief stay.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Wonderful stay in a fabulous hotel. Good value, clean and large room. In a great position near the river. Close to Fleetwood and Blackpool, but in quiet surroundings. Easy to find. Private car park. Enjoyable cooked breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for your kind words, simple and to the point........a 'Ronseal' review....we offer exactly what it says on the tin!! See you on your next visit and thanks again.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The 2 greatest assets any hotel can have are cleanliness and good staff . I will have to say the Shard has both. The whole hotel was immaculate and I could not find fault with any part. The staff were very friendly , and offered advice when asked. As far as the restaurant is , I can't say it was the best meal I ever had , but it wasn't the worse either , just felt the food was bland , and the service was quiet slow. The breakfast was good but again not fantastic. Overall I would recommend this hotel as some where nice to stay when visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
For your recommendations to stay we thank you and accept that we do not appear to have delighted your taste buds in the way that we have achieved with so many of our guests here.
Overall a satisfactory and honest review and we do hope that your return in the near future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a good night's sleep at the Shard but woke up to a broken shower. Had to go downstairs for help and was offered to have a shower in the boss's private chambers. Used the shower which had clearly been used by this man in the morning. So far so good. Best thing done in an arkward situation. When I then enquired how much money I was getting off the full price (which isn't small considering the area!), I soon found myself in a discussion how this was totally acceptable and how I should pay the full price. The manager was not to be reached either. When I insisted on not paying full price as I hadn't booked shared shower rooms with strangers, I was grudgingly given £20 back on my credit card. Needless to say that my overnight trip was the opposite of restful and chilled. I am really disappointed as I had looked forward to staying there! After this experience I cannot recommend the Shard at all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Anna K
Alan B, General Manager at Shard Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
I find your review extremely difficult to accept.
As the General Manager here, I responded to your problem immediately, apologising and allowing you to use the private bathroom suite of the hotel owners. Total privacy and an alternate to the problem in your room.
The room had already been charged earlier in the morning as per our express check out service.
Following your obvious disappointment at having been charged fully, I chose to refund as another apology. The owners were not available but in my capacity the decision was mine.
You received a significant discount (31%) and my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Within 24 hours you choose to write a poor review of our highly rated hotel to Trip Advisor!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poulton Le Fylde
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,293 reviews
Savoy Hotel - Fleetwood
Savoy Hotel - Fleetwood
#2 of 3 in Fleetwood

Been to Shard Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!